McClung Transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McClung Transferring

C

Chief00

KOs biggest fault was that he tried to install a pro type offense with parts that didn't fit and kids who couldn't/didn't want to learn/understand. Plus the fact that he wasn't ready to take the reins of a big time coaching situation when things within and beyond his control started going south.
Agree, multiple issues once Bazz left. He could read the defense really well and individually was extremely clever regarding how to score.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Georgetown should be one of the easier schools to recruit at. Top tier conference, in DC which is a cool city, elite academics, Big East tournament, solid history (granted their peak was in the 80's)...how are they not pulling in 5* every year..or able to get a coach like Chris Beard? Their profile should honestly be very similar to Duke, idk how they haven't been able to right the ship
DC has also been the most talent rich region as of late.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Ewing is a total disaster. Base is out for his neck. He’s on borrowed time.

Reaction Score
The foundation of the Ewing era seems to get more and more cracks in it every few months. Still, not sure he can’t get the job done. He’s been ok.
I hope he rights the ship and gets that program back into a top 25 team year after year. You cant be as irrelevant as they been for as long as they been and fix it over night. Hope he works out.

Reaction Score

IMO, BYU is the best spot for him to develop his pro credentials.

He's a wild, bucket getting guard, but Pope's focus on smart shot selection will only help his efficiency.

Also, Alex Barcello graduates after next year, so he'll get the keys to the lead guard spot while being surrounded by skilled wings and bigs.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
what happens when coaches overlook how important it is to communicate with your players and show them at least a little respect... McClung may have overreacted, but this was a huge mistake on Ewing’s part
I'm not sure but I think some of it may be former pros thinking of there players as more as pros rather than kids (student athletes). I suspect that this was a big part of Ollie's issues with his players.

C

Chief00

I'm not sure but I think some of it may be former pros thinking of there players as more as pros rather than kids (student athletes). I suspect that this was a big part of Ollie's issues with his players.
I agree, and I think that’s where Danny shines. He’s very much engaged with the kids on a consistent basis.

Reaction Score
I agree, and I think that’s where Danny shines. He’s very much engaged with the kids on a consistent basis.
Agree, and there's also the added bonus that he was a kid who struggled emotionally in college, so he can use his experience to guide players, a la AG.

Coaches that had to overcome something make that level of compassion and empathy real.

Reaction Score
Not sure how he'll fit in at Tech defensively. But he's certainly a talented kid. Wish he was in the NBE still!

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Wow. This kinda seals the deal for Georgetown being one of the worst teams in the Big East along with DePaul and St. John's.
This question is a bit OT but I was hoping for some input.

Is it true in basketball (college or pro) that very good to great players rarely make good to great coaches?
In baseball this has (had) been the norm pretty much for all time. In baseball the suggestion was that marginal players were on the bench and had time to think about tactics etc. while everyday players were too busy thinking about the next pitch and their personal responsibility. Very common for managers and coaches in baseball to have marginal or no experience at the big league level. Everytime I hear about a big time player getting a high visibility head coach job on a college team or even a pro team I wonder about this axiom.

Reaction Score
Not sure how he'll fit in at Tech defensively. But he's certainly a talented kid. Wish he was in the NBE still!
McClung has some free-wheeling defensive ability (1.4 steals per game) but Beard's system will also help him learn D within his system to utilize his physical skills into a more structured, team-based defense.

Not hyperbole, but this is the player who could put Texas Tech in next year's title talk. When has Beard had a true bucket getter like McClung? Championship teams tend to have a veteran lead guard who can put the team on his shoulder when the game slows down and points are needed.

Reaction Score
McClung has some free-wheeling defensive ability (1.4 steals per game) but Beard's system will also help him learn D within his system to utilize his physical skills into a more structured, team-based defense.

Not hyperbole, but this is the player who could put Texas Tech in next year's title talk. When has Beard had a true bucket getter like McClung? Championship teams tend to have a veteran lead guard who can put the team on his shoulder when the game slows down and points are needed.

The sixth pick in last year's draft?

Reaction Score

Certainly possible. Small guards aren't really suited to the ICE defense that Beard runs though. I'd expect Beard to get him playing at his best in the next year though. Brilliant defensive coach

Reaction Score

Jarrett Culver was like a year ago? He averaged 19 points a game, was the KenPom KPOY and then he was picked 6th in the draft.

And to your point they made it to the title game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is kind of a strange take from Gary Parrish. So just because McClung says he wanted to stay at Georgetown but he just couldn't because of unnamed reasons he has a better case with the NCAA to be immediately eligible? I don't get that. Is the NCAA that easily manipulated? O.K. don't answer that!

Here's what he said: "It was a number of different events that made me feel I had no choice but to transfer from Georgetown. I really wanted to stay, but things throughout my career made me realize that I couldn't."

Ladies and gentlemen, that's how you do it.

pj

Reaction Score
This question is a bit OT but I was hoping for some input.

Is it true in basketball (college or pro) that very good to great players rarely make good to great coaches?
In baseball this has (had) been the norm pretty much for all time. In baseball the suggestion was that marginal players were on the bench and had time to think about tactics etc. while everyday players were too busy thinking about the next pitch and their personal responsibility. Very common for managers and coaches in baseball to have marginal or no experience at the big league level. Everytime I hear about a big time player getting a high visibility head coach job on a college team or even a pro team I wonder about this axiom.

I think there's truth to that general thesis. But maybe more important is that those who make a ton of money as players rarely want to put in the effort to make a second lower-paid career as a coach, while those who make small money as players need a career and coaching is the natural next move. Knowing they will need a job after their playing career, they start studying to be a coach early.

Also, as a journeyman struggling to stay in the game, you naturally do everything you can to learn what your coach wants so that you can please him. You also may move between teams more, and thus have the opportunity to learn from more coaches.

Reaction Score
This is kind of a strange take from Gary Parrish. So just because McClung says he wanted to stay at Georgetown but he just couldn't because of unnamed reasons he has a better case with the NCAA to be immediately eligible? I don't get that. Is the NCAA that easily manipulated? O.K. don't answer that!

Here's what he said: "It was a number of different events that made me feel I had no choice but to transfer from Georgetown. I really wanted to stay, but things throughout my career made me realize that I couldn't."

Ladies and gentlemen, that's how you do it.

He explains it. If you talk about basketball's influence on your decision, you're giving the NCAA a reason to deny the waiver. He's going to have to make his case to the NCAA and he's going to have to tell them why he "couldn't" stay. But by not talking about basketball with respect to his decision, the NCAA doesn't have any "gotchya" quotes to "prove" what we all know to be true anyway. Basketball was the main reason for his transfer.

Reaction Score
He explains it. If you talk about basketball's influence on your decision, you're giving the NCAA a reason to deny the waiver. He's going to have to make his case to the NCAA and he's going to have to tell them why he "couldn't" stay. But by not talking about basketball with respect to his decision, the NCAA doesn't have any "gotchya" quotes to "prove" what we all know to be true anyway. Basketball was the main reason for his transfer.
I read it. His argument seems pretty suspect to me. Unless the NCAA is easily manipulated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom