Maybe Weist should have been the guy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maybe Weist should have been the guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Okay....

But saying Diaco has the same players simply isn't true. From Greene/Bennett to Cochran, there are very important pieces missing. The offense sucks, and the OC hasn't impressed anyone or even given us much to be optimistic about. Comparisons to Weist and last year are as if they had the same team are simply dishonest.

No, they are not dishonest. Weist took a situation in free fall with a crew of mediocre athletes and made them competitive. Diaco has taken a team that was competitive and made them non-competitive. Cochran was a big loss, but Diaco hadn't even made him starting QB out of camp so either Cochran isn't that much better than Whitmer or Diaco is a poor evaluator of talent. You get to choose.

Bennett wasn't that good last year, so there was not a guaranteed drop off from replacing him. It is also worth noting that Pasqualoni's classes were relatively strong by UConn standards in terms of other offers and rankings. Diaco couldn't coach some of these kids up? These kids were recruited to play in the Big East and now they are getting destroyed by mid-major opponents.

There is no amount of excuses that the apologists can make for that to be OK.

Reaction Score
Bennett wasn't better than Knappe? Ok.

So the team had mediocre talent under Weist, but relatively strong talent by UConn standards thanks to Pasqualoni. Even though all the talent that was drafted last year was brought in by the mediocre Edsall, NOT Pasqualoni. Ok. Regardless, the problems all stem from the OL. They can't establish the run, and can't pass protect.

Weist's record as head coach is 3-6. Losing his first 6. Diaco got the benefit of Stony Brook, but is pretty much on the same track as Weist was after 5 games.

Oh, and nobody has mentioned all that we lost on defense.

You don't need to make straw men, contradict yourself, or call people names to criticize the offense. We all agree the offense sucks and the OC is unimpressive. Nobody has said they like him and prefer him over Weist.

One day I sincerely hope you realize what a narcissist you are, and get the help you need. I wonder if you can't sleep at night until you fabricate a straw man so you can claim some intellectual superiority over the "apologists".

Reaction Score
This whole thread is nonsense:

These are NOT the same players. Jimmy Bennett was not great but he was light years better than what we've seen from Levy. Greene was very good. Oh yeah and we lost Cochran. Good call here.

Nobody pats themselves on the back quite like Nelson.

Do people forget what this team looked like for the first 5 and a half games under Weist?

I liked Weist. Stand up guy. Did a hell of a job. But this program needed a fresh start. And you just don't keep the interim head coach on your staff. We have to wish TJ well but let him go.

I've said many times. I've knocked Diaco on a lot of things that I haven't liked. But it is way too early to come to the conclusion that he will fail here.

Reaction Score
His offense with the same players put up way more points in his last few games. I always believed in college you win with creative offensive coaches at the helm. We have to give coach BD his time, but this season has been hard.

Yeah ... I think of this. But, the conventional wisdom ... and lots of the last 20 years of college football history ... says that this is NOT the way to go. Randy Edsall's OLine coach is now 4-0 (soon 5-0) at UAlbany after Pitt/Maryland assistant jobs & Duquesne HC. Gattuso. So, that's the HC background PLUS bigtime Assistant training. But, not quite the guy that all the P5 would consider.

But, Diaco has the pedigree. He has a GREAT Coaching staff. I really believe he did a lot of things right. Including the first 10 months of recruiting. Weist would have certaintly been on a whole different plane: and ... I think we would have ONE more win right now. Spin away.

Reaction Score
You don't measure classes - 3 years in - by their offers when they were in HS. That's nuts. We see their on-field production and their work ethic over a few good years.

Guys like Lutrus had no offers. UConn is very different. And Nelson is an idiot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's interesting to learn that taking a team from FCS to two conference championships inside of a decade isn't success.

I did not realize that.

Who could imagine beating two bad teams and Rutgers at the end of a lost season could mangle perceptions this badly?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Why do you follow the sport at all? The mindless cheerleaders who presented Edsall's mediocrity as success and now all claim that they knew from the start that Pasqualoni would suck (when I seem to remember that he was a pretty popular hire at the time) like to shout down anyone who points out the obvious problems. I was getting attacked back in the winter for being mildly critical of Diaco for hiring what seemed like a lightweight staff, particularly on the offensive side. Compare Diaco's staff to the resumes of the one Pasqualoni showed up with. I didn't just into the recruiting fray too much other than to agree with those who pointed out that we could have gotten a lot of these recruits that received early offers in December or January so why not aim a little higher over the summer and fall? I said that the game coaching was a problem after the Stony Brook game, and now that viewpoint is a lot more popular.

Diaco has had a rocky start. If you are not willing to acknowledge that, then you shouldn't follow the program. Acknowledging that the program is at a serious crossroads is not being negative, it is being realistic. If we give Diaco 4-5 years and things don't improve, shutting down the program is on the table. UConn is not going to pour millions of dollars into a sinkhole for a program in a lousy conference that is losing games in droves and drawing small crowds. That is just reality.

Diaco has to succeed, and I do think that he can and will get better. The only thing I can think of in terms of change is to find some gray hair to be his mentor and maybe coach the offense. There are too many brain farts and the offense does not look prepared going into games. Somewhere out there is a guy that has been around forever with maybe some HC experience that couldn't cut it with the top job. An offensive version of Ellis Johnson, if we can find one.

Nice to switch the point. You're being called out, again, clearly, for "cheerleading" the demise of the program. Your # 1 argument has been for football independence, which UMass is in the process of proving completely impossible.

UConn has played football for over 100 years, and has a major investment in the program. It won't drop the sport. Shut up. Please.

Reaction Score
I've become more and more convinced as this season has gone on that Diaco is just trying to get through this year on offense because he doesn't have the quarterback he wants to run his system. There was some evidence of that when he decided to play Cochran and Whitmer early, Davis recruiting is more and so is the transfer from NCState. Now we're even seeing him talk about "packages" for Foxx, a receiver/back up quarterback. Add in his rather bizarre use of Boyle, though I suspect he is in fact hurting somehow, and the conclusion, at least to me, is that Diaco is looking to run a spread but doesn't have the people to run it right now. He clearly doesn't love his quarterback stable, and I don't think he has the right mix/type of linemen either. The backs are going to be fine, but are young. This offense currently has the feel of a cobbled together attack of the sort you often see when a team is forced to use a 3rd or 4th string quarterback...I think that's how he views the situation this season.

Reaction Score
I've become more and more convinced as this season has gone on that Diaco is just trying to get through this year on offense because he doesn't have the quarterback he wants to run his system. There was some evidence of that when he decided to play Cochran and Whitmer early, Davis recruiting is more and so is the transfer from NCState. Now we're even seeing him talk about "packages" for Foxx, a receiver/back up quarterback. Add in his rather bizarre use of Boyle, though I suspect he is in fact hurting somehow, and the conclusion, at least to me, is that Diaco is looking to run a spread but doesn't have the people to run it right now. He clearly doesn't love his quarterback stable, and I don't think he has the right mix/type of linemen either. The backs are going to be fine, but are young. This offense currently has the feel of a cobbled together attack of the sort you often see when a team is forced to use a 3rd or 4th string quarterback...I think that's how he views the situation this season.

We do have a different group up front on offense this year, and Casey did a good job. I'm not convinced that explains the performance against USF or Temple. My measuring stick for the year is primarily Temple and Memphis. Both schools we beat last year seem to he headed in the right direction with equal or lesser talent than we have. Temple was disappointing but still in the early part of our transition and evaluation process. If by the time we get to Memphis we aren't playing some semblence of efficient and productive offensive football, then changes need to be made at that end. Player turnover can't be an excuse for sloppy play, lack of adjustments and failure to improve during the entire course of the season.

Reaction Score
Player turnover can't be an excuse for sloppy play, lack of adjustments and failure to improve during the entire course of the season.
I totally agree with this. On the other hand I've become convinced that Diaco is just trying to get through the season on offense until he gets the pieces he needs over the next year or two. We will see a totally re-vamped attack next year, probably with a quarterback who has never taken a snap at UConn.

Reaction Score
I agree with your point about the OL. The whole offense looks confused and tentative. The problems with the offense are stemming from practice, and the good (and bad) news is that it appears that Diaco is losing confidence in his OC based on the South Florida game. It is bad news because it was one of Diaco's first hires, we probably could have kept Weist, and now we have an OC that probably sucks. The good news is that at least Diaco is recognizing he has a problem and trying to deal with it.

SURE - YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT. CUMMINGS DOSN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN THE OFFENSE. NO IDEA OF WHAT HE IS DOING. THE PLAYERS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. IT"S ALL HIS FAULT! Read on and you may have a different opinion. This man is a good coach. He didn't all of the sudden forget how to coach.
9609971.jpeg

Mike Cummings

Position:
Offensive Coordinator, Tight Ends
Experience:
First Season
Alma Mater:
Buffalo '84
06/17/2014

Mike Cummings, who served as the Offensive Coordinator for the past four seasons at Central Michigan,is in his first year in 2014the Offensive Coordinator atUConn and has position responsibility with the tight ends.

During Cummings' tenure at CMU, the school boasted one of the Mid-American Conference's top offenses. Cummings had position responsibility for the offensive line at Central Michigan and coached offensive tackle Eric Fisher, who was the first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs.
Coached Eric Fisher, 1st Pick in NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. Me thinks Coach Cummings knows what a quality offensive lineman looks like. Don't think UCONN has any NFL 1st pick in Draft O Lineman on this team.

Cummings and new UConn head coach Bob Diaco were on the same coaching staff together at Eastern Michigan in 2000 and '01.

In 2012, Cummings directed a CMU offense that averaged 6.2 yards per play, ranking No. 2 in the MAC, produced nearly 400 yards of offense per game and scored 30 or more points in 10 games. Much of the offensive success can be attributed to the play of the CMU offensive line, which Cummings has position responsibility for, which allowed just 15 sacks, ranking No. 17 nationally.
#2 Offense in MAC in 2012 average 400 yards of offense and 30 or more points in 10 games. Line only allowed 15 sacks all year. Ours gives up 15 per game. Do ya think it could be the players....Maybe??

Cummings coached five All-Mid-American Conference offensive linemen over the last three seasons. !!!!Colin Miller and Jeff Maddux were both named to the 2010 All-MAC Second Team, while Fisher was a Third Team selection in 2011 and was honored on the All-MAC First Team in 2012. Andy Phillips was a second team pick in 2013. 5 All-Mid --American Offensive linemen over last 3 seasons!

Fisher, who also earned All-America honors from the Associated Press, became the highest NFL draft pick in MAC and Central Michigan history. A starter of all 13 games in 2012, Fisher flourished under Cummings' tutelage rising from a relatively unknown commodity at the beginning of the season to a national sensation following dominant performances at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine. Fisher rose from an unknown to a National sensation under Cummings!

The Chippewas ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing offense during 2010 and '11 under Cummings. CMU ranked 25th nationally in 2011, averaging 274.2 yards per game through the air, one year after ranking 20th with a 284.0 yards per game average. The Chippewas have thrown for 295 or more yards 17 times over the past four seasons, including six games of 350 yards or more. High ranked offense under Cummings!

The 2010 season marked the start of Cummings' fourth stint at CMU. He was the Chippewas' offensive line coach from 1992-97 and 1999, and he was a graduate assistant at CMU during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. Cummings coached seven All-MAC honorees during his previous time at CMU.

Cummings served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall from 2005-09. At least one Marshall offensive lineman earned All- Conference USA honors in each of his five seasons. Did well with the O-line at Marshall too!

Prior to Marshall, Cummings was the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Western Michigan for three seasons.

Cummings' career also includes stops at Eastern Michigan (defensive line/ special teams/recruiting coordinator, 2000-01), Michigan State (tight ends/ special teams, 1998), Millersville (offensive line, 1990-91) and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (offensive line, 1987).

Cummings earned three varsity letters in football at Buffalo. He earned his bachelor's degree in physical education and exercise science from Buffalo in 1984 and his master's degree in athletics administration from CMU in 1990.

Cummings and his wife Donna have two daughters, Elizabeth and Emily.

Year-By-Year With Mike Cummings

YearSchool/TeamPosition
1987RensselaerOffensive Line
1988-89Central MichiganGraduate Assistant
1990-91MillersvilleOffensive Line
1992-97Central MichiganOffensive Line
1998Michigan StateTight Ends/Special Teams
1999Central MichiganOffensive Line
2000-01Eastern MichiganDef. Line/Special Teams/Recruiting Coordinator
2002-04Western MichiganOffensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator
2005-09MarshallOffensive Line/Recruiting Coordinator
2010-13Central MichiganOffensive Coordinator/Offensive Line
Postseason Games As A Coach
YearGameSchool/Team Result

1994Las VegasCentral Michigan lost to UNLV, 52-24
2009Little Caesar'sMarshall def. Ohio, 21-17
2012Little Caesar'sCentral Michigan def. Western Kentucky, 24-21

Reaction Score
I totally agree with this. On the other hand I've become convinced that Diaco is just trying to get through the season on offense until he gets the pieces he needs over the next year or two. We will see a totally re-vamped attack next year, probably with a quarterback who has never taken a snap at UConn.

Its going to be much different.

Reaction Score
I would of liked to have Weist stayed on as the Offensive Coordinator. He had a good thing going on last year and showed he could make the adjustments needed to make things happen, but I know when a new coach comes in they like to have their own coaching staff.

I say Diaco shallow your pride and do the right thing... fire Cummings and hire Weist back.

Are you serious! Diaco doesn't want the ex- head coach of a failed regime and Weist doesn't want to/never did/isn't going to come back!

Reaction Score
SURE - YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT. CUMMINGS DOSN'T KNOW HOW TO RUN THE OFFENSE. NO IDEA OF WHAT HE IS DOING. THE PLAYERS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. IT"S ALL HIS FAULT! Read on and you may have a different opinion. This man is a good coach. He didn't all of the sudden forget how to coach.
9609971.jpeg

Mike Cummings

Position:
Experience:
First Season
Alma Mater:
Buffalo '84
06/17/2014

Mike Cummings, who served as the Offensive Coordinator for the past four seasons at Central Michigan,is in his first year in 2014the Offensive Coordinator atUConn and has position responsibility with the tight ends.

During Cummings' tenure at CMU, the school boasted one of the Mid-American Conference's top offenses. Cummings had position responsibility for the offensive line at Central Michigan and coached offensive tackle Eric Fisher, who was the first pick in the 2013 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs.
Coached Eric Fisher, 1st Pick in NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. Me thinks Coach Cummings knows what a quality offensive lineman looks like. Don't think UCONN has any NFL 1st pick in Draft O Lineman on this team.

Cummings and new UConn head coach Bob Diaco were on the same coaching staff together at Eastern Michigan in 2000 and '01.

In 2012, Cummings directed a CMU offense that averaged 6.2 yards per play, ranking No. 2 in the MAC, produced nearly 400 yards of offense per game and scored 30 or more points in 10 games. Much of the offensive success can be attributed to the play of the CMU offensive line, which Cummings has position responsibility for, which allowed just 15 sacks, ranking No. 17 nationally.
#2 Offense in MAC in 2012 average 400 yards of offense and 30 or more points in 10 games. Line only allowed 15 sacks all year. Ours gives up 15 per game. Do ya think it could be the players....Maybe??

Cummings coached five All-Mid-American Conference offensive linemen over the last three seasons. !!!!Colin Miller and Jeff Maddux were both named to the 2010 All-MAC Second Team, while Fisher was a Third Team selection in 2011 and was honored on the All-MAC First Team in 2012. Andy Phillips was a second team pick in 2013. 5 All-Mid --American Offensive linemen over last 3 seasons!

Fisher, who also earned All-America honors from the Associated Press, became the highest NFL draft pick in MAC and Central Michigan history. A starter of all 13 games in 2012, Fisher flourished under Cummings' tutelage rising from a relatively unknown commodity at the beginning of the season to a national sensation following dominant performances at the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine. Fisher rose from an unknown to a National sensation under Cummings!

The Chippewas ranked in the top 25 nationally in passing offense during 2010 and '11 under Cummings. CMU ranked 25th nationally in 2011, averaging 274.2 yards per game through the air, one year after ranking 20th with a 284.0 yards per game average. The Chippewas have thrown for 295 or more yards 17 times over the past four seasons, including six games of 350 yards or more. High ranked offense under Cummings!

The 2010 season marked the start of Cummings' fourth stint at CMU. He was the Chippewas' offensive line coach from 1992-97 and 1999, and he was a graduate assistant at CMU during the 1988 and 1989 seasons. Cummings coached seven All-MAC honorees during his previous time at CMU.

Cummings served as the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Marshall from 2005-09. At least one Marshall offensive lineman earned All- Conference USA honors in each of his five seasons. Did well with the O-line at Marshall too!

Prior to Marshall, Cummings was the offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator at Western Michigan for three seasons.

Cummings' career also includes stops at Eastern Michigan (defensive line/ special teams/recruiting coordinator, 2000-01), Michigan State (tight ends/ special teams, 1998), Millersville (offensive line, 1990-91) and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (offensive line, 1987).

Cummings earned three varsity letters in football at Buffalo. He earned his bachelor's degree in physical education and exercise science from Buffalo in 1984 and his master's degree in athletics administration from CMU in 1990.

YearSchool/TeamPosition

Boneyarders know much more about personnel and coaching than this guy :)

Reaction Score
9609971.jpeg

Mike Cummings

Position:
Experience:
First Season
Alma Mater:
Buffalo '84
06/17/2014

YearSchool/TeamPosition

Yeah, but...he doesn't have a screen name named after TV cartoon characters...(cough, cough Nelson/Waylon)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Yeah, but...he doesn't have a screen name named after TV cartoon characters...(cough, cough Nelson/Waylon)
Sure he does. Haven't you seen all the content from Milhousevanhouten since December?

upload_2014-10-3_12-31-17.jpeg

(He's even got a headset!!!)

Last edited:

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Wow... I am not sure what you expected this year... We are near no where near where we need to be talent wise and a cultural change takes time. The well is dry from the Edsall years and the kids are working hard but just don't have the team talent to win right now. I do feel that we need to stop with the bashing of the kids on Coach D part but overall I am not going to pass judgement until year three after game 3.

Reaction Score
I've become more and more convinced as this season has gone on that Diaco is just trying to get through this year on offense because he doesn't have the quarterback he wants to run his system.
RichRod spent his first two years at Michigan trying to run the spread with Lloyd Carr's lumbering hulks and floundered. He actually went to a pro style offense to better fit his non-conforming personnel as he continued recruiting the players he needed for his preferred spread attack. But Michigan wouldn't wait and fired him. He's now doing at Arizona what he wanted to do at UM. I'm not saying Diaco has a deep seated offensive philosophy borne of any prior experience, but he certainly sees the writing on the wall. Mobile QB's provide an advantage, so why not employ them. He'll need some time to get his players so let's not be too impatient. It's no great revelation to anyone that when an offensive line is weak it distorts the productiveness of any offense. And even accepting the reality that ours is one of the weaker OL units in football, it took a few crazy early miscues and a couple mind numbing penalties to snatch defeat from a real chance at victory in several of our games. So we march on, trying to get a bit better each game. Perhaps we'll surprise a few teams down the stretch. Perhaps not. But either way, as fans our best approach is to keep the faith and trust that the turnaround is coming. We have no other choice, because the alternative is too disastrous to contemplate.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I've seen quite a few posts over the past number of weeks about how all of our offensive problems would be solved by being more creative on offense, by using three step drops, running jet sweeps, etc. The results of the offense being an indictment on the coaching staff (and to some extent the QB).

I spent a good amount of time watching the MNF game this past Monday (the Patriots got pummelled by the Chiefs). My conclusion is that Bellichick isn't as good of a football mind as many Boneyarders as he did not realize all of his offensive problems (all of which begin and end with the offensive line) would have been solved if he only was more creative on offense, ustilized three step drops and ran jet sweeps.

Reaction Score
While this might be a tough year. I do not think we are as far away as many think. If Cochran, did not get injured and retire we might be 3-2 now. Casey got the ball out quick, could anticipate the rush and does not wait to be hit so I think he would have been trusted to throw against USF and also would not have given up 16 points to Temple and demoralized the team. Need to see how Boyle does and if healthy the rest of the year. While like seeing our guys develop, coaches might have to see if they can get a fifth year senior next year to compete for job and perhaps be a stopgap as we develop the QB's on the roster.

The freshmen who have played are encouraging. Joseph, Ormsby and Carrezola all can hit and move. Fatusaki looks like he will be a beast on the line. On offense, Bloom and Myers look like they will be very good (why they have not thrown to Myers more is a bit of a mystery though), Our running backs Newsome who has potential for greatness, Mariner and Johnson seem to have speed, power and moves. Thought our three Freshman linemen Crozier, Hopkins and Rutehrford have played well in limited time and have upside, re-watched 4th quarter to get a look at back up line and they looked better than the starters, in the two series they played, first one against mainly Temple starters and second one against mostly back-ups (who are probably as good or better than Stony Brook linemen were) they looked good as were physical and moved well. Much has been made that we finally went over 100 yards (133) but looks like about 70-75 yards of those yards were in last eight minutes with Johnson and Foxx running behind the second line.

While still trying to win games think it is important for coaches to get all the young guys mentioned in as much as possible over the rest of the season, who knows maybe the threat of losing playing time might inspire some of the upper classmen to lift their game as I think coaching staff locked then into their starting spots in spring to give them confidence but now time to hold everybody accountable. No bowl this year, bowl eligible 2015 and then AAC contender in 2016.

Reaction Score
Not a fan of the hire, wanted someone with experience and from what he says, not a fan of the coach as a good bridge to the fans and potentially the kids. But...

The man has the right to install an offensive philosophy and scheme that he chooses. The kids that are left over from last year are on their third/3,5 offensive coordinator in 2 full seasons. I can almost guarantee that all of the terminology, play signaling and blocking calls and assignments have changed. Factor in poor OL recruiting from the prior regime, potentially poor conditioning under the prior regime, add in a very young team along with the fragile psyche of anyone left from the previous 3 years and you get what is currently on the field.

The question is, how long is the growth period. This season is a given. Will it also take the pre-season next year? If this is going on again next year, then calls for a change will be appropriate. BD has 3 full seasons to turn things around. Unless a new AD comes in, you can count on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom