Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons | The Boneyard

Maya Moore and Jonathan Irons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disclaimer: I post inflammatory takes here. I barely read more than the ESPN article. I think that, generally speaking, protests are often ineffective and wastes of time.

What exactly did she do here? She sat out 2 seasons and the Olympics and I guess I'm not sure why? This is a legal matter, in the hands of the court. I don't know what her involvement could have done to help other than maybe financial backing? And if that was the case, couldn't she still have played? I mean, I don't see a judge ready to continue along towards a guilty verdict....then seeing Maya Moore there changing their mind.

At the end of the day, it's her time and decision and I do respect that....but I (ignorantly) don't really know how she helped. If I'm wrong, I would certainly like to know. Anyone?

Reaction Score
Disclaimer: I post inflammatory takes here. I barely read more than the ESPN article. I think that, generally speaking, protests are often ineffective and wastes of time.

What exactly did she do here? She sat out 2 seasons and the Olympics and I guess I'm not sure why? This is a legal matter, in the hands of the court. I don't know what her involvement could have done to help other than maybe financial backing? And if that was the case, couldn't she still have played? I mean, I don't see a judge ready to continue along towards a guilty verdict....then seeing Maya Moore there changing their mind.

At the end of the day, it's her time and decision and I do respect that....but I (ignorantly) don't really know how she helped. If I'm wrong, I would certainly like to know. Anyone?
Not entirely clear on the details of what she did but certainly media attention, public pressure on the case, possibly help getting better representation and financial help. It’s easy to assume her help did nothing but there are also tons of people like him who will never get it overturned in a justice system that is already completely overwhelmed and where many inmates don’t have the resources or pull to put up a real fight. I think it’s great that she put someone else in front of herself and sacrificed for it. Very cool story and a great UConn representative.

Reaction Score
"In early 2019, she stunned the sports world by announcing she would take a timeout from basketball, in part so she could devote more time and energy to helping Irons mount what they thought would be his final appeal. She used her fame to raise awareness and helped fund the hiring of Kent Gipson, a highly regarded defense attorney based in Kansas City, Mo., to handle Irons’s case. "

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
If anyone wanted to know what she did specifically, they could probably find it by doing some minor internet research.

I'm not even sure what else could be "criticized" nowadays if taking a year off from your limited time profession, at the peak of your ability, to help someone else, can be questioned.

Such a weird world we live in.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Not entirely clear on the details of what she did but certainly media attention, public pressure on the case, possibly help getting better representation and financial help. It’s easy to assume her help did nothing but there are also tons of people like him who will never get it overturned in a justice system that is already completely overwhelmed and where many inmates don’t have the resources or pull to put up a real fight. I think it’s great that she put someone else in front of herself and sacrificed for it. Very cool story and a great UConn representative.

The only thing I disagree with in this post is "it's easy to assume her help did nothing" I couldn't disagree more, which is why the questioning of her actions is offensive, to me.

Most people in her position wouldn't do that if her help did nothing. Just the media attention alone would help, and she's done much more than that.

I'm nitpicking your sentence in your post which appears to not even be your position, so please don't take this as an attack on you - it's more an attack on anyone that would question her helping this guy.

Even if it did absolutely nothing in the long run for him, it's at minimum a selfless, noble act.

Reaction Score
If anyone wanted to know what she did specifically, they could probably find it by doing some minor internet research.

I'm not even sure what else could be "criticized" nowadays if taking a year off from your limited time profession, at the peak of your ability, to help someone else, can be questioned.

I did end up looking. It took me 7 or 8 articles before I found someone that said her influence and financial position got him a much better lawyer. I thought about deleting the thread, but figured if someone saw that post it actually explained how she helped.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
She left basketball for ministry work , to follow God's calling , strengthen her relationship with and defend the oppressed and wrongfully accused.

Also to simply take a break from BBall and rest. The professional women play year round with no offseason to make ends meat. They play the WNBA season (which obv doesn't pay) and when that ends, they immediately go to Europe and play that season (pays much better). Then back to the WNBA. It's a grind and hard on the body.

Reaction Score
Even when I saw who started this thread I still didn't think this was the route he was going to go.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maya Moore is a once in a generation type individual. She is destined for greatness. In life. Her calling has been answered. I don't believe WBB is in her future.

Think about it. Would you walk away from a multiple six figure career for "a cause"?

Geno must be proud.

Reaction Score
:cool:
Yeah Mau - clarify yourself!!!!;):eek: what BS
I guess some don't understand the meaning of - "to each their own" - must be a generational thing:cool:
As others have said, what she does with her time is her decision, but "By all accounts"? Guess it depends on a personal view. There are commendatory qualities to her actions
Me, it makes no difference what she does, whether I agree or disagree and it doesn't have an affect on my life or that of my family/someone close to me - to each their own
Clarification to you? why?

These sort of responses are so duck____ weird.

What are the "qualities to her actions" that someone would think not "commendatory" about this?

This would seem like the kind of story where everyone could say, wow, good for her. I guess not.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore is a once in a generation type individual. She is destined for greatness. In life. Her calling has been answered. I don't believe WBB is in her future.

Think about it. Would you walk away from a multiple six figure career for "a cause"?

Geno must be proud.
I agree completely, Maya Moore is a special human being. The only issue with your post: she didn’t walk away from her career for a cause. She did it for another human being. God bless her. God reward her. She makes me proud to be a Uconn fan.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
These sort of responses are so duck____ weird.

What are the "qualities to her actions" that someone would think not "commendatory" about this?

This would seem like the kind of story where everyone could say, wow, good for her. I guess not.

"I'm the toughest in the room and also no one can tell me how to think!"

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I did end up looking. It took me 7 or 8 articles before I found someone that said her influence and financial position got him a much better lawyer. I thought about deleting the thread, but figured if someone saw that post it actually explained how she helped.
You would have had an answer within two replies if you posted on the Women's Board or tagged @HuskyNan

Reaction Score
I thought I was clear that I wasn't bothered and was more confused why she did it. I probably posted prematurely and after research found out why.

Kraft got a handy because he's a sexual deviant and pervert. I don't know that it bothers me as much as I'm grossed out by it.
Just overall a very odd take no matter what research you did or didn’t- as some others mentioned- what is there to criticize considering she stepped away from her profession & money to help another person.

How do you ever come up with a negative take for something like that- lol- sorry for putting you on the spot- just don’t understand- maybe woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
One Friday morning circa 2009 as I dragged my hungover self to my car in DLot at 7am en route an internship I crossed paths with Maya Moore leaving Gampel looking like a million bucks and reading for pleasure. I’ve never felt more crappy about myself.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
One Friday morning circa 2009 as I dragged my hungover self to my car in DLot at 7am en route an internship I crossed paths with Maya Moore leaving Gampel looking like a million bucks and reading for pleasure. I’ve never felt more crappy about myself.

That's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger