Maybe this year gives some needed perspective | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maybe this year gives some needed perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the end of this thread could someone please compile a comprehensive list of all the records into one list. I know UConn is a few weeks away from the record for most consecutive weeks in the top 25, I am also pretty sure they have the longest streak at number one. I know USC just tied them for the fourth most consecutive weeks at number one, but I believe UConn also has the longest streak being ranked number one.

UConn holds a bunch of impressive records:
• A 111 game win streak
• A separate 89 game win streak
• 14 consecutive Final Fours (that’s 14 years)
• 30 years without back to back losses
Most NT Champion 11
Most consecutive NCs (4)
Most consecutive Div 1 NCAA Tourney wins (28)
Most consecutive 30 win seasons (14)
along with most 30 win seasons 25
Most undefeated seasons (6)

One thing that I will say, casual fans that do not follow women’s basketball closely, do not realize the severity of UConn’s injuries. I worked with a gentleman this week, while working at USC in South Carolina, who is a huge USC fan. He was giving me a hard time about the loss to USC. I explained I was relatively happy with the outcome due to the injuries, and how optimistic I was if we could get a couple players back. Firstly, he was almost oblivious to the injuries, and then he said, “Everybody has excuses.“ Most people that I come into contact with that discuss women’s basketball do not have enough knowledge and strictly go by win or losses. That is all that matters.
Sorry I don’t have the numbers in front of me but there are also streaks for consecutive conference wins (all of the AAC years plus some BE), and consecutive wins over unranked teams. The sustained excellence of this program is so impressive.

Reaction Score
Sorry I don’t have the numbers in front of me but there are also streaks for consecutive conference wins (all of the AAC years plus some BE), and consecutive wins over unranked teams. The sustained excellence of this program is so impressive.
Those were both very impressive streaks, but like the streak of avoiding back to back losses, they came to an end as well. I believe losing to Villanova last year ended both of those. The injury situation has been terrible the last two years, but it hurts even more when milestones like some of these end at least substantially because of a depleted roster.

Reaction Score
The perspective I keep is that UConn plays basketball "the right way." Geno talks about that. I remember (though short-term getting worse) Larry Brown used to talk about "the right way." And Wooden's comment is wonderful.

Reaction Score
B HB
UConn holds a bunch of impressive records:
  • A 111 game win streak
  • A separate 89 game win streak
  • 14 consecutive Final Fours (that’s 14 years)
  • 30 years without back to back losses
These are incredible achievements that I believe UConn fans take for granted. Just the first item on the above list - how hard is it to win 100+ consecutive times at anything (darts, poker, solitaire, tiddlywinks)? Beating top ranked teams, getting up against bad teams where others might lose focus, championships, on the road, through illness, finals, heck, breakups with boyfriends…. It’s remarkable that so many different groups of 18-22 year olds could do any of the stuff on that list.

I see a lot of posters on the board have expectations of UConn teams each year based on what UConn teams of the past have done. That’s erroneous. Every year presents its own set of challenges to a different cast of characters. To assume that each season will be some kind of replay of a previous year makes no sense to me.

Can we just try to keep in mind what’s going on with this year’s team without expecting them to turn into a version of a prior year team? Can expectations be adjusted for the realities of this season?

I love all of the Huskies I’ve been privileged to see play for the last 30 years. I’m proud of all of their accomplishments. I don’t know that I’ve ever been prouder than I am of this year’s group of warriors. They truly do have the Heart of a Husky, every one of them.
Totally agree. Great example of how good we STILL are is the dramatic end-score difference in South Carolina:s games with UConn abd LSU...
They beat us by just 4 points, but crushed overrated LSU by 24...............GO HUSKIES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom