Maya vs DT | The Boneyard

Maya vs DT

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Who gets the best of the other in this one? Will they go head to head in this game?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Once again, Phoenix players look off BG multiple times when she has established position. Then they throw the ball to her when she is near the three point line. Are they selfish or are they being coached to do this.

She is limited to 5 minutes a quarter and then they don't use her when she is in the game.

I guess I got my answer. The commentator said that Gaines said that since the first three games that they have not run a single play for Griner.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Is the game televised or do you have internet access to it? is tehre a place to watch it for free?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Is the game televised or do you have internet access to it? is tehre a place to watch it for free?

It's on WNBA Live Access. It's only $14.99 for the entire season and you get every game for every team.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's on WNBA Live Access. It's only $14.99 for the entire season and you get every game for every team.
That's actually not a bad deal - since i have a large computer screen...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Bonner 0-8 from the floor, include in 0-3 from 3 point ranger and multiple wild shots. I'm having a real hard time appreciating her game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I use my iPad with AppleTV and watch the games on my flat screen TV.
Yeah, um, I'm lucky I know how to operate my remote. I can barely figure out how to get the DVR, Play Station, , and TV all to work when they are supposed to and flow thru my stereo system for surround sound. Add in anything else and i'd fry my brain lol.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
25-22 Diana leads and 60-56 Phx leads. Bonner 0-11. Wright has been barely better for Minny.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I just don't get it. Bonner take 13 shots and makes zero. Deupree shoots 13 and makes 4. Then there's BG shooting 60% for the season and gets 6 shots and hardly got to touch the ball in the last 6 or 7 minutes of the game.

Gaines has to get her some touches. She is doing no good to Phoenix setting screens 25 feet from the basket. Anybody could do that. They might as well have traded the number 1 pick to someone who actually wanted a center that they could use.

Reaction Score
I just don't get it. Bonner take 13 shots and makes zero. Deupree shoots 13 and makes 4. Then there's BG shooting 60% for the season and gets 6 shots and hardly got to touch the ball in the last 6 or 7 minutes of the game.

Gaines has to get her some touches. She is doing no good to Phoenix setting screens 25 feet from the basket. Anybody could do that. They might as well have traded the number 1 pick to someone who actually wanted a center that they could use.
Agree

Griner does seem wasted somewhat in this system. It seems Gains got no idea how to utilize a real center :(

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well this is the first game i actually watched. I agree with you - But Dupree usually shoots better than 4-13, which is why she takes so many shots. Still, having Dupree and Bonner take a majority of your shots is not a recipe for success. We will see. It's not rocket science. If casual fans can look at the way they play and see something wrong, then either we are a bunch of dopes (which is totally possible), or the supposedly best coaches in the WNBA are morons (which also is totally possible)...

Reaction Score
Minnie out-rebounds Phoenix 48 to 26...Maya 16, BG 7...ouch!

I'm guessing Maya was matched defensively against Dewanna Bonner...who goes 0-13...

The Invincible Queen...! :D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Minnie out-rebounds Phoenix 48 to 26...Maya 16, BG 7...ouch!

I'm guessing Maya was matched defensively against Dewanna Bonner...who goes 0-13...

The Invincible Queen...! :D

I've watched BG to figure out why she is not a better rebound. She just doesn't seem to have the foot quickness to change direction quickly, which her size 17 mens's shoe could have something to do with. She also seems to lack the instincts for where the ball is going. Maybe that has something to do with not playing basketball until her freshman years in HS.

But one thing I do know is that Gaines is probably not the one to teach her. Phoenix plays street ball and Griner probably will develop very little under him.

Reaction Score
I've watched BG to figure out why she is not a better rebound. She just doesn't seem to have the foot quickness to change direction quickly, which her size 17 mens's shoe could have something to do with. She also seems to lack the instincts for where the ball is going. Maybe that has something to do with not playing basketball until her freshman years in HS.

But one thing I do know is that Gaines is probably not the one to teach her. Phoenix plays street ball and Griner probably will develop very little under him.

What kind of rebounding numbers would you like to see? I, personally, will take 7 rebounds in 22 minutes. Plus, as expected, is leading the league in blocked shots. Hasheem Thabeet, Big East Defensive Player of the Year in 2009 was an excellent shot blocker, not a great rebounder; Helped, in large part by Jeff Adrian. Maybe you are right about Griner not being a good rebounder who lacks instincts. Does that make her any less effective on the defensive end? Is there really an instinct, as you put it, for being in the right place for rebounds? Chris Bosh, when discussing the rebound leading up to Ray Allen's dramatic three, specifically said that he hoped the rebound would come to his area; And he had a great look at LeBron's shot. Anyone with enough time to watch a shot go up and accurately guess where the rebound is going to land is, likely, not making the effort to box out. In time, there will be women as tall as Ms Griner with better foot speed.

Reaction Score

Your expectations are understandably high for Brittany...but typically pro players don't adapt to the pace of the game for at least 18 months...and Brittany has to work her way into a scheme that isn't built around the traditional low post center. Give her some time. I think she's ideally suited to a fast-paced, entertaining team like Phoenix...let's face it...she can run the court for her size and doesn't really need to slog inside with 3 players draped all over her.

Patience... ;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Your expectations are understandably high for Brittany...but typically pro players don't adapt to the pace of the game for at least 18 months...and Brittany has to work her way into a scheme that isn't built around the traditional low post center. Give her some time. I think she's ideally suited to a fast-paced, entertaining team like Phoenix...let's face it...she can run the court for her size and doesn't really need to slog inside with 3 players draped all over her.

Patience... ;)

All the more adjustment for her bc of the defensive 3 secs

Much bigger impact on her defensively than for any of the other 4 positions

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
All the more adjustment for her bc of the defensive 3 secs

Much bigger impact on her defensively than for any of the other 4 positions

That is a very good point. Guards and forwards don't have to adjust to that rule and play basically the same type of game that they played in college.

And I agree that 10 points and 7 rebounds in 22 minutes are pretty darn good numbers.

I still don't think Gaines knows how to use BG, nor do her teammates. Some of them seem as if the have never passed to the post before, or at least don't want to. Gaines needs to take a few shots a game from each 30something % shooter and give those shots to the ONLY player in the WNBA that is shooting 60+% from the floor. BG getting only 6 shots in 22 minutes if action is ridiculous.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree - patiencie re BG. Some of the other woes are far more troubling.

And rebounding instinct will either come to her, or it won't be the biggest part of her game. The best women's rebounder I ever saw was a transfer from Penn State that played briefly at Rutgers before blowing out her knee permanently. Don't remember the name, but I have NEVER seen anyone like her for simply ending up with the ball in her hands after a shot - it was uncanny. So I agree with the person who spoke about instinct being important, as well as "want", but I think scoring and blocks will ultimately define BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom