May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 13 | The Boneyard

May 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My first choice is Azzi. Duh! Iriafen would be a great get, but she may not leave California. Hollingshead fills a need. KMac is dynamic and would add to our athleticism.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What’s in the water at SC and what is Dawn doing?
Tell me if I am wrong or if I state this wrong; but Dawn has an edge on every other top ranked head coach except for the new coach at ND. She can show these young ladies how to be a successful black woman in our current world. She has now succeeded at every level of her chosen profession. Quite an accomplishment that I think is only rivaled by Swin Cash and a few others, none of whom are head coaches at major basketball powers except Niele and Niele has just started.

Edit: I forgot about the new coach at Hail State, Nikki McCray-Penson but she hasn't accomplished all that Dawn has.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Tell me if I am wrong or if I state this wrong; but Dawn has an edge on every other top ranked head coach except for the new coach at ND. She can show these young ladies how to be a successful black woman in our current world. She has now succeeded at every level of her chosen profession. Quite an accomplishment that I think is only rivaled by Swin Cash and a few others, none of whom are head coaches at major basketball powers except Niele and Niele has just started.

Edit: I forgot about the new coach at Hail State, Nikki McCray-Penson but she hasn't accomplished all that Dawn has.
You make an important point. I would only add that while Nikki McCray & Niele Ivie both appear to be great hires, unlike Dawn, they both still have to prove they can be successful at the highest level of WBB as HC’s.

Reaction Score
The Fudds travel a lot! So travel isn't an issue for them. Plus being in the BE, there will be games at GT, Vill, Seton Hall, St. Johns, and other venues along the east coast for friends and family to see her. And her besty Paige will be her roommate!

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if Liv has a friendship with Hollingshead? With the team staying at 10 this year and my thinking that Westbrook will only stay 1 year, there is room for another 5 player class....

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
What’s in the water at SC and what is Dawn doing?

Dawn has slowly but very surely turned a bottom tier program into a top tier, perennial top 5 program that has learned how to win. Her Gamecocks have become fan favorites across the entire state. South Carolina has also become a destination for top ranked high school seniors (Boston, Rivers & Feagin e.g.), as well as disgruntled transfers looking for a fresh start. Winning a national championship recently gave her program national recognition and credibility. Going 32-1 last year including a win over UConn than held the Huskies to a record 2 points in the 1st quarter, propelled this program into the national spotlight. Like UConn and Baylor, SC no longer hopes to be a 1 seed in the national tournament every year, now they expect it.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What’s the appeal? To have to listen to Frese and watch your teammates transfer?
Being near the nation's capital.

Being near home.

Having a very nice arena.

Playing for a ranked team that has won a championship (albeit 14 years ago).

Reaction Score
Being near the nation's capital.

Being near home.

Having a very nice arena.

Playing for a ranked team that has won a championship (albeit 14 years ago).
You gotta come up with more than that. ;) None of that matches up with her stated goal of becoming a pro and becoming the best player she can be.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn has apparently sent a letter of interest to 7th grader Kasey Harper from Hallettsville Texas. The year in the tweet seems to be wrong. She should be a 2025.

Reaction Score
UConn has apparently sent a letter of interest to 7th grader Kasey Harper from Hallettsville Texas. The year in the tweet seems to be wrong. She should be a 2025.

Should someone tell Dad?

Reaction Score

If McPherson can polish her jump shot and become a legitimate threat from the outside, she is the best point guard in the 2021 class! She is as an explosive athlete, great handle with either hand, gets to the rim at will, plays tenacious defense, great passer( not flashy, but gets the ball where it needs to go), can finish with either hand, vastly improved mid-range game, super tough kid that is not afraid to take a charge or mix it up for a rebound, extremely strong and well built kid, and a great leader that puts the team above all else.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

A letter of interest is very different from an offer. Jaelyn Bates got a nice letter in 9th grade or so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You gotta come up with more than that. ;) None of that matches up with her stated goal of becoming a pro and becoming the best player she can be.
Maryland is an Under Armor school. Maybe that makes a difference.

I totally agree that UConn is a much better fit for Azzi. But, if she's considering Maryland, I'm trying to list reasons why.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A letter of interest is very different from an offer. Jaelyn Bates got a nice letter in 9th grade or so.

That's true Mil, but "offers" begin with letters of interest. I understand that some coaches (programs) cut to the chase, and "offer" a player in their first contact letter/correspondence. Most don't. Seems a little presumptuous especially if there has never been a face-to-face meeting with player and parents. :cool:

Reaction Score
It's possible. I don't think it's the best place for her, but I can see the appeal.
Not the best place for her! Recruits go there for one maybe two years and a good many transfer out. Something doesn’t fit right. She would do better under Geno tutelage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom