MaxPreps article on Saniya's omission from the McD's AA game | The Boneyard

MaxPreps article on Saniya's omission from the McD's AA game

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I called a McDonald's All America voter, who said Chong isn't nearly as athletic or strong all-around as the 24 selected."

B.S.

U

UCONNfan1

Like his comments, but sadly, he's wrong on a couple of things. Just because someone earns a full ride to UCONN does not automatically put them in the top 40 nationally. Buck, Engeln, and I'm sure others weren't top 40. Also she tried out for, but was cut from, the US national team who's tryouts she was invited to. I don't disagree that she's a top 40, or even higher, kid. The fact that she was invited to the US National tryouts and made the WCBA all star team is an indication of how good she is. Her stock may be rising faster than other seniors, but I don't see an issue with excluding her from the McD AA game.

He should have done a little more homework and discovered if other kids on the McD AA team had big losses at the Nike tourney, or lost other high profile games. Just Because Saniya's team lost all the games they played doesn't take anything away from her, it just means maybe her team simply wasn't as talented as the other teams invited.

Didn't she play a game vs. Sierra Calhoun where Saniya dominated? I think you'd have to look at her performance against other top level kids where they guarded each other and see how each one performed... And anyone who says she's not "as athletic as the other kids selected" obviously hasn't seen her play. She may not be Diamond Deshields or Asia Wilson athletic, but she's plenty athletic, and more so than most...

Still, his enthusiasm for her game was nice to see...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not sure your facts are right on Buck and Engeln.

U

UCONNfan1

Buck was 31 per HG but I thought she was over 40 per the others. Maybe BS had her in the top 20? But I thought she was lower rated. Probably an example of people ranking her too high due to being accepted to UCONN. I think ASGR had Engeln in the top 40, but most of the rest had her over 50, HG with her at 95.

Reaction Score
Comparisons may be a bit arbitrary, with nothing to be done by the snubbed players except perform well when the time comes at the next level. Saniya is slender and that attribute may cause some to wonder whether she will excel when confronted with the the smash mouth aspect of the college game? I will own up to wondering about that myself.

I suppose it's just as easy to bulk up a bit without compromising other skills as it is to slim down. I gather the current plan is for Stewie to enter into the nutrition ( +) program just as it was for Stef to complete nutrition (-). For Saniya it might need to be (++).

Reaction Score
Update on today's game with Scarsdale. Saniya had 30 points. No other numbers available yet but she had numerous blocks, steals, rebounds and especially assists in 3 quarters. Ossining won 94 to 49 and the score at half time was 61 to 13. In addition, the game was Coach Ricci's 350 victory in 22 years as Ossining's head coach.
Next up is Ursuline Academy of New Rochelle in a Section One Class AA semifinal to be played at The Westchester County Center in White Plains on Thursday 2/28/13at either 3 or 4:45 pm.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Whenever you look at all-star selections, you have to ask the question, whom should she replace? Who was the last player selected? It is very difficult when the players haven't played against each other. All star selections are more like a beauty contest than a scientific process. IOW, it is what it is.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Compare her to the guard from Oregon, Reynolds I believe is her name. Who have they played and how did she do?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Strong? I'll agree. Athletic? Nope.

I have not seen many of the kids selected, but I bet she uses her off-hand better than any of them. She already is better than Renee Montgomery, Tiffany Hayes, Alana Beard, and others at that.

She gets to the line a lot and shoots an EDD-like percentage.

She is near the top in the nation in scoring AND assists. Who else is?

Reaction Score
"I called a McDonald's All America voter, who said Chong isn't nearly as athletic or strong all-around as the 24 selected."

B.S.

+1

Saniya is very athletic and deceptively strong for her lean build.......she takes hits driving the lane very well. Will she need to get stronger and put on some bulk....sure..............that's one of the reasons she'll be in the weight room with her teammates.

Reaction Score
Like his comments, but sadly, he's wrong on a couple of things. Just because someone earns a full ride to UCONN does not automatically put them in the top 40 nationally. Buck, Engeln, and I'm sure others weren't top 40. Also she tried out for, but was cut from, the US national team who's tryouts she was invited to. I don't disagree that she's a top 40, or even higher, kid. The fact that she was invited to the US National tryouts and made the WCBA all star team is an indication of how good she is. Her stock may be rising faster than other seniors, but I don't see an issue with excluding her from the McD AA game.

He should have done a little more homework and discovered if other kids on the McD AA team had big losses at the Nike tourney, or lost other high profile games. Just Because Saniya's team lost all the games they played doesn't take anything away from her, it just means maybe her team simply wasn't as talented as the other teams invited.

Didn't she play a game vs. Sierra Calhoun where Saniya dominated? I think you'd have to look at her performance against other top level kids where they guarded each other and see how each one performed... And anyone who says she's not "as athletic as the other kids selected" obviously hasn't seen her play. She may not be Diamond Deshields or Asia Wilson athletic, but she's plenty athletic, and more so than most...

Here's a quote from the article........"It should be noted she did have 91 points, 13 rebounds and eight steals in those three games and made 24 of 27 free throws. She also had 46 points and 12 assists in an 89-84 win over Christ the King (Bronx, N.Y.), a program with a storied national history."

+1 on Saniya's athleticism.

Reaction Score
Update on today's game with Scarsdale. Saniya had 30 points. No other numbers available yet but she had numerous blocks, steals, rebounds and especially assists in 3 quarters. Ossining won 94 to 49 and the score at half time was 61 to 13. In addition, the game was Coach Ricci's 350 victory in 22 years as Ossining's head coach.
Next up is Ursuline Academy of New Rochelle in a Section One Class AA semifinal to be played at The Westchester County Center in White Plains on Thursday 2/28/13at either 3 or 4:45 pm.

Saniya would have had several more assists if her teammates hadn't mishandled several passess and missed some layups! Saniya practicaly scored herself on many of those passes to her teammates by putting the pass in the perfect place to score. Her teammates just had to guide it to the hoop. Man, can that girl pass the ball.....I can't wait till Saniya is throwing those bullet passes to Stef, Breanna, Kiah and Morgan! And to BH, KML, BB and MJ too!

sTu

Reaction Score
" Chong isn't nearly as athletic or strong all-around as the 24 selected."

Reminds me of all the negative commentary about DT-slow, cannot move laterally etc.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It was all political, simple and clear.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
" Chong isn't nearly as athletic or strong all-around as the 24 selected."

Reminds me of all the negative commentary about DT-slow, cannot move laterally etc.
Well those were actually true, but with her other skills it really didn't matter.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Wild...Time: do you know what the teams are in the non-Saniya semi?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Here's a quote from the article........"It should be noted she did have 91 points, 13 rebounds and eight steals in those three games and made 24 of 27 free throws. She also had 46 points and 12 assists in an 89-84 win over Christ the King (Bronx, N.Y.), a program with a storied national history."

+1 on Saniya's athleticism.
and she had a stomach virus. She scored I think 29 in the fourth quarter.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
From what Ive heard 5 of the people voting were from the Philly Belles and I was told when asked why Saniya didnt make the team, one person said well if she had played for the Belles she wouldve made it. You guys know me and I dont like that.

As far as Saniyas athletic ability. The kid has averaged over 30+ pts a game for the past 3 years and is usually in double digets in assists every game. Hey Stef wasnt athletic and shes now the second best post player in WCBB and Diana wasnt athletic and shes the best female BB player in the world. So I dont believe that, its just an excuse in my mind.

Saniya is a very speical player and when she arrives in Storrs next season you will see that. I cant wait for MoJeff and Saniya to be playing side by side. It wont get much better then that.

Reaction Score

I believe Buck was in the to 30, 26th as I recall, and Lauren was 60th as I recall in the Hoopgirz ranking.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Saniya is a very speical player and when she arrives in Storrs next season you will see that. I cant wait for MoJeff and Saniya to be playing side by side. It wont get much better then that.
Yep, Tony, just a rationalization to justify the action. WBCA, certainly, found her credible with only 20 choices.

Reaction Score
In the Christ the King game Saniya had 35 points in the final 11:38, including 15 of 16 from the line. Yes she was sick, but sucked it up and totally took over the game in dominating fashion!!

Reaction Score
Wild...Time: do you know what the teams are in the non-Saniya semi?

Class AA Thursday, February 28
No. 2 Lourdes vs. No. 6 New Rochelle, 3 p.m.
No. 1 Ossining vs. No. 4 Ursuline, 4:45 p.m.

Both games at the Westchester County Center.

Reaction Score
From what Ive heard 5 of the people voting were from the Philly Belles and I was told when asked why Saniya didnt make the team, one person said well if she had played for the Belles she wouldve made it. You guys know me and I dont like that.

As far as Saniyas athletic ability. The kid has averaged over 30+ pts a game for the past 3 years and is usually in double digets in assists every game. Hey Stef wasnt athletic and shes now the second best post player in WCBB and Diana wasnt athletic and shes the best female BB player in the world. So I dont believe that, its just an excuse in my mind.

Dont know if its 5 but that explains a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom