McDonalds All American game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McDonalds All American game

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Crystal just can't stop giving directions. ;)

Crystal Dangerfield was a McDonald’s All-American in 2016 and the senior point guard had advice for the future Huskies in the game.
“Showcase the talents that got you there,” she said. “Enjoy the moments that you’ll have off of the court, going to Ronald McDonald House, being around the other All-Americans you may not know … Just have a lot of fun.”
Coach Dangerfield!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
With all this renewed chatter about Van Lith, she's playing in a game that's about a 5 minute walk from my house tomorrow afternoon. I probably better go watch it.

Well that was interesting. I can't recall ever seeing a highly rated women's bball prospect play in HS before, so I have no frame of reference. The competition level was really low, so it's hard to take anything from it. Van Lith was fairly quiet to start the game, had some nice dishes, a few buckets. I think they were up 18-9 after Q1. She completely took over in Q2, pretty much all hero ball, but the other team couldn't stop it. It was 44-22 at the half and I think she outscored the other team by herself. She missed most of her 3's but was really good mid range and driving. She also had a bunch of steals around mid court that led to uncontested layups. I didn't keep a tally but I think she finished in the high 30s or right around 40. Played almost the whole game. If she wasn't on the court it probably would've been a fairly close game, Cashmere might've still won. With her it was a 21 point margin and it really wasn't that close. She was just so much better than anyone else on the floor for either team, it's like she was playing a different game.

Cashmere brought a fair number of fans, 2+ hour drive. It's a small gym but it was packed and it was loud. Fun environment. Washington coach Jody Wynn's daughter is supposed to be on the other team but she didn't play and I'm not sure if she was even on the bench. She's a decent prospect for '22, but nothing like Van Lith.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I have to add, the "get pumped up" music they had blaring over the speakers during warmups and shooting drills was awful. I guess I'm officially old. It was some kind of rap/rock hybrid. I guess if you don't have vocal talent, just sing and yell louder.

Oh yeah, this was different too. King's is a private Christian school, before the game they started w/ a prayer. Then the entire King's team sang the National Anthem, that was pretty cool.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
:eek: Not really! In 2019 there were 7 Pac-12 players out of 24.

These are the numbers for the last 4 years.

View attachment 50208

More significant IMO is looking at where these kids play their junior and senior seasons considering close to half likely will transfer. Oregon has a great class, but how many end up staying more than a year or 2?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
More significant IMO is looking at where these kids play their junior and senior seasons considering close to half likely will transfer. Oregon has a great class, but how many end up staying more than a year or 2?
The transfer rate is closer to closer to 1/3 than it is to half. Actual number is 35%. See names and numbers below.
1580396705190.png

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The transfer rate is closer to closer to 1/3 than it is to half. Actual number is 35%. See names and numbers below.
View attachment 50425

Thanks for this. 2018 class likely has more coming and 2016 also has Young who left before her senior year even if it wasn't a transfer. Whatever the number is, it still illustrates the point that where players end up as upperclassmen is more significant IMO than where they enter college. They're usually much better players by that point and taking on larger roles.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
View attachment 50425

This got me curious about other years, so I looked.
YearTotal PlayersTransfersNames of Transfers
2014249Calhoun (2x), Edwards, Middleton, Mariya Moore, Jatarie White, Recee Caldwell, Gabby Green, Rice, Chatrice White
2013248*Brown, Davis, DeShields, Mavunga, Reimer, Smalls, Dahlman (Grad Transfer), Harper, Washington

*Kailee Johnson left the team but remained a student at Stanford..I'm pretty sure.
2012242Sierra Moore & Alexis Jones
2011245*Fagbenle (Grad Transfer), Banks, Krystal Forthan, Morgan Jones, Peoples

*Ariya Crook-Williams was dismissed from USC. Don't think she played elsewhere.
201024 4*Tiffany Moore (Not sure where she went), Sherbert, Horn (Grad Transfer), Walker

*Ronika Ransford I believe was dismissed from UGA. Not sure where she wound up.
2009244*Stallworth, Taylor, Bone, Destiny Williams

Two players of the 24 medically retired early (Rogers and Reed) and Oliver was listed as USC but never enrolled. Played for Rutgers
2008246*Gray, EDD, Dixon, Pope, Brewer, Dunning

*Gray was not cleared to play by UT for a heart issue so chose to transfer to Xavier so she could play.
2007241*Strickland

*Lenita Sanford was ruled academically ineligible for Cal, CC route then UNLV.

Tyra White was listed as LSU, switched after Pokey was let go and played all four years at TAMU
2006244*Porsha Phillips, Amber Harris, Michelle Harrison, Dee Dee Jernigan

*Danielle Wilson left Baylor before her senior year. Finished three years later at Div 2 college.

Epiphanny Prince left school early to play Professionally in Europe.

Reaction Score
Well that was interesting. I can't recall ever seeing a highly rated women's bball prospect play in HS before, so I have no frame of reference. The competition level was really low, so it's hard to take anything from it. .------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
More WCBB fans should watch some high school basketball. I would give them a better perspective on how stats, athleticism, and other skills translate to the next level. One factor to consider is that in high school the skill level between the top and bottom players or teams is vast although with more players playing year-round that has narrowed somewhat. The difference in production between competing against high-level defenders vs low skill level players can certainly help evaluate how those skills will translate to the next level as well.

As with nwhoopfans experience, the high school basketball that people see is usually at a low level unless you live in one of the few high school hotbeds or go to the top national tournaments like Nike in Arizona or state playoffs in power states. They do have the EYBL that includes the top AAU teams in the country and those games give about as good of a perspective as one can get. As too high school, there are tens of thousands of teams and hundreds of thousands of players at various skill levels spread throughout the country so it is a herculean task to even attempt to evaluate all the players.

I don't follow high school basketball nationally as much as I used to, but during the time that I did, It gave me a modicum of a perspective of how skills translate from one level to the next. It seems that most women's basketball fans usually stick to one nitch and do not follow all three- high school- college and professional. If the opportunity does present itself, it is both interesting and informative to watch elite players transition their way up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom