Maya and Breanna through 8 games | The Boneyard

Maya and Breanna through 8 games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While the excitement over Breanna' stats has died down over the last couple of games I thought it might be interesting to show her stats next to Maya's after 8 games. Up to this point Maya and Breanna played pretty similar roles, and their stats do reflect that similarity. In the 8th game of the year Kalana was injured and Maya's role changed and her minutes significantly increased after that. Maya's minutes increased and much more of the minutes were played at wing instead of the post.

Breanna's stats on the left and Maya's on the right. I think the stats do a good job of highlighing their similiarities and differences as players.

Off rebounds: 18 ; 24
Def rebounds: 34 ; 24
Assists: 10 ; 24
Turnovers: 11 ; 13
Steals: 8 ; 15
Blocks: 12 ;17
Fouls: 14 ; 14
Minutes:178 ; 172
FT-FTA: 24-29 ; 13-21
3FG-FGA: 7-18 ; 5-16
FG-FGA: 45-77 ; 57-91

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Interesting that Maya had more blocks than 7' 1".

Reaction Score
Sorry to disappoint you, but Maya never played the post. That was Tina's territory. Maya didn't like playing in the post, but she had to her senior year because UConn had so few options.

Reaction Score
Maya absolutely played the post most of her time at UConn. Don't confuse playing a post position with playing center.
Sorry to disappoint you, but Maya never played the post. That was Tina's territory. Maya didn't like playing in the post, but she had to her senior year because UConn had so few options.

Reaction Score
Hey, hows about Kaleena? I know Stewart is awesome and I am so glad we landed her, but this thread bothers me, as it ,makes it look like Kaleena is just an average player. Kaleena had a pretty damn good freshman season herself.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The big 3 this season are KML Stef and Breanna. Bria BB will put up points, Caroline and Kelly will assist. We need to have plays where KML stef and Breanna are the focal point of the offense. They do the most damage. Most plays have to run through them.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You guys are reading my mind.

1. I was surprised that Maya had more blocks. I think her length, elevation, and anticipation surprised people her first year (at least).

2. I'd like to see KML's numbers too. I think she surpassed Sveta's frosh scoring and was second only to the Magnificent One. She is not chopped liver. Look for her to join Sveta and Dee as a 3x AA.

Reaction Score
I had access to Maya's stats already as Kalana's injury was a natural breaking point for season splits. And they are more comparable because they were playing the same position on a similarly talented team. That makes for a more meaningful statistical comparison, but since you asked.
Breanna's stats on the left and Maya's on the right. I think the stats do a good job of highlighing their similiarities and differences as players. Kaleena in blue. Maybe the reason for why it was initially just Breanna and Maya will be evident to you. Different role. Different situation.

Off rebounds: 18 ; 24 ; 9
Def rebounds: 34 ; 24 ; 34
Assists: 10 ; 24 ; 17
Turnovers: 11 ; 13 ; 7
Steals: 8 ; 15 ; 14
Blocks: 12 ;17 ; 5
Fouls: 14 ; 14 ; 15
Minutes:178 ; 172 ; 211
FT-FTA: 24-29 ; 13-21 ; 9-12
3FG-FGA: 7-18 ; 5-16 ; 23-56
FG-FGA: 45-77 ; 57-91 ; 48-100

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, Scotter.

Wow! Look at KML's 3-point attempts! She also did well with assists, steals, and TOs.

Reaction Score
Maya is a great shot blocker. It is one the key differences between her and Tamika Catchings for example. And Maya's block rate as a sophomore was nearly exactly the same as her freshman year, but I think people have forgotten how amazing she was as a shot blocker especially during those first 8 games where she was free to run around with abandon because of the team depth.
You guys are reading my mind.

1. I was surprised that Maya had more blocks. I think her length, elevation, and anticipation surprised people her first year (at least).

2. I'd like to see KML's numbers too. I think she surpassed Sveta's frosh scoring and was second only to the Magnificent One. She is not chopped liver. Look for her to join Sveta and Dee as a 3x AA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya is a great shot blocker. It is one the key differences between her and Tamika Catchings for example. And Maya's block rate as a sophomore was nearly exactly the same as her freshman year, but I think people have forgotten how amazing she was as a shot blocker especially during those first 8 games where she was free to run around with abandon because of the team depth.
I know Maya is a great shot blocker, but she is not 6'4" with a 7'1" wingspan.

I remember the spectacular nature of Maya's blocks, but may have forgotten the number.

Jim

Reaction Score
A number of Maya's blocks occurred because she never gave up on a play. She would run down players from behind who had broken away for an "uncontested" layup.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A number of Maya's blocks occurred because she never gave up on a play. She would run down players from behind who had broken away for an "uncontested" layup.
Never taking a play off. Kelly might have been done the same regardless, but she had a good role model in Maya.

Reaction Score
I had access to Maya's stats already as Kalana's injury was a natural breaking point for season splits. And they are more comparable because they were playing the same position on a similarly talented team. That makes for a more meaningful statistical comparison, but since you asked.

How are Maya and Breanna similar? The teams were similarly talented? I would disagree with that. I think Maya's team when she was a freshman had considerable more talent than say this team. This team, while great..... returned Stef, Bria, KML, Kelly, and Caroline who saw significant minutes. Kiah played some the year before... and Brianna was used very rarely. This year Breanna's number were higher due to the injury to Bria and KML.
Keep in mind Maya's freshman season she had players like Ketia, Renee, Tina, Kaili, Meghan G, Charde Houston, Brittany, Kalana, and Mel Thomas. Kalana played in 8 games, Mel in 16.... Maya had more "player" who could score surrounding her

To be honest, with a Brianna Banks who did not play well last year, a freshman Kiah, a Kelly who did not look to score..... I would have to say that KML was the most handicapped of the three people. Give the girl her props

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You contradict yourself "Maya never played the post" to "but she had to her senior year," and in the end affirm exactly what Scotter said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom