McDasniel return trip to North Carolina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McDasniel return trip to North Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Xylina is a professional athlete's daughter. It would be a first for Coach Auriemma. There is a first time for everything. However, for no other reason than the barrier not yet being broken, I am betting against McDaniel and DeShields committing to UConn.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Xylina is a professional athlete's daughter. It would be a first for Coach Auriemma. There is a first time for everything. However, for no other reason than the barrier not yet being broken, I am betting against McDaniel and DeShields committing to UConn.
Did you retire on your own or did they throw you out for being so negative?

JS

Reaction Score
UConn has never had a commitment from a native of the State of Texas, and none from a home-schooled kid. For these reasons alone, I'm betting Moriah Jefferson will never . . .

Oh, wait . . .

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I think Geno and Xavier are on the same page. Xavier appears to have done his homework.

Is there any sort of struggle between mom and dad on this?

I think it may come down to Xylina's confidence and ambition to play with and against the best. I like our chances.

At the risk of over-generalizing, mothers may be more reluctant to allow their daughters to leave the local area for college than fathers. Obviously X has no problem whatsoever with his daughter coming to UConn but that may not be the case with mom.

Reaction Score

That barrier has already been broken. Greg stokes played in the NBA. He didn't have a an all-star career like the X-man, but he was a professional athlete.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Dad seems that "his decision" would have been made by now... he loves Geno

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
More from X that is a big time clue as to why Geno likes this kid so much:

"I think she can make an impact on defender and as a rebounder (in college). When she was young, I stressed defense a lot. I used to make her guard point guards, 2 guards and not just big people. A big girl who would try to go 1 on 1 and said damn this girl is pretty quick and then they go into the post. She has the defensive capabilities of playing five positions in college. I think she is a forward, I am not going to say she is a small forward and I'm not going to say she is a power forward. She is a forward but I think she is a forward. You can ask the UConn players who played against her. She was rebounding and blocking shots and doing a lot of the things that I taught her. I thought she did a very good job in that scrimmage with the girls."

Just because she was good enough to get the schollie offer, I wanted her to come to UConn. But after finding out more about her from someone who probably knows her best, I REALLY REALLY want her. A bigger Ashley Battle, Kelly Faris type of player, maybe? I'm seeing her raise havoc at the point of the press, a la Swin.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
That barrier has already been broken. Greg stokes played in the NBA. He didn't have a an all-star career like the X-man, but he was a professional athlete.
Spot on.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I can't believe I forgot that! Thanks!

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

This post really Stoked me up...were you serious when you wrote this?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
All this wagering. Lots of losses, favored recruits going elsewhere, , , ,

Somewhere (Icebear, help me out) it is written: "The battle is not to the mighty or the race to the swift. . . . "

To which the legendary sportswriter Ring Lardner (author of "Alibi Ike") irreverently added: ". . . but that's where the smart money is laid down."

No guarantees with DeShields or McDaniel but, given Geno's track record as a recruiter (thank you nod to CD), I like our chances.

Of course, I ALWAYS like our chances!

Reaction Score
Great players want to play with great players. Witness the reactions of the girls and women on the USA Basketball teams. If she is a great player, she will want to be challenged, and will come to UCONN.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Additionally, how many pro athletes' children has Geno even offered? Is it a large enough sample size to be predictive? If it is, is their matriculation rate to UConn lower than the population at large?

I doubt there is any quality about Geno/CD that would make them less appealing to pro athletes' kids than the population at large. If anything, I'd think that their proven track record, no BS approach regarding preparation and playing time, and Geno's experience dealing with pro players, would all work in UConn favor, if anything.

Bottom line, Xylina or DD may well end up elsewhere when all is said and done, but the fact that they're pro athletes' kids won't be the reason.

From Xylina's perspective, she's going to have to choose between proximity/familiarity/guaranteed PT and playing with best/being prepared by the best/winning championships. This isn't a sour grapes point on my part, but my suspicion is that Geno et al only want kids who would make the latter decision. So if she chooses the former option, godspeed and best of luck to her, but she wouldn't have been a great fit at UConn anyway even if she went on to have a great career.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Additionally, how many pro athletes' children has Geno even offered? Is it a large enough sample size to be predictive? If it is, is their matriculation rate to UConn lower than the population at large?

I doubt there is any quality about Geno/CD that would make them less appealing to pro athletes' kids than the population at large. If anything, I'd think that their proven track record, no BS approach regarding preparation and playing time, and Geno's experience dealing with pro players, would all work in UConn favor, if anything.

Bottom line, Xylina or DD may well end up elsewhere when all is said and done, but the fact that they're pro athletes' kids won't be the reason.

From Xylina's perspective, she's going to have to choose between proximity/familiarity/guaranteed PT and playing with best/being prepared by the best/winning championships. This isn't a sour grapes point on my part, but my suspicion is that Geno et al only want kids who would make the latter decision. So if she chooses the former option, godspeed and best of luck to her, but she wouldn't have been a great fit at UConn anyway even if she went on to have a great career.
agree 100%. not only that, but Geno has said he wants to look at kids who come from winning programs. i realize it's sort of a chicken/egg thing (if a kid is really good, they are probably going to lead their team to lots of wins), but the point is Geno wants kids who are used to winning, who want to win, and who are willing to put the work in to get better and win at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Did you retire on your own or did they throw you out for being so negative?

I am a retired air traffic controller, a job from which we must retire at age 56; For good reason. I am enjoying retirement immensely.
Life has been very, very good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I am a retired air traffic controller, a job from which we must retire at age 56; For good reason. I am enjoying retirement immensely.
That's awesome. I have a few more years to go. Besides this board, what do you do with your time?

And when working, did you look at the screen and say, "oh, that plane is going to crash" before bringing them in safely?

Reaction Score
That's awesome. I have a few more years to go. Besides this board, what do you do with your time?

And when working, did you look at the screen and say, "oh, that plane is going to crash" before bringing them in safely?

My days are quite busy with any number of productive activities, the most rewarding of which is as a math tutor.

I absolutely loved my job as an air traffic controller. More than that, I enjoyed the people with whom I worked; a cadre of dedicated, hard working professionals. There isn't a sports team anywhere in any sport that could match the teamwork required and constantly present within the air traffic control system.

Before we ever get to a point where two planes are in danger of colliding, positive control is provided whether it be an altitude, a vector, a speed reduction, or a traffic call. There are well defined, very strictly enforced rules governing aircraft separation. Lose separation once leads to decertification and retraining. Doing so twice within three years leads to termination.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My days are quite busy with any number of productive activities, the most rewarding of which is as a math tutor.

I absolutely loved my job as an air traffic controller. More than that, I enjoyed the people with whom I worked; a cadre of dedicated, hard working professionals. There isn't a sports team anywhere in any sport that could match the teamwork required and constantly present within the air traffic control system.

Before we ever get to a point where two planes are in danger of colliding, positive control is provided whether it be an altitude, a vector, a speed reduction, or a traffic call. There are well defined, very strictly enforced rules governing aircraft separation. Lose separation once leads to decertification and retraining. Doing so twice within three years leads to termination.
Thank god for you guys and the great job you do!!!

Reaction Score
That's alright- people here lose separation regularly- as a matter of fact, I think one just did! A little more positive control is probably in order, but that might spoil the fun.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

I'm glad you enjoyed your career and that you are having an enjoyable and productive retirement.

When I was in the Navy, I actually did some air traffic controlling as part of my billet as CIC Officer on a destroyer. Most of it was in coordinating anti submarine work with air forces, mostly a twin prop plane called the S2F, but there was some anti-air intercept work as well.

I made a big mistake once in an ASW drill in Key West. We were going after a sub and had a couple of STF's helping out. I was kinda busy since I was both controlling the S2F's and running the sub tracking in CIC (I'm sure the Navy has changed that procedure... way too much going on for one person). Anyway part of our destroyer ASW armament was something called hedgehogs, which was pattern of mini-depth charges fired forward when we believed the sub was in that sector. Unfortunately our weapons officer "fired" the hedgehogs before I was able to make sure the S2F's were clear of the firing sector. The S2F pilots really chewed me out over the radio for that stupidity, and I'll never forget it. Good thing it was just a drill... nothing was actually fired.

Later, on my way home from the Tonkin Gulf I spent some time on a carrier and observed the controllers bringing in the planes returning from strikes... the technology they were using even way back then was pretty mind blowing for me.

So yeah, I'm very familiar with the awesome responsibility of the Air Traffic Controller. Thanks for your service.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If this were the case than Geno wouldn't have wanted Rebecca.:)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
At the risk of over-generalizing, mothers may be more reluctant to allow their daughters to leave the local area for college than fathers. Obviously X has no problem whatsoever with his daughter coming to UConn but that may not be the case with mom.

this was my thought as well....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Were you in the tower at DCA or IAD on 9/11? That was a horrible day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom