McConnell-Serio OUT at Pitt | The Boneyard

McConnell-Serio OUT at Pitt

Reaction Score
I had wondered a month ago whether she was in danger but figured she had too good name recognition to get the hook yet. I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong ,the results on the court are clear and call for change. I just didnt think Pitt cared enough to fire a once popular player.

Pitt fires women's basketball coach Suzie McConnell-Serio

Wonder if the Panthers will make any overtures to a former assistant coach? Not that they have a chance, but would show they were serious.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I had wondered a month ago whether she was in danger but figured she had too good name recognition to get the hook yet. I was wrong.

Don't get me wrong ,the results on the court are clear and call for change. I just didnt think Pitt cared enough to fire a once popular player.

Wonder if the Panthers will make any overtures to a former assistant coach? Not that they have a chance, but would show they were serious.
I hate that you are thinking along these lines. :eek:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Wonder if the Panthers will make any overtures to a former assistant coach? Not that they have a chance, but would show they were serious.[/QUOTE

Well, the new AD has thus far hired Jeff Capel, former HC and long-time asst. at Duke for the Men's Hoops position and Randy Waldrum, who won two NC's as head soccer coach for the ND women's soccer team. She might want to consider making a splash with the WCBB program.

My question is why wait so long? Suzie went 10-20 this year and I thought the orange light was turning red when Brenna Wise left the program. (BTW, she'll be eligible for Indiana next year).

I wonder if they'll try to go splashy, with an assistant at a top program or someone who has been there-come back again, like Felisha Legette-Jack of Buffalo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Capel hire was splashy. Pitt's 1st choice actually picked a non-P5 school over them (Hurley's choice of UConn).

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Capel hire was splashy. Pitt's 1st choice actually picked a non-P5 school over them (Hurley's choice of UConn).[

OK, the new AD hit for the fences with Hurley and came up a bit short. Still, I would think hiring the senior assistant from Duke is not a yawner for the Pitt faithful (compared to what has just happened with Stallings.).
Maybe I'll change splash to solid.....

BTW, I initially went to the Coaching Carousel thread where I was going to dutifully add this if no one else had.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the Capel hire was splashy. Pitt's 1st choice actually picked a non-P5 school over them (Hurley's choice of UConn).
Well Pitt wants to spin it like it was a great hire... Glad they didn't beat us out. We've taken enough hits lately...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Shea could get much much better jobs than Pitt. Unless her pregnancy cuts off the blood flow to her brain, Pitt has no chance.
Shea with child?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Shea with child?
It's been noticeable for a while, but it's probably not PC to point it out until/unless there is an official announcement. Still, it was pretty obvious during the regionals in Albany...

Reaction Score
It's been noticeable for a while, but it's probably not PC to point it out until/unless there is an official announcement. Still, it was pretty obvious during the regionals in Albany...

So why is it being noted/disclosed?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Pitt is probably not a prime job. Should be, in some ways. Respectable school, well known in sports (but not for WBB), excellent conference.

But every coach I can think of has had modest or very short term success at best. Actually liked most of them, but they were not successful.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure why they waited precious weeks to make this decision, but can't say it was a surprise. Pitt had been just awful the last couple seasons and has also had some costly out-transfers (e.g. Stasha Carey).

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's funny... can't talk about it but she can walk around pregnant but no one is suppose to notice. Weird, thanks for informing me tho. I haven't looked at Shea lately I normally see Marissa and Jasmime's replacement

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That's funny... can't talk about it but she can walk around pregnant but no one is suppose to notice. Weird, thanks for informing me tho. I haven't looked at Shea lately I normally see Marissa and Jasmime's replacement
Well you know how that works! Imagine telling a women "Congratulations! When is the baby due" only to get slapped and told "I'm not pregnant" ;)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well you know how that works! Imagine telling a women "Congratulations! When is the baby due" only to get slapped and told "I'm not pregnant" ;)
Makes sense

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not sure why they waited precious weeks to make this decision, but can't say it was a surprise. Pitt had been just awful the last couple seasons and has also had some costly out-transfers (e.g. Stasha Carey).

Another costly out-transfer was Brenna Wise, Pitt’s leading scorer and rebounder with 14.3 points and 6.4 boards per game in 201-17. She just finished her year of sitting out and will be on the floor next year at Indiana, with Ali Patberg, the point guard who transferred from Notre Dame.

A McGraw's Bencher from Pittsburgh said the delay here was due to the new AD looking into the allegations made against Serio-McConnell, as well as the men's search.

In any case, there's a lot of work to be done there.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A McGraw's Bencher from Pittsburgh said the delay here was due to the new AD looking into the allegations made against Serio-McConnell, as well as the men's search.

What allegations?

Dillon77

Reaction Score

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
"Abuse" is always a tough one, though.

There is obvious abusive behavior - much more common in the past. But there is a huge area (I believe) where it is all relative on so many levels. There are those who would say that (as examples) Geno, Vivian, virtually all the top coaches are all abusive in their way. I don't think so, but I don't think these coaches are for the non-committed. There appear to be those who think being told they are doing a bad job at something, being called out for not giving enough effort, etc., especially in harsh tones, feel they are being abused. You don't think Geno says those kind of things? Or Vivian, for that matter?

But their audience, for the most part, takes it to heart, instead of complaining about it, and does something about it.

I have no idea what McConnell-Serio was supposedly doing, of course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom