McDonalds AA | Page 4 | The Boneyard

McDonalds AA

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Here we go.....

I want to preface this that I am assuming that all RS Juniors return and nobody leaves early for the WNBA draft! If they declare or leave early I will remove them.. (additions are in RED)

1. Tennessee (9)--Cooper, Middleton, Nared, DeShields, Russell, Davis, Hayes, Kushkituah, Westbrook.

2. Lousivlle (8)--Johnson, Shook, Durr, Fuehring, Hines-Allen, Moore, Evans, Kakala
Notre Dame (8)--Boley, Young Mabrey, Ogunbowale, Patberg, Westbeld, Turner, Patterson
Texas (8)--Holmes, Higgs, Hosey, White, Atkins, McCarty, Booth, Patterson

5. UCONN (6)--Dangerfield, Samuelson, Collier, Williams, Coombs, Walker
Baylor (6)--Chou, Cox, Mompremier, Brown, Morris, Richards
Maryland (6)--Charles, Watson Slocum, Fraser, Gillespie, Small
Duke (6)--Odom, Lambert, Belton, Brown, Greenwell, Williams

9. Stanford (5)--Carrington, Fingall, Johnson, Dodson, Williams
UCLA (5)--Corsaro, Hearn, Canada, Drummer, Onyenwere
Ohio State (5)--McCoy, Calhoun, Mitchell, Mavunga, Harper

12. Southern California (4)--Edwards, Adams, Clark, Littleton

13. California (3)--Anigwe, Cowling, Smith
South Carolina (3)--Cuevas-Moore, Wilson, Davis
North Carolina (3)--Walker, Watts, Bailey

16. Florida State (2)--Thomas, White
Michigan State (2)--Reimer, Cooks

Teams with 1 McDonald's AA in 2017-2018

Texas Christian (TCU)
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Harvard
Oregon
Vanderbilt
Penn State
Georgia
Kentucky
Washington
Missouri
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Kansas
LSU
Texas A&M
Your list is great to put the selections improper perspective. Obviously, it's a good thing to have talented and accomplished players. But if the number of McD AA selections was the determining factor, UConn would not be #1. The list though the current season suggests that UConn, FSU, Baylor, and SC are overachievers and Tennessee, Louisville, and Texas are underachievers.

Reaction Score
This is the public opinion of the McDonalds All American game where the perception of actual talent is least impactful on making the team

C2tmCGCUQAAvuMl.jpg

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Seriously your going to correct me a simple mistake we have so much more to worry about in today's world and your going to correct my spelling... U must be a Harvard grad!!! Seriously get a life!!
I find it ironic that you now take this stance considering how much angst you are exhibiting over the pushback you are getting on your rather obnoxious post of "who cares". Triad had provided significant insight to us BYers on numerous players while you provided nothing but a rather negative tone. So yes, we are mocking you. Lighten up Francis!

Reaction Score
Lucky for me Im a fan of the Duke Football an MCBB program as well. Hows the UCONN football program looking these days? MCBB ? :cool:
Really. You're going to pull that crap ? You do know that there is literally no difference between the history of Duke or UConn football and that when the games have mattered, the UConn men are 2-0 against Duke in the Final Four.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is the public opinion of the McDonalds All American game where the perception of actual talent is least impactful on making the team

C2tmCGCUQAAvuMl.jpg
It is an interesting poll, but ... how does one define 'actual talent' and isn't that really what National Ranking is really trying to do as well - define the actual talent, a flawed process but one that no one seems to be able to better. What I am sort of saying is that the last two should be combined into a single line with 47%. It is still interesting that people taking the poll still think that at less than 50%, and College Choice and Travel Team pretty much split the 53%.

Has anybody actually checked the AAs vs. HG or any of the other rankings - I assume the top 15 are represented, and then ... I could see them needing to start selecting some players by position to balance the actual teams on the floor.

People do like conspiracy theories.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Having been trained in 6 Sigma, the sample size of 93 respondents is insignificant as it lends itself to direct biases of audience, voter reoccurrence, voter ignorance and article preamble that may have already "poisoned" the poll. Is the process perfect? It's subjective so of course the process isn't perfect. As noted, McDonald's is driven by a game so it needs two rosters of logical positions-PG, SG, SF, PF, C. One of the things I have noticed in watching WCBB these past 17 years is the Travel Team players have more polish to their games and can contribute almost immediately-Crystal Dangerfield vs. Kyla as an example. It is pretty tough for non-travel to catch up on game speed, travel and intensity in the first half or even the first full season of College hoop. Also 3 of the options already assess "Talent" in their evaluations- travel teams will only take their view of talent, colleges only sign their view of talent and National Rankings like Prospect Nation, Hoop Gurlz or USA Basketball all try their hand at assessing. Also note some peak early, some peak late, some lose interest and some suffer injuries that limit their development. Seems to me that KLS, Asia Durr, Napheesa were all top 10 coming out and have shown me they were Evaluated correctly. Lauren Cox, Crystal Dangerfield and Joyner Holmes from last year also look like the real deals.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So I went ahead and compared this list to HG:
upload_2017-1-22_11-59-21.png

1. Red - Horvat is Australian so wasn't under consideration
2. Purple - top 24 Americans not selected (1-25)
3. Green - not in top 25 selected to teams.
Caveat - I only used HG, and it would probably be better to use an average of the HS rankings because there are always strange anomalous rankings for specific players - e.g. Kushkitauh who had been very highly ranked in HG initially (top 10 I think) and then dropped drastically maybe two years ago, but has retained a much higher ranking in other services.

What stands out to me is:
1. 20 of the top 24 americans in HG rankings are included - that is really close correlation and I would expect a similar result from the other services as well or from an average of all services.

2. The top 18 Americans in HG rankings made the team. The first in their ranking to not make the team is ranked 20/19 for Americans.

3. Of the four selected outside the top 24, three are centers - team balancing one suspects and they are three of the next five post prospects in HG. The fourth player is a guard ranked by HG at 33 replacing the highest ranked player not selected, another guard ranked #20. When you get outside the top 15 rankings for the 1000s of HS players, the rankings are going to start fluctuating quite a bit - a difference in 5-10 positions in ranking is not going to be that uncommon. Just as when you rank college teams in a pool of 350, the evaluations of teams outside the top ten start fluctuating significantly and when you get outside the top 20 it gets really confusing.

So whatever the perception of the public, the evaluation process for McD AA seems to follow closely the evaluation of HS talent generally, and while we all know that depends on exposure, which means traveling teams (HS and AAU), that is a given based on the nationwide nature of the beast, the volume of players to be evaluated, the wide diversity of competition, and the limited funds of those doing evaluations.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-22_11-54-1.png
    upload_2017-1-22_11-54-1.png
    200.5 KB · Views: 63

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Has anybody actually checked the AAs vs. HG or any of the other rankings - I assume the top 15 are represented, and then ... I could see them needing to start selecting some players by position to balance the actual teams on the floor.
Yes if you compare the McD's AA vs rankings (combined rankings - Bluestar/Prospect Nation/Hoopgurlz/ASGR) the first 14 ranked players make it. Then 16 and 17. Then the lower ranked players 21-24, 26, 27 are pretty much all Posts. As I said somewhere in this thread or a similar one on here, the McD's is a game, so they have to get PG/G/W/F/Ps to make the game playable. Not just the top 24 kids. But it pretty much follows the rankings.

Littleton and Kiana Smith are the lowest ranked (29 and 31). But they are from CA and are on the West team. As opposed to AEH and Boykin who are eastcoast. ???? That might have played into it also.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes if you compare the McD's AA vs rankings (combined rankings - Bluestar/Prospect Nation/Hoopgurlz/ASGR) the first 14 ranked players make it. Then 16 and 17. Then the lower ranked players 21-24, 26, 27 are pretty much all Posts. As I said somewhere in this thread or a similar one on here, the McD's is a game, so they have to get PG/G/W/F/Ps to make the game playable. Not just the top 24 kids. But it pretty much follows the rankings.

Littleton and Kiana Smith are the lowest ranked (29 and 31). But they are from CA and are on the West team. As opposed to AEH and Boykin who are eastcoast. ???? That might have played into it also.
West coast also is probably a smidgen under-ranked in HS rankings because all of the ranking services are east coast or southern/tx based. Not a significant difference, but I bet more HS games for east coast kids get seen/reported on outside of the big tournaments.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
West coast also is probably a smidgen under-ranked in HS rankings because all of the ranking services are east coast or southern/tx based. Not a significant difference, but I bet more HS games for east coast kids get seen/reported on outside of the big tournaments.
Glenn Nelson-one of the original founders of HoopGurlz is still based out in the North West and still ranking and championing West Coast girls players. Glenn is working under a different name now "trail Posse" ?? or something like that but he operating in the same circles of influence with ESPN-Hoopgurlz, All-star Girls Report, Blue Star media & Prospects Nation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom