Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Matt Brown: UConn Expected To Reach TV Deal With SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can pick up SNY on YouTube TV. I don't know if YouTube TV is regional or not but that could be one avenue.
I'm pretty sure it is. I know it only offers NESN within its footprint.

Reaction Score
so....if this happens...what does that mean for out of state fans? There is no option for SNY on Time Warner Spectrum in California. Will there be a streaming option?

I know we don't have all the answers yet, but the author in the article seems to think signing on with SNY would make UConn available to all fans. Not sure that is true.

Hulu has SNY. Don't know if that is just in this area.

Reaction Score
Are fans complaining that UConn, one of the worst programs in the country and an independent that draws about 15k a game, is going to be picked up on a cable channel in the biggest media market in the country? Just checking.

Don't I need to know the revenue to know how good a thing this is? Yes, I'm glad our home games will be on SNY, but how much of the lost AAC revenue will this get us?

Reaction Score
I can pick up SNY on YouTube TV. I don't know if YouTube TV is regional or not but that could be one avenue.
I can get YouTube tv where I am, but no SNY.

Reaction Score
How many non southern schools have won a national championship in the last 20 years?
What does that have to do with anything? Does the last twenty years mean that the Army/Navy games are any less meaningful because Clemson, Bama and Fla St have won their fair share of national titles? Does it make the Yale/Harvard game any less meaningful to those two fan bases? And Notre Dame. I dare say they play more games above the Mason Dixon then below it. Do those games(I'm thinking the BC/ND game in England) any less meaningful because the SEC has been dominate lately? Or the Back Yard Brawl or whatever that Pitt/WVU game is?

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I can get YouTube tv where I am, but no SNY.
We have had this discussion on here before and according to posters, SNY is regional even with streaming services.

Out of market would have to be ESPN3 or something like that. I guess we will have to wait. It would be hard to believe they won't have an out of market solution.

Reaction Score
I'd be pleasantly surprised but also shocked if it's on ESPN3. They are trying to get rid of that. I think ESPN+ is much more likely.

Reaction Score
Don't I need to know the revenue to know how good a thing this is? Yes, I'm glad our home games will be on SNY, but how much of the lost AAC revenue will this get us?

I can link the spreadsheet again, but it's more complex than that:
  • The AAC TV deal is IIRC $7 million/year on average (backloaded)
  • But that doesn't consider schools having to cover production costs for events on ESPN, this will get expensive and the PAC-12 has been dealing with this issue but they make considerable more money
  • The deal for football does need to be $5 or 6 or $7 million alone since the FOX deal for basketball is already $5 million a year
  • Then add in more money from NCAA Tourney credits since Big East >>> AAC, decreased cost of travel for olympic sports, more opportunities for buy games in FB, better opponents on campus for increased attendance in FB/MBB and you can see how this can really benefit the AD monetarily.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
We need to remember as much as we want to be a power in football and how we want to be in the P5, it is not happening and most likely will never happen. ACC, B1G and SEC power grabs have been a failure for the teams that changed divisions. No one wants these teams in their conference. It has and never will feel right to conference purists. So our aim has to achieve what we want college football to mean to us. If that means great rivalries with area teams and then get to play some of the big boys so be it. We won't be invited to the party. Leaving the AAC was a hard decision but it was the right one for all sports long term. Don't be surprised to see other teams leaving for independence if UConn is able to make it work though we may have the most unique situation of everyone.

Plus in the end, I believe the money we make from any linear and pay option + Big East money will make the AAC deal look bad.

Reaction Score
I can link the spreadsheet again, but it's more complex than that:
  • The AAC TV deal is IIRC $7 million/year on average (backloaded)
  • But that doesn't consider schools having to cover production costs for events on ESPN, this will get expensive and the PAC-12 has been dealing with this issue but they make considerable more money
  • The deal for football does need to be $5 or 6 or $7 million alone since the FOX deal for basketball is already $5 million a year
  • Then add in more money from NCAA Tourney credits since Big East >>> AAC, decreased cost of travel for olympic sports, more opportunities for buy games in FB, better opponents on campus for increased attendance in FB/MBB and you can see how this can really benefit the AD monetarily.

I wasn't looking to replace the AAC net. I'm just curious whether we will be paid an absolutely trivial amount -- akin to giving the rights away for exposure -- or something meaningful.

Reaction Score
I wasn't looking to replace the AAC net. I'm just curious whether we will be paid an absolutely trivial amount -- akin to giving the rights away for exposure -- or something meaningful.

That's a good question. If this was a time buy that would be bad in terms of financials and optics. Hopefully they get a good chunk of cash and cover the cost of production. That'd be great.

Reaction Score
I was hoping Fox would get involved here. Benedict has talked about doing a "triple header" in NYC with a FB brand that would never come to East Hartford, involving FB, and men's and women's basketball. With Fox owning our basketball rights, that would seem like a logical fit to stage big event like that. I suppose they can keep the rights to one FB game away from SNY and go about it that way.

Reaction Score

UConn is not going to get roughly a million dollars a game. SNY does not normally produce their own football games, they buy them from ESPN. If they have to produce the games there will be little left for UConn. Might be some form of revenue sharing after production costs. Or maybe UConn has to produce the games.

Reaction Score
What does that have to do with anything? Does the last twenty years mean that the Army/Navy games are any less meaningful because Clemson, Bama and Fla St have won their fair share of national titles? Does it make the Yale/Harvard game any less meaningful to those two fan bases? And Notre Dame. I dare say they play more games above the Mason Dixon then below it. Do those games(I'm thinking the BC/ND game in England) any less meaningful because the SEC has been dominate lately? Or the Back Yard Brawl or whatever that Pitt/WVU game is?
Yes it actually does. Yale vs. Harvard isn't what it use to be. Students showed up just to protest climate change. How many show up for other games besides that one?

Reaction Score
Well done...

1576014074426.gif

Reaction Score
It could be worse. You could have been a season ticket holder and actually went to the games.
I was a season ticket holder until this year when I moved to California. I'm also alum that gets asked to donate after I donated 80k in tuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom