Mayonnaise on French Fries?? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mayonnaise on French Fries??

Is Mayonnaise an acceptable dippy sauce for fries?

• Yes

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • No

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • This is actually a thing???

Votes: 21 13.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I live in the UK. Vinegar on chips is only really done at the chippy. If you’re at a good one I wouldn’t risk it. Here in Sheffield we have a few proper chippies that still use dripping (beef fat) and I wouldn’t pour malt vinegar on them ever. In Belgium it’s a different scene and those frites are three times fried, harder and I think vinegar would just bounce off them. So mayonnaise really works. I would also think the super spicy West Flanders mustard would work too- but that’s the American palate in me still.

Reaction Score
One has to like sweet pickles to agree with you. I love all sorts of pickles, but sweet and bread & b, utter pickles do not pass these lips. This is why, while I love the concept of a Chicago dog and even bought sport peppers to make them at home, I cannot have an authentic one as the flourescent green relish has got to go.
The Chicago dog works because of the hot and the sweet.

Reaction Score
I haven't eaten fish sticks since junior high. One of the many never-mentioned benefits of not having had kids.

I was miserable eating fish sticks as a kid but I murder my kids’ leftovers these days. Not sure what happened.

Reaction Score
I live in the UK. Vinegar on chips is only really done at the chippy. If you’re at a good one I wouldn’t risk it. Here in Sheffield we have a few proper chippies that still use dripping (beef fat) and I wouldn’t pour malt vinegar on them ever. In Belgium it’s a different scene and those frites are three times fried, harder and I think vinegar would just bounce off them. So mayonnaise really works. I would also think the super spicy West Flanders mustard would work too- but that’s the American palate in me still.
I should also admit that I didn’t try ketchup until I was in my mid 30’s. Never liked the look of it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was miserable eating fish sticks as a kid but I murder my kids’ leftovers these days. Not sure what happened.
Pot munchies?

I haven't looked at a fish stick box in 50 years or so, but I'd think I can sautee a couple of trout fillets in a wine/butter/shallot sauce faster than a frozen fish stick cooks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Chicago dog works because of the hot and the sweet.
It works well for me w/o the green stuff. The texture of the pickle and snap of the sport peppers gives me what I want from the thing.

Reaction Score
Dinner was great tonight!

Attachments

• IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
Reaction Score
Funny, I don‘t remember ever seeing this mayo/fries thing before, so go out tonight to a simple neighborhood place, and this is whats on the menu.
1713656757770.jpeg

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Cheese fries and gravy. A great 2am snack at Penny’s Diner after drinking all night in Sono. When I was much younger that is…
Nothing called gravy belongs anywhere near a good french fry.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Its just mayo and relish.... mostly mayo. Also it apparently fits the definition of aioli based on other posts.

So why single out tarter sauce? Its the condiment of choice for fish sticks. Does anyone disagree with the usage of tarter sauce on fish sticks? Probably very few. Furthermore a fish stick is basically a french fry where the potato is substituted with fish.

So in summary everyone agrees with the usage of tarter sauce on french fries assuming the potato is in fact fishy.
No civilized person, given a hundred dipping sauces (or even three - ketchup, two day old dog water or tartar sauce), dips a good french fry in tartar sauce

Last edited:

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Some parts of the US and some other parts of the world, mayonnaise is the default condiment for fries.

For the life of me, it makes no sense, but I know it's a real thing.
Disgusting. I couldn’t be in the same room with someone eating that combination.

Reaction Score
I don't know why some places serve crappy fries, even some fancy restaurants do. I will say Chicago's fry game has always been on point, even the burger and dog stands make great fries. #1 Idaho potatoes cut, blanched and double fried to order.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom