Maui wildfires | The Boneyard

Maui wildfires

Reaction Score
Have not seen much coverage on this, but it appears to be a pretty major crisis in Maui at the moment. Apparently old town Lahaina may be burning down. Don't know if this will affect the Lahaina civic center where Maui invitational is played. I know its a couple miles from downtown Lahaina but these fires are zero contained, so this is still a developing story. We were planning on going to Maui invitational next year as we have the past 3 times UConn has participated. Heartbreaking to hear about the historic district of Lahaina.

Reaction Score
Terrible, I was hoping to go for the first time next year and have been really looking forward to it. Hopefully all the locals are safe.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Have not seen much coverage on this, but it appears to be a pretty major crisis in Maui at the moment. Apparently old town Lahaina may be burning down. Don't know if this will affect the Lahaina civic center where Maui invitational is played. I know its a couple miles from downtown Lahaina but these fires are zero contained, so this is still a developing story. We were planning on going to Maui invitational next year as we have the past 3 times UConn has participated. Heartbreaking to hear about the historic district of Lahaina.

Syracuse fan started it trying to avoid an 0-3 2023 tourney with a loss to Chaminade in November.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Maui wowie!

Reaction Score
Lots of tragedy on the island. Tons of people have lost everything, the resources available are scarce, help is hard to come by & they’ve had fatalities.

I know it’s an online blog, but let’s show a little bit of class & refrain from the jokes

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maui wowie!
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

You went there

Reaction Score
Wow, just saw Maui, trending on twitter, the whole area of Lahaina is gone. I went to the tourney the year Kemba and Co won and was sitting with a smaller group of Uconn fans that year, including his mom and dad. Had a friend & wife from CT who had just moved to Oahu a month before the tourney. To see what it looks like now in those aerial shots is heartbreaking. Prayers for the people.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My wife and I have spent 8+ weeks in north west Maui over the last two and a half years so all the pictures and video are really familiar areas for us. From the video above, it looks like the Banyan Tree survived but it looks like old town Lahaina is mostly ash. Very sad. Such a cool area.

It's so hard to get resources there in a timely manner. It's going to be a rough few weeks for the locals and stranded tourists and a very long rebuild for sure.

Reaction Score
Stayed at the Sheraton Maui Resort on our honeymoon (where UConn has stayed multiple times), and we spent some time on Front Street for dinner, etc and it’s basically all gone now…

Reaction Score
They had boats at the shoreline catching fire. Desperate situation that came out of no where. Sustained winds plus fire are devastating.

Reaction Score
I doubt it's that Vince Carter (the video).. but .....

Vince was actually our pilot for the open door Helicopter tour of Maui and Moloka’i last summer. Great guy that is former Air Force pilot turned Tour pilot and genuinely loves his job because “3-4 times a day I get to give people the highlight of their trip”.

Really sad to see what’s happened to Lahaina. Spent the first day of our honeymoon there and it really was a special place. Will be keeping an eye out to see how we can help from the East Coast in the coming weeks.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Someone asked about the Civic Center and it appears it was used as one of the evacuation sites -God help these poor people

Reaction Score

Oh no. Damn, first and foremost I hope the rest of the people in Lahaina are okay as well as their houses and I hope this fire doesn't persist. It's tragic that 6 people died and about 270+ houses got destroyed, SMH. That video is sobering to say the least.

Second, I was planning on a trip their in November 2024 to watch our Huskies play there.

Edit: I just read the summary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hearing that the body count is going to be a bit more than 36 unfortunately.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Breathtakingly horrific scene. Wow.

Reaction Score
I am devastated for Lahaina and Maui. I was fortunate to live and work on Maui for a few years, which included the year UConn won the invitational. I am thankful I have been able to check in with all friends I still have there. I never thought I’d be so happy to see a tree survive a fire if it does but I used to eat my packed lunch just sitting under it watching the ocean. I don’t know if it’s appropriate to mention here and my comment can be removed if so, but I have adopted from, volunteered for and donated many times to the Maui Humane Society. They are a wonderful organization and are definitely in need of help right now with displaced pets and emergency medical care for them.

Reaction Score
An article in today's WSJ says that the town was warned in 2014 by the Hawaii Wildfire Management Organization that recommended "a multitude of mitigation measures that needed to be undertaken to shield the area around Lahaina from fires." Some measures were undertaken, and others not performed due to lack of funding. Another Report in 2020 warned of the fire risks in the area do to the possibility of high winds in hurricanes. Sadly, the warnings were not heeded and the predictions became reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom