McDermott Coaching Future | The Boneyard

McDermott Coaching Future

Reaction Score
Not sure what McDermott gets paid at Creighton. I assume less than a B10 or ACC school would pay. Watching what he's done this year is impressive. Obviously he has our number. Beyond that, the mountain of **** that was piled against him last year had most of us thinking his future at Creighton was not bright. Accusations or racism. Losing most of his team. Decommit of a high profile recruit. Losing his star PG to injury. I would not of bet on these results. It's impressive.

What are the chances of a larger school poaching him? In particular if he gets a win or two in the NCAA.

Reaction Score
If I’m Georgia or someone like that I’m going after him with a bushel of cash

Reaction Score
Not sure what McDermott gets paid at Creighton. I assume less than a B10 or ACC school would pay. Watching what he's done this year is impressive. Obviously he has our number. Beyond that, the mountain of **** that was piled against him last year had most of us thinking his future at Creighton was not bright. Accusations or racism. Losing most of his team. Decommit of a high profile recruit. Losing his star PG to injury. I would not of bet on these results. It's impressive.

What are the chances of a larger school poaching him? In particular if he gets a win or two in the NCAA.
He's leaving Creighton when he retires from coaching. He's finally getting top recruits and has that program humming.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I guess. Just seems like an extra million/year is tough to turn down.

Reaction Score

I assume he’s got the Mark Few thing going. Probably loves the school and the city, he’s revered and isn’t working under a microscope like coaches on the coasts (if the mess last year didn’t knock him out), and I’d assume he’s pulling down at least 3M per. Sure he could probably make twice that elsewhere, but you can’t buy happiness and not everyone needs the largest possible number on their W-2 to be fulfilled.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Us, Nova, Creighton is the new big 3 of the Big East - I think Marquette will push to make it a big 4 with Shaka - Providence can't sustain this type of season year to year - but as some have said DePaul could be a sleeping giant as it appears they may have found the right coach - time will tell

Reaction Score
Yeah. I guess. Just seems like an extra million/year is tough to turn down.
That might be true for most, but his kid is in the NBA so its not like his family is even close to struggling financially. I think he's perfectly comfortable where he is, and he's got a really good team with a promising future.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
He's from the midwest so I don't see why he would consider a school in the heart of the SEC. Additionally, Georgia has been dead-end job for quite some time now.

As he left Iowa St (not Iowa but still) for Creighton when they were still a Missouri Valley school so I imagine there's some allure to that school for him beyond the almighty dollar.

Reaction Score
He could be coaching a blueblood program with his talent.

Reaction Score
McDermott had a rough time at Iowa State going 59-68 overall and 18-46 in the Big 12. It looks like he left for Creighton before he was fired. And Creighton is a really good job that was under the radar before they joined the Big East. They were ranked #5 in college basketball attendance in 2019/2020.

Reaction Score

In 2019, Greg took home more than $1.5 Million, including his base salary of $1.2 Million and other bonus amounts. In 2017, McDermott rejected Ohio State University's offer as their head coach, who paid a base salary of $3.5 Million for the head coach. His son Doug currently plays for the Indiana Pacers with whom he signed a three-year/ $22,000,000 worth contract in 2018.

Reaction Score
He hasn't had the post-season or regular success to really warrant being poached. Last year was his first sweet 16 and Jay Wright has owned the conference regular seasons. He also didn't do very well at Iowa St. But I could see them going to elite 8/final four next year and him getting hired away by a blue blood or someone that pays like one. He's changed his coaching style since the Iowa St days (in interview he said it was 2011 postseason that he tweaked it, think I got that from a Dauster podcast) and is now a really elite coach. Only one year with less than 20 wins since 2011.

Reaction Score
I think McDermott would be smart to stay at Creighton....they can be the Nova/Gonzaga of the mid-west.

Unless a Kansas or KY comes calling stay put.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I assume he’s got the Mark Few thing going. Probably loves the school and the city, he’s revered and isn’t working under a microscope like coaches on the coasts (if the mess last year didn’t knock him out), and I’d assume he’s pulling down at least 3M per. Sure he could probably make twice that elsewhere, but you can’t buy happiness and not everyone needs the largest possible number on their W-2 to be fulfilled.
Well said. My least favorite saying, that seems to justify just about any action, is "business is business". If that's your motto-best of luck.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Us, Nova, Creighton is the new big 3 of the Big East - I think Marquette will push to make it a big 4 with Shaka - Providence can't sustain this type of season year to year - but as some have said DePaul could be a sleeping giant as it appears they may have found the right coach - time will tell
I agree that these three programs are currently, and for the foreseeable future, the elites of the Big East, and every one else belongs on tiers below them. I also like Shaka and MQ's chances of rising to the elite tier at some point. However, I do not think that both MQ and DePaul can co-exist on an elite tier. They are competing for the same recruits and they are in B10 country, something's gotta give.

Reaction Score

In 2019, Greg took home more than $1.5 Million, including his base salary of $1.2 Million and other bonus amounts. In 2017, McDermott rejected Ohio State University's offer as their head coach, who paid a base salary of $3.5 Million for the head coach. His son Doug currently plays for the Indiana Pacers with whom he signed a three-year/ $22,000,000 worth contract in 2018.
$1.3 million is like $3 million in Omaha!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
He's changed his coaching style since the Iowa St days (in interview he said it was 2011 postseason that he tweaked it, think I got that from a Dauster podcast) and is now a really elite coach.
Interesting, I'm curious as to what changes he's made and frankly I did not pay attention to him enough at IA St. to recognize a difference. Do you recall the substance?

Reaction Score
According to Google he makes $1.3 million
Wow. Well, same difference I suppose. 1 or 2 years banking that in Omaha and the average person would never have to work again.

Reaction Score
$1.3 million is like $3 million in Omaha!
Zillow Omaha and get ready to be depressed (or to start making moving plans). Unfortunately, you’d be in Omaha.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
He’s a great coach. I love to see his game plans against different teams. I obviously have watched a lot of UConn and PC this year and McDermott game plans against those teams are geniusly designed.
If it takes a genius to realize cutting off Cole & Sanogo from the offense is how you hamstring our offense, then I have an IQ of 200.

Not only did he game plan accordingly, he got his team to execute that plan. THAT is what makes him a great coach.

Reaction Score
If Creighton wins the BE and makes some noise in the tournament, with the freshman talent they have it might be time for a renegotiation of his contract.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom