McDermott Coaching Future | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McDermott Coaching Future

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I agree that these three programs are currently, and for the foreseeable future, the elites of the Big East, and every one else belongs on tiers below them. I also like Shaka and MQ's chances of rising to the elite tier at some point. However, I do not think that both MQ and DePaul can co-exist on an elite tier. They are competing for the same recruits and they are in B10 country, something's gotta give.
That's a good point about MQ and DePaul - didn't really think about that, but in the day and age of the transfer portal who knows!

Reaction Score
It really bothers me when UConn fans talk about other Big East schools getting poached when we are on the same boat. Greg isnt leaving. Creighton is a great job and so is the Big East. Im sure they'll pay up to keep him

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
It really bothers me when UConn fans talk about other Big East schools getting poached when we are on the same boat. Greg isnt leaving. Creighton is a great job and so is the Big East. Im sure they'll pay up to keep him
Not all jobs in the same league are created equal

Reaction Score
Creighton sneakily has a lot of money to spend. Berkshire is based in Omaha. They can spend the money as needed.
Joe Ricketts (owner of Cubs) and Mark Walter (founder/ceo of Guggenheim partners and part owner of Dodgers) are also some pretty wealthy alumni who I would expect to help out if someone came to poach him

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. He was offered the Ohio State job 5 years ago and turned it down. McDermott has plenty of money as does Creighton, if he tells them he deserves to be paid more they will pay him more. There aren't too many jobs better than Creighton and it's family to him, his son is a legend there.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
He's from the midwest so I don't see why he would consider a school in the heart of the SEC. Additionally, Georgia has been dead-end job for quite some time now.

As he left Iowa St (not Iowa but still) for Creighton when they were still a Missouri Valley school so I imagine there's some allure to that school for him beyond the almighty dollar.
Omaha has been good enough for Warren Buffet.

Reaction Score
Omaha is a great place. It is supremely underrated. Particularly, if you are the toast of the town like McDermott is. One of those cities North-easterners ignorantly bash.

Edit: is that auto-correct of Northeasterners correct? Never seen that before.

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. He was offered the Ohio State job 5 years ago and turned it down. McDermott has plenty of money as does Creighton, if he tells them he deserves to be paid more they will pay him more. There aren't too many jobs better than Creighton and it's family to him, his son is a legend there.
I knew you loved Dougie McD! Mt Rushmore here we come

Reaction Score
Omaha is a great place. It is supremely underrated. Particularly, if you are the toast of the town like McDermott is. One of those cities North-easterners ignorantly bash.

I''ve found that people from the northeast tend to not know much about the country.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Gorat’s!

Reaction Score
Us, Nova, Creighton is the new big 3 of the Big East - I think Marquette will push to make it a big 4 with Shaka - Providence can't sustain this type of season year to year - but as some have said DePaul could be a sleeping giant as it appears they may have found the right coach - time will tell
Dont sleep on St. Johns. They have a really good coach. If he can pull in the recruits that program could be among the best in the conference.

Reaction Score
If it takes a genius to realize cutting off Cole & Sanogo from the offense is how you hamstring our offense, then I have an IQ of 200.

Not only did he game plan accordingly, he got his team to execute that plan. THAT is what makes him a great coach.
It goes without saying when I say he had a great game plan, that also includes the execution of that game plan. It needs to be understandable and executable by the players to be a “great game plan”. Chief thought people understood that, but I now know not everyone did. Thanks for letting me know that.

Reaction Score
I''ve found that people from the northeast tend to not know much about the country.
When Chief was in my late twenties to early forties, I had various regions (West Coast, Southwest, Northeast, Midwest, Southeast and TX/OK). I never had the Rocky Mountains or Mid Atlantic. It was a great experience traveling on business and getting to know people throughout the country. There are regional differences, but very smart and successful people everywhere. The people who think the Northeast has some monopoly on smart people are generally people who have very limited travel experience. I am not talking about vacation but actually engaging people in daily business and life.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Few realize how accurate this magazine cover was.

Attachments

• Rumsey-Steinberg-New-Yorker-1976.jpg
    Rumsey-Steinberg-New-Yorker-1976.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
Reaction Score
He's 57 and for comparison Williams was about 50 when he left Kansas for UNC. I guess it depends on how long one wants to keep coaching or trying a different challenge. Omaha seems like a great town.

Not for nothing, but what is all this "creighton is one of the three elites" talk. The past three seasons have been affected by covid and it's not like creighton has been awesome. It's not even others receiving votes. I'm hoping there's a steady rotation around the top 5 or 6.

creighton's big east finish the past 10 years: 2, 9, 6, 3, 3 (3waytie), 3 (4waytie), 1, 2, 4

Reaction Score
The school stuck with him through the whole incident last year. I’d expect he continues to reward that loyalty to them. (Assuming he’s compensated reasonably)

Will be interested to see what happens to these P5 coaches caught up in the FBI probe thing though & if they get another shot when fired

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Few realize how accurate this magazine cover was.
Hey, Nebraska's on there!

I agree Omaha is underrated and a cool city. The only thing that would be an issue for me is no ocean or mountains. I need some natural majesty near me.

Reaction Score

I agree Omaha is underrated and a cool city. The only thing that would be an issue for me is no ocean or mountains. I need some natural majesty near me.
I’m the same way I travel over for work and love the Midwest and southwest but I can’t live anywhere that’s not on the ocean. And lakes don’t count, sorry

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score

In 2019, Greg took home more than $1.5 Million, including his base salary of $1.2 Million and other bonus amounts. In 2017, McDermott rejected Ohio State University's offer as their head coach, who paid a base salary of $3.5 Million for the head coach. His son Doug currently plays for the Indiana Pacers with whom he signed a three-year/ $22,000,000 worth contract in 2018.
Except his son plays for SA.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
He's 57 and for comparison Williams was about 50 when he left Kansas for UNC. I guess it depends on how long one wants to keep coaching or trying a different challenge. Omaha seems like a great town.

Not for nothing, but what is all this "creighton is one of the three elites" talk. The past three seasons have been affected by covid and it's not like creighton has been awesome. It's not even others receiving votes. I'm hoping there's a steady rotation around the top 5 or 6.

creighton's big east finish the past 10 years: 2, 9, 6, 3, 3 (3waytie), 3 (4waytie), 1, 2, 4
After Nova and us, they are getting the most coveted recruits in the league. If you look at the schools they went up against for those freshmen they have you’ll realize they definitely know how to get recruits on campus. They are not a huge national brand, but that’s only really important for recruiting which does not seem to be an issue for them. That combined with coaching seems to indicate they will regularly be a threat in the league.

In terms of other teams:
Providence does not recruit nearly well enough.
Xavier gets good talent and could be in the mix regularly too if they figure out the coaching.
Seton Hall had a ton of talent this year through developed lower rank players and transfers. Not clear they can sustain that year in year out- especially if Willard takes another job.
GTown can’t keep good players on campus for more than a year - and just an absolute mess program wise.
DePaul has no track record but definitely some real signs Stubblefield is building something there.
Butler generally (not this year) does well with 3 star and a couple low four star guys but isn’t currently competing for enough talent to regularly be at the top of the league.
Marquette could be a real threat to compete if Shaka can start to pull some of the talent we all think he will but there’s no real track record yet other than a great coaching job this year.
St Johns was definitely one of the toughest teams to play in get league this year (would’ve loved to have seen them make the big tourney), and Anderson is a great coach, but their team is also mainly built of kids that are way better than they were considered out of high school. Ie they have no track record of competing and winning for top high school talent which you need to be able to do to be a top program every year. Given their style and coaching I expect them to be tough every year but not enough talent to be a powerhouse.

Reaction Score

Corn and soybean fields.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom