OT: - Mattress Topper | The Boneyard

OT: Mattress Topper

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I guess that's what they're called. I bought a new mattress last years to replaced one that I had for 40 years (yeah, I'm kind of cheap).

The mattress I bought is better, but it's too firm. I've been searching Amazon for mattress toppers, but I don't know one from the other, and I'm always suspicious of the reviews. I usually go to consumerreports.com, but they have no reviews.

So... Has anyone here bought a mattress pad/topper in the past few years that they'd recommend?

Reaction Score
Always try Costco for that sort of thing. They'll have decent ones for a good price.

The big issues are thickness and off gassing. You'll want it thicker for comfort but thinner so that your sheets don't keep popping off. Most are 2"-4" thick, I'd try to live with one on the thinner side due to the sheet issues. We bought them, for our kids and they love them but they stunk of chemicals when we first opened them. I left them in the garage for two weeks before using them. So, if you buy on Amazon, thickness and toxic smell are two things to note in reviews.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Just one caveat about mattress pads, or pillow top mattresses. We ended up with divots from sleeping in the same spot that got more pronounced as time went on. You can avoid that by washing the mattress pad and rotating it 180 degrees fairly frequently.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I have combat the firmness issue with feather bed tops
But as Hoopb mentioned the thickness issue comes in and had to buy the deep pocket sheets - with the featherbed you have to fluff and rotate occasionally
I too replaced a 43 yo mattress (only one we've had on the bed!) last year- put me in the cheapo category - but only on the mattress

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I guess that's what they're called. I bought a new mattress last years to replaced one that I had for 40 years (yeah, I'm kind of cheap).

The mattress I bought is better, but it's too firm. I've been searching Amazon for mattress toppers, but I don't know one from the other, and I'm always suspicious of the reviews. I usually go to consumerreports.com, but they have no reviews.

So... Has anyone here bought a mattress pad/topper in the past few years that they'd recommend?

We bought a latex/foam one. Mostly we take it to Cape Cod when we rent a house. You can find them at Target or Costco, or BJs, whatever. Since the bed is firm, just look for one that is fairly thick (3" maybe) and soft. You will likely need the deep pocket sheets as @gtcam says.

Reaction Score
You definitely need deep pocket sheets, but from my experience with a 4" topper, the sheets still aren't deep enough to stay on reliably. This is particularly annoying if you are a restless sleeper and tend to have trouble keeping your sheets in place.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Get a chillipad it cost as much as a mattress but my roommate swears by it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Buy a MyPillowTop. Get a second free.

Reaction Score
IKEA has a few options; some not good, but at least 1 excellent option which worked well enough over several years time we bought the same in the US.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom