Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Alum as well. You mighty need to get IPTV.
I get SNY on an IPTV. (Nitro tv). $55 for 4 mos for a zillion channels. You need a Firestick or amazon fire tv/ smart tv. you need fast WiFi.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Bomba TV (also an IPTV provider), $25 a mont for a BAzillion channels- all sports platforms. Watched all UConn FB games via Bomba.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to get roughly a million dollars a game. SNY does not normally produce their own football games, they buy them from ESPN. If they have to produce the games there will be little left for UConn. Might be some form of revenue sharing after production costs. Or maybe UConn has to produce the games.
UConn athletics are very important for SNY’s presence in CT. Revenue that they get in CT is incremental revenue, in other words, the loss of subscribers in CT would result in a profit loss almost equal to the revenue loss as their expenses would only be minimally reduced by the loss of CT subscribers. Thus, the math for what you would pay for UConn content to keep your CT subscribers is more favorable to UConn than you might think.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn is not going to get roughly a million dollars a game. SNY does not normally produce their own football games, they buy them from ESPN. If they have to produce the games there will be little left for UConn. Might be some form of revenue sharing after production costs. Or maybe UConn has to produce the games.

Agree on the dollar amount being off, but I think SNY does produce the games, as they get SNY specific graphics/announcers. Think we only actually played on SNY one time the past two years.

Reaction Score
College football is the sport of choice in both the South and Midwest.

However, once the calendar turns to winter, the vast majority of bowls are in the south. The playoff is typically in the south. So many of the post season traditions are local traditions in southern communities. The ties are long and deep.

While some northern bowls now exist, there are no indoor facilities in Boston, NY, Philly, Pittsburgh or other northeastern cities. None of the meaningful college post season takes place in north of the Mason Dixon line.

Reaction Score
College football is the sport of choice in both the South and Midwest.

However, once the calendar turns to winter, the vast majority of bowls are in the south. The playoff is typically in the south. So many of the post season traditions are local traditions in southern communities. The ties are long and deep.

While some northern bowls now exist, there are no indoor facilities in Boston, NY, Philly, Pittsburgh or other northeastern cities. None of the meaningful college post season takes place in north of the Mason Dixon line.
Maybe Syracuse should let some FBS colleges play in the Carrier Dome for post-season bowl game.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I can't disagree more. College football started in the North East(Rutgers claims the very first college football game). Ask Michigan, Ohio St and Notre Dame if college football is a game of the South. What is Yale and Harvard's biggest game of the year? It sure is not basketball. And the last time I looked neither Army or Navy were located in the South.
College football is strongest in the South, just like Major League Baseball is strongest in the North.

America has become more homogenized over the last 100 years, but there are still regional differences.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Yes. It’s flowing the way we would want ... without the wickedness some football Fanbase opined.

“Thanks to a bevy of local opponents, a potentially growing number of fellow independents, and plenty of teams looking for a bodybag game, finding games to play wasn’t too bad.”

UMASS has to get better; but they are far more important than a Middle Tennessee or something other from CUSA. Army. Then Virginia & Mississippi.

College football is a Game of the South. No place else hyped up their University experiences & the STATE culture like we have seem ... and will grow in the future. UConn had to work hard to grind through a northeastern regional Brand. And both the SNY tie & the DB schedule makes steps towards that. The Death of The Program pronouncements were premature.

There will be more independents & that simple numbers game makes our spot as an Independent better. Like? James Madison. I see us playing Yale again as the Ivy Football has risen.
Uconn would not be playing Yale or any other Ivy League school because those teams do not give out athletic scholarships. Therefore a win would not be counted toward number of wins needed to be bowl eligible.

Reaction Score
2022 BCS Championship > Indy

Potentially, Minneapolis or Detroit sometime down the road ? ? ?

Reaction Score

Of the 12 highest watched games in 2019, 6 of them had at least one "non-south" team (counting OK as non-south).

Reaction Score

Of the 12 highest watched games in 2019, 6 of them had at least one "non-south" team (counting OK as non-south).

LMAO - Talk about molding stats.

Of the 12 highest watched games in 2019, 10 of them involved the SEC or a southern school (OU/Tex/Baylor).

70%, or 17/24 of those teams in those games are from the south.

Oklahoma is in the South

Why would anyone pretend like college football isn't more popular in the south than literally everywhere else in the world?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Perhaps balancing history and extensive experience in different regions, I see 4 of the 12 listed games involve non-Southern schools. Yup, Oklahoma which only became a state in the 20th century being a south central Plains state. And, the Lone Star State plain and simply being the Republic of Texas. A border state abutting Mexico, but decidedly independent and its' own region. Like beauty, regional perspectives lie in the eyes and experiences of the beholders.

Reaction Score
ND played somebody in England. thought it was BC. And it was well televised and definitely not in the South.
A few years ago they played BC in Ireland. I don’t remember a game in England

Reaction Score
A few years ago they played BC in Ireland. I don’t remember a game in England

ND played Navy in Dublin in 2012.

Those two teams play there again to open the season next year.

Reaction Score
LMAO - Talk about molding stats.

Of the 12 highest watched games in 2019, 10 of them involved the SEC or a southern school (OU/Tex/Baylor).

70%, or 17/24 of those teams in those games are from the south.

Oklahoma is in the South

Why would anyone pretend like college football isn't more popular in the south than literally everywhere else in the world?
I think you counted wrong - Ohio State played in 3 of those games against big ten teams. And whatever that link says, people in OK do not consider themselves "south". OK was not a state and was part of Indian Territory during the civil war. In an odd historic twist, the Indian residents in what now is OK "favored" the confederency because they thought state rights would allow them to live more independently, and the native Americans had slaves. But if support for the confederency is the measuring stick, then buly that logic KY is not "south" since it never seceded. But I digress.

Of course college football support is higher in the south than new england, but it is rabidly supported in the midwest and plains. I could post the attendance figures for the big ten, ND, etc but I doubt it would change your perception.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom