Maui Invitational | The Boneyard

Maui Invitational

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
How the hell did they pair the number 1 team in the country, Kansas, vs Chaminade in the first round? If it were UConn at that Tournament, I would be pissed off. Put Syracuse or UCLA with them. That's just so weird to me.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the highest rated team always play Chaminade?

Kansas played them in the 2019 Maui Invitational also.

Reaction Score
On a side note,

Had anyone every been to the Maui invitational before? I am possibly looking at going next year.

Does anyone have ideas on what potential prices would be, say per person, for hotels, flights, tickets to games?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
On a side note,

Had anyone every been to the Maui invitational before? I am possibly looking at going next year.

Does anyone have ideas on what potential prices would be, say per person, for hotels, flights, tickets to games?
I went in 2005. Great experience. The gym is small. The worst seats are better than you'll probably get at any big arena. Get in line early and you'll be sitting behind the bench. Hopefully it moves back to Maui next year after the fires this year.

It won't be cheap. Tickets are reasonable but the cost of everything else in Hawaii is expensive. If you can get a place with your own kitchen, you can make it more reasonable. Even then, supermarket supplies are more than you will expect.

Reaction Score
I went in 2005. Great experience. The gym is small. The worst seats are better than you'll probably get at any big arena. Get in line early and you'll be sitting behind the bench. Hopefully it moves back to Maui next year after the fires this year.

It won't be cheap. Tickets are reasonable but the cost of everything else in Hawaii is expensive. If you can get a place with your own kitchen, you can make it more reasonable. Even then, supermarket supplies are more than you will expect.
Went in 2016, hoping to go next year if it is moved back to Maui. Food is very pricey.

Reaction Score
I went in 2005, 2010, and 2016. It has certainly changed over the years - especially between 2005 and 2010 where they made most of the Lahaina civic center parking lot a fair of sorts with souvenirs and food stands. They also have added tier seating to the individual team sections where the seats behind the bench are packaged separately from the general team section seating.

Travel packages usually go on sale in January for the individual schools that include lodging and tickets to the games for your team. The lodging is at the Ka'anapali Resort - each team has a designated hotel. There are special events like a dinner with the team that includes a speech from the coach. Any game tickets not sold in the travel package (many schools sell out, but uconn has not in the past) are made available in August with a purchase limit of 4 tickets to each of the 3 games. I think the price for the 3 game ticket has approached $1000. Finally, if tickets are still available, they can be bought at the civic center box office on game day or the day before.

Special notes for the 2024 Maui Invitational - of course the wildfires have devastated the town of Lahaina. The downtown shop area is gone. It was a wonderful place to eat and visit shops. The Ka'anapali resort area has a lot of shops but a bit more touristy. I know the PGA tour event plans on taking place in January, which is a step back to normal for Maui. One other note: Chaminade has switched to participating every other year. So, next year, there is no Chaminade.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Who y’all got winning? Kansas is the obvious choice. Purdue is not a top 5 team. They are as overrated as Michigan state was.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Thank god we have Cam Spencer and not
IMG_0459.jpeg

Reaction Score
Dickinson is turning into a world class flopper. Refs playing along.

Reaction Score
Gotta get up early tomorrow - wish I could stay up & watch this KU-Marquette game. Terrific matchup.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
I’m picking Marquette to win this tournament and I’ll take Shaka over Self by Knockout.

Reaction Score
ADDED BONUS FEATURE to this year's Maui Invitational:

Syracuse getting spanked night after night like the red-headed stepchild that they have become!

17-point loss to Tennessee
19-point loss to Gonzaga

Ya think they can give Chaminade a game??? :D

Absolutely glorious!!!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Let’s thank our lucky stars Timberlake did not come here. He looks like a non factor type of player. Kansas getting rolled.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Dickinson spends more time on the ground than on his feet. Kansas embarrassing themselves.

Reaction Score
Remember when Timberlake chose KU over UConn? He doesn't look comfortable in their system yet. Poor shooting , and Self doesn't appear to trust him. Wish him well.

Give me the consolation prize (Cam Spencer) every time.

Reaction Score
Maybe the best part of going to Maui for the games is that you don't have to listen to Bill Walton on TV.
I introduced myself to Bill at half time in 2016. His sunglasses were off and his eyes were bloodshot - obviously as stoned as he sounds. Met Bill Raftery in 2005 and he was very personable. Bill did not say a word but shook my hand.

Oh, and we still had to listen to Bill on the TV when we were watching other team's games back at the condo/hotel. I suppose those that buy the full tournament package do not, but I don't want to spend 3 consecutive days in a gym all day in Maui. Tix are also quite expensive for the all-tournament option.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom