Matthew Wood to the Portal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matthew Wood to the Portal

Reaction Score
This is 100% a disaster. You have NHL talent leaving. That means they aren't making these decisions without the NHL team having some sort of involvement. Which means NHL teams do not think our program is capable of developing players to their standards anymore. Which thus hurts our ability to attract NHL talent.

To talk bad about the kids on their way out the door when the coaching staff has failed them is frankly appalling. You are entitled to your opinion, but to make excuses to justify keeping Cav (which I assume is what you prefer) is wild to me.

Cav has to go. Plain and simple. He's done a great job building the program, but he has hit his ceiling. If we don't act soon, we'll miss the window of taking the program to the next level. This reminds me when football fumbled the hiring of PP after Edsall left. If we hit a home run in that hire, who knows where that program would be. The time is NOW to upgrade the head coach of the hockey team.

All three are draft picks. This roster desertion might not even be over. We’re in purgatory until Cav’s contract expires - two seasons unless he has some trick up his sleeve, but after 12 seasons of mostly mediocrity, this prospect is unlikely.

Reaction Score
He needs to be on a line with players who can get him the puck. IMO his linemate's at UConn were too fast for him. Mat struggled to keep up at times.

Linemates that were too fast for him??? Is this serious? Do you even watch hockey? There’s no such thing. He didn’t find chemistry with linemates, but it has zero to do with their speed being too great.

Reaction Score
We’re in purgatory until Cav’s contract expires - two seasons unless he has some trick up his sleeve,
Mike Cavanaugh’s contract runs through the 2027-2028 season.

Reaction Score
Basketball and hockey have very different paths for “turnaround” success. A basketball team will be effective with a seven or eight man rotation. You need to bring in only two or three high quality players each year. Hockey requires a minimum of three good lines ( a fourth is valuable) and a minimum of two defensive shifts (preferably three). That’s at least 13 quality players, likely 15-18. You can’t compete bringing in two or three studs a years like in basketball.

Reaction Score
This is 100% a disaster. You have NHL talent leaving. That means they aren't making these decisions without the NHL team having some sort of involvement. Which means NHL teams do not think our program is capable of developing players to their standards anymore. Which thus hurts our ability to attract NHL talent.

To talk bad about the kids on their way out the door when the coaching staff has failed them is frankly appalling. You are entitled to your opinion, but to make excuses to justify keeping Cav (which I assume is what you prefer) is wild to me.

Cav has to go. Plain and simple. He's done a great job building the program, but he has hit his ceiling. If we don't act soon, we'll miss the window of taking the program to the next level. This reminds me when football fumbled the hiring of PP after Edsall left. If we hit a home run in that hire, who knows where that program would be. The time is NOW to upgrade the head coach of the hockey team.
What possessed Barry Trotz to take Wood 15th overall? Trotz is nobody's fool. Wood regressed this year and that's coaching pure and simple. If the coaching doesn't matter, why is UConn paying Cavanaugh near the top of D-1 hockey coaches? Go back read Blades' post yesterday. He nailed it.

Apologists for Cavanaugh have to get real. We are not being well served by him. Since he is destined to coach in 24-25, he has one last opportunity to shine. If mediocrity or worse prevails, he needs to be canned!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Wood played on the 4th line for Canada. Wood can shoot the puck but cannot "drive" a line. He needs to be on a line with players who can get him the puck. IMO his linemate's at UConn were too fast for him. Mat struggled to keep up at times. He really needs to improve his skating, especially his acceleration going from a stop to getting moving. A change of scenery will do him good in his development. B1G style of hockey might be more suited to his game.
Seriously? Now I’m just starting to think you are trolling us.

Reaction Score
Seriously? Now I’m just starting to think you are trolling us.
What part of my statements do you not agree with? He was on Canada's 4th line, his skating is not a strength, he cannot drive a line.
Counterpoint...............................................................................

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
What part of my statements do you not agree with? He was on Canada's 4th line, his skating is not a strength, he cannot drive a line.
Counterpoint...............................................................................
I’m not going to debate with someone who lives in a fantasy world.

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Yes, the hockey team will be fine. The sky is not falling. There will be UConn Hockey East games at Tuscany and the XL next year. It should be another fun year.
We went 15-19-2. We were shut out 7 times. It wasn’t just that other teams got better this year, we didn’t keep up. The buck stops somewhere and that’s usually in the head coaches office. You can’t keep trying to paint this season or the overall success of this program as anything but mediocre. It hurts me to say it, because I’ve spent a lot of time and money rooting for these guys. The sky has fallen. It was not fun watching them get shut out 6 times on home ice. It won’t be fun next year unless a miracle occurs. I hope for one, but they are pretty rare.
Plus it’s tough to debate facts.
No one here agrees with anything you say, but you say you have all the facts. That’s pretty delusional in my book.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We went 15-19-2. We were shut out 7 times. It wasn’t just that other teams got better this year, we didn’t keep up. The buck stops somewhere and that’s usually in the head coaches office. You can’t keep trying to paint this season or the overall success of this program as anything but mediocre. It hurts me to say it, because I’ve spent a lot of time and money rooting for these guys. The sky has fallen. It was not fun watching them get shut out 6 times on home ice. It won’t be fun next year unless a miracle occurs. I hope for one, but they are pretty rare.

No one here agrees with anything you say, but you say you have all the facts. That’s pretty delusional in my book.
But we agree on Matt Wood.

Reaction Score
But we agree on Matt Wood.
So he sucks because he’s not Wayne Gretzky. Wood actually was starting to turn a corner late in the season, last game was close against BU in a game we had no business being in only reason why was because of Matt Wood.

Reaction Score
Regarding CtBallfan, as I have noted before, we need to stop arguing with idiots. In any arguments with idiots, they will try to bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience... Best to treat them like a pimple on the ass of progress. They are a mild, but annoying irritant, that will go away if left alone.

Reaction Score
So he sucks because he’s not Wayne Gretzky. Wood actually was starting to turn a corner late in the season, last game was close against BU in a game we had no business being in only reason why was because of Matt Wood.
Who said Matt Wood sucks? I just think a change of scenery will be best for his development. He really can shoot the puck. He needs to work on his skating a lot. I hope he does really well we ever he goes. I think the B1G teams play a style that is more suited to his game. I wish him nothing but the best.

Reaction Score
Linemates that were too fast for him??? Is this serious? Do you even watch hockey? There’s no such thing. He didn’t find chemistry with linemates, but it has zero to do with their speed being too great.
Not sure about that. He was not a fast skater. I first noticed it at CT ICE last year. QU skated circles around him. It didn’t get better this year. He is big and a good stick handler but he not fast or quick. He needs to play a particular role. I always thought a Phil Esposito type role. Set up in front of the net and take passes and collect rebounds. Obviously more complicated than that but you get what i mean.

Reaction Score
Not sure about that. He was not a fast skater. I first noticed it at CT ICE last year. QU skated circles around him. It didn’t get better this year. He is big and a good stick handler but he not fast or quick. He needs to play a particular role. I always thought a Phil Esposito type role. Set up in front of the net and take passes and collect rebounds. Obviously more complicated than that but you get what i mean.
Bingo!! He was playing center so he needed to be able to play a 200 foot game. Unfortunately, his skating ability prevented him from being able to keep up with the play. Maybe he is like Tage Thompson when he was at UCoon and he hasn’t grown into his body yet. Only time will tell, but imo a change of scenery will be good for his development. He did his best at UConn and I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
Does the success of women's program put more heat on Cavs?

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
Who knows what motivates Cav? I sure don’t.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom