Maybe we lost more than we thought from last year | The Boneyard

Maybe we lost more than we thought from last year

Reaction Score
Comparing the team from last year to this year, you can see some issues.

On offense, we have a new QB, new WRs, new C, and lost the FB. (Carter was replaced last year so I didn't include him.) One thing is clear, the chemistry between the QB and the WRs is not there. Part of this is due to the prolonged QB and WR battles for starting roles as well as Cam Ross coming back from injury. Maybe the coaches should have picked a QB earlier in training camp so the QB could develop some chemistry with the WRs. Even when Roberson was out there, there was a play in which he threw out and the WR went in. In contrast, URI has a 7th year QB who is in his 3rd year as starter (also played at Maryland and Tennessee and was a 4* recruit) who returned 2 of his top WRs. At WR, we have almost all new faces and the loss of Aaron Turner appears to be greater than expected. At center, according to PFF grades, Walker is a downtick from Guidone, but that is based on only 2 games. Do you make a change?

Defending our offense, right now, is pretty easy. Stop the run and that is what GSU focused on. If your strength is running the football, you better have a QB who can run. That is why I thought Roberson would be the starter this year.

On defense, the LB group was decimated by graduation as 3 of the top 5 tacklers last year were LBs. This year, only 2 LBs are among our leading tacklers, Mitchell and Plack. With Malik-Dixon out for the GSU game, UConn lost 3 of the top 5 tacklers from last year, Bouer-Randall, Dixon-Williams, and Swenson. It's clear to me, the coaches haven't figured out how to compensate for the LB losses. And, what has happened to Chris Shearin? He was the 7th leading tackler last season and he only has 3 tackles in 2 games this year.

The defense is not playing poorly, but they are being gashed by running QBs either on designed runs or on scrambles. In both the NC State and GSU games, the QB was the leading rusher. UConn has given up 364 yards to NC state and 394 yards to GSU. Not great, but not terrible. In 2021, UConn gave up an average of 452 yards per game.

Bottom line, the coaches need to make adjustments. I know it was garbage time, but Roberson looked better than Fagnano. On defense, the coaches need to adjust for a running QB. And, the team needs to be fired up as the season is not over.

Reaction Score
Nate Carter doing his thing at MSU lost quality players in the Receiving games this team isn't the same as last year which we didn't get better we got worse

Reaction Score
Comparing the team from last year to this year, you can see some issues.

On offense, we have a new QB, new WRs, new C, and lost the FB. (Carter was replaced last year so I didn't include him.) One thing is clear, the chemistry between the QB and the WRs is not there. Part of this is due to the prolonged QB and WR battles for starting roles as well as Cam Ross coming back from injury. Maybe the coaches should have picked a QB earlier in training camp so the QB could develop some chemistry with the WRs. Even when Roberson was out there, there was a play in which he threw out and the WR went in. In contrast, URI has a 7th year QB who is in his 3rd year as starter (also played at Maryland and Tennessee and was a 4* recruit) who returned 2 of his top WRs. At WR, we have almost all new faces and the loss of Aaron Turner appears to be greater than expected. At center, according to PFF grades, Walker is a downtick from Guidone, but that is based on only 2 games. Do you make a change?

Defending our offense, right now, is pretty easy. Stop the run and that is what GSU focused on. If your strength is running the football, you better have a QB who can run. That is why I thought Roberson would be the starter this year.

On defense, the LB group was decimated by graduation as 3 of the top 5 tacklers last year were LBs. This year, only 2 LBs are among our leading tacklers, Mitchell and Plack. With Malik-Dixon out for the GSU game, UConn lost 3 of the top 5 tacklers from last year, Bouer-Randall, Dixon-Williams, and Swenson. It's clear to me, the coaches haven't figured out how to compensate for the LB losses. And, what has happened to Chris Shearin? He was the 7th leading tackler last season and he only has 3 tackles in 2 games this year.

The defense is not playing poorly, but they are being gashed by running QBs either on designed runs or on scrambles. In both the NC State and GSU games, the QB was the leading rusher. UConn has given up 364 yards to NC state and 394 yards to GSU. Not great, but not terrible. In 2021, UConn gave up an average of 452 yards per game.

Bottom line, the coaches need to make adjustments. I know it was garbage time, but Roberson looked better than Fagnano. On defense, the coaches need to adjust for a running QB. And, the team needs to be fired up as the season is not over.
There has been a big drop off in linebacking play this year. We also missed Malik Dixon-Williams last night.

Reaction Score
Might have been some headline reading going on. We did not win the CFP, we lost to Marshall in a throw away bowl game. The players need to act like it. The coaches need to coach like it. Start from scratch this week. Everyone's job is up for grabs. And for goddsakes GO LIVE IN SCRIMMAGES ONCE A WEEK. These guys may not improve but they can play tough at least. Good Lord!

Reaction Score
Going into the off season last year, the general consensus seemed be that if we could just upgrade the QB position we would have a successful season, like 7 or 8 wins. I tended to agree with that view.

But then we lost 2 of our best WRs and our best RB in the portal . The loss of Guidone, Burns, Bouyer-Randall, Swenson and Bembry was not offset with new additions, at least not yet.

Being passed over again by the B12 has to be somewhat demoralizing to coaches and players alike and may also be affecting performance.

But most significantly, IMHO, was that we didn't upgrade the QB position. We benched two guys who were invested in the program in favor of an FCS transfer from a middling to below average FCS program with connections to the OC. Man, if you're going to do that, you better be certain that the guy you are bringing in will be an immediate and obvious upgrade over the guys you already have. JF did not show that, so now the OC and Mora have to do the right thing and give the reins back to TR and/or ZT.

Reaction Score
Going into the off season last year, the general consensus seemed be that if we could just upgrade the QB position we would have a successful season, like 7 or 8 wins. I tended to agree with that view.

But then we lost 2 of our best WRs and our best RB in the portal . The loss of Guidone, Burns, Bouyer-Randall, Swenson and Bembry was not offset with new additions, at least not yet.

Being passed over again by the B12 has to be somewhat demoralizing to coaches and players alike and may also be affecting performance.

But most significantly, IMHO, was that we didn't upgrade the QB position. We benched two guys who were invested in the program in favor of an FCS transfer from a middling to below average FCS program with connections to the OC. Man, if you're going to do that, you better be certain that the guy you are bringing in will be an immediate and obvious upgrade over the guys you already have. JF did not show that, so now the OC and Mora have to do the right thing and give the reins back to TR and/or ZT.
I am glad you added Zion to this discussion, maybe he's alot better than what most here believe.

Reaction Score
I am glad you added Zion to this discussion, maybe he's alot better than what most here believe.
And maybe pelicans grow out of my backyard. Maybe he's improved but last years ZT wasn't the guy and slightly improved he still ain't the guy

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score

Giving the starting role to JF, essentially unproven, did not sit well with the team. Like
I said before, I think you see us turn a new leaf and come out possessed vs. FIU.

Reaction Score
After working his butt off to rehab from last years injury, Roberson is passed over because Mora acquiesced to Charlton’s guy. Big mistake. Team knew the truth. With Roberson in the starting role the team will over perform vs FIU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The most glaring thing was not looking for Ross and Joly more. That is someone's fault and it needs to be fixed immediately.

Reaction Score
And that’s the problem. The guys we brought in thru portal last year were leaders. Ben Ty played little but remained a leader. Burns played little at start. The downside of the portal is it makes it hard to maintain a culture. Last year the culture was being formed and guys led. This year ……

Reaction Score
And that’s the problem. The guys we brought in thru portal last year were leaders. Ben Ty played little but remained a leader. Burns played little at start. The downside of the portal is it makes it hard to maintain a culture. Last year the culture was being formed and guys led. This year ……

There are teams all over the country winning games with more transfers in than us.

Reaction Score
Are the admission requirements too tough for us to compete?

Lol, no. Our admissions requirements for athletes don't exist. Anyone can get around the rules, just like they do at much stronger academic schools with better football teams than us.

Football and basketball can do whatever (read: nothing) academically and get away with it.

Reaction Score
It’s not a quantity issue.

Okay, sure. But you are laughably wrong in suggesting that we can't have good culture because of transfers. Places all over the country are doing it.

What's happening is a UConn problem, not a portal problem.

Reaction Score
After working his butt off to rehab from last years injury, Roberson is passed over because Mora acquiesced to Charlton’s guy. Big mistake. Team knew the truth. With Roberson in the starting role the team will over perform vs FIU.
Did you talk to team members?

Reaction Score
Lol, no. Our admissions requirements for athletes don't exist. Anyone can get around the rules, just like they do at much stronger academic schools with better football teams than us.

Football and basketball can do whatever (read: nothing) academically and get away with it.
Then I'm totally confused as to why we can't attract better players. We have facilities, coaching, brand, and a bunch of very successful teams already on campus.

Reaction Score
Okay, sure. But you are laughably wrong in suggesting that we can't have good culture because of transfers. Places all over the country are doing it.

What's happening is a UConn problem, not a portal problem.
You continue to miss the point

We used the portal last year successfully. We had guys who bought in - playing or not.

We have not yet replicated that formula in 24.

The challenge in the portal every year for every team is are they bringing in guys who can play and play within the confines of what staff wants and needs.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You continue to miss the point

We used the portal last year successfully. We had guys who bought in - playing or not.

We have not yet replicated that formula in 24.

The challenge in the portal every year for every team is are they bringing in guys who can play and play within the confines of what staff wants and needs.
To me the biggest portal failure was QB. It was obvious a decent transfer QB would have a good shot to start at UConn and the only QB they got was JF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom