Matthews Decommits | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Matthews Decommits

Reaction Score
Mo Harkless is one. He ended up getting drafted 15 overall after his freshman season with St. John's.

Didn't he renege on his commitment after UConn recruited another small forward/shooting guard?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He supposedly transferred because he wanted to be guaranteed he'd play small forward where he could hone his shooting skills for the NBA. Apparently wasn't guaranteed at UConn so he took the promise Dave Rice made him at UNLV......where he ended up playing power forward and putting up monster rebounding numbers.

Shooting not so great, but he sure had clock management down pat.
The irony is that the NBA doesn't want guys like Roscoe to play the 3 anymore, they want him to play the 4 and spread the floor.

Reaction Score
Prospects like Matthews will get you a chance to spin the wheel. There's value in that. But if you're looking for someone to resurrect the program, he doesn't move the needle. Nobody in the class does. That's why Ollie was fired. If we end up with worse players long-term, go ahead and press the panic button. Until then this is just the usual game of musical chairs. (And I say this as a purist who would have been OK with signing Ollie to a lifetime contract and has chosen to view Hurley as a step-father)

Reaction Score
Question . Out of all the decommits and transfers out we've had over the years , does it ever work out better for those kids. I can't recall any scenario in which things worked out "better" for kids. I don't recall any championship won or kids going pro.

Maurice Harkless

Also Sam Cassell Jr. and Prince Ali did or are doing fine.

Reaction Score
Question . Out of all the decommits and transfers out we've had over the years , does it ever work out better for those kids. I can't recall any scenario in which things worked out "better" for kids. I don't recall any championship won or kids going pro.

Jamaal trice did well at app state. Lol

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Marcus Johnson averaged about 9.5 pts a
Game his last year at USC. I guess the best move was Curtis Kelly so far. I remember actually watching a few KSU games only because he was playing. The overall " leaving
UConn" master has to be T-Sam. He left ,after a championship, for two different schools and then played against us at Gampel.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This board, well i guess not just this board, tends to overreact. To paint a sky is falling type picture because Matthews asked for his release is almost exhausting. Move on, its really not that big of a deal and will have little to no impact moving forward.
Let me get this straight. Some other guy is making a big deal about Mathews. And you believe Mathew’s release is not a big deal so that guy should move on.

But it’s a big deal what some anonymous poster thinks so we shouldn’t move on until that poster chills or agrees with us. Is this the correct priority?

Reaction Score
Up till last couple weeks UC had the highest ranked recruiting class in the AAC...now they have none.

Reaction Score
Up till last couple weeks UC had the highest ranked recruiting class in the AAC...now they have none.
Do u mean UConn? Are we really going to get hung up on losing / de-offering 3 recruits all (or nearly) over #100? They weren't DH recruits & it's his team now so let see what he does with the schollies the next 2 years.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I know this is probably just the irrational, emotional part of my brain talking here, but I kinduv think that the hiring of Dan Hurley brought us back to an elite level.
correct about the 1st part
He brings a plan and most think it will work and we all hope it does. Elite comes with results, period. And we aren't talking URI or Wagner.
Win the conference at least 3 times in next 5 years, NCAAs 4 out of 5 and reach the final four at least once and we can talk success in various degrees.
Elite? a national championship only achieves that level.

Reaction Score
Prospects like Matthews will get you a chance to spin the wheel. There's value in that. But if you're looking for someone to resurrect the program, he doesn't move the needle. Nobody in the class does. That's why Ollie was fired. If we end up with worse players long-term, go ahead and press the panic button. Until then this is just the usual game of musical chairs. (And I say this as a purist who would have been OK with signing Ollie to a lifetime contract and has chosen to view Hurley as a step-father)

No, Ollie was fired for cause.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom