Matt Brown: Big East may not renew with Fox | The Boneyard

Matt Brown: Big East may not renew with Fox

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Starts around 32 minutes in. Mentions that FOX may buy some Pac-12 hoops as well.

Reaction Score
Bring on HBO. with a hard knocks big east off season series. NIL deal and hard knock placement goes to the winner of the regular season each year as extra incentive for the players?

It do round robin coverage and all the top players or storylines are covered each off season. Gives extra coverage and a reaching m recruiting boost to all the top teams in the big east.

Reaction Score
I’d be interested in a turner package with TBS/TNT/HBO.

But IMO I think the Big East is going to end up with ESPN. The linear package only deals are a thing of the past. It’s inevitable that these games are going to end up on a service like ESPN plus which is sad.

In a perfect world it would be great to have a FOX/ESPN split deal.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Bring on HBO. with a hard knocks big east off season series. NIL deal and hard knock placement goes to the winner of the regular season each year as extra incentive for the players?

It do round robin coverage and all the top players or storylines are covered each off season. Gives extra coverage and a reaching m recruiting boost to all the top teams in the big east.
I would watch the crap out of a Big East Hard Knocks. Not sure the coaches would be thrilled, so make the last place team do it as incentive to avoid the bottom, and earn their share of revenue.

Reaction Score
HBO though is slated to become a Discovery type channel in the next year or so. They are just now winding down their previous contracts.

Reaction Score
i am just not a fan of espn these days. I loved working there, but I don’t find them committed to college hoops like Fox is journalistically.

They like duke, Carolina, Kentucky, Michigan state and Kansas; everything else doesn’t “rate.”

Fox has so much better content surrounding the games. If you follow a big east team, you don’t want an acc feature at the half.

ESPN is getting out of the journalism business.

Reaction Score
I’d be interested in a turner package with TBS/TNT/HBO.

But IMO I think the Big East is going to end up with ESPN. The linear package only deals are a thing of the past. It’s inevitable that these games are going to end up on a service like ESPN plus which is sad.

In a perfect world it would be great to have a FOX/ESPN split deal.
Not going to happen.

Reaction Score
ESPN is losing a lot of Big 10 basketball games to FOX with the new deal. I expect ESPN to bid back for the BIG EAST rights to replace those games. And the BIG EAST will be back on BIG MONDAY where it belongs.

Reaction Score
HBO though is slated to become a Discovery type channel in the next year or so. They are just now winding down their previous contracts.
What do you mean calling it a discovery type channel?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Games on anything but Fox or ESPN would be a dumpster fire.

It took Fox ages to get Big East games to where the ratings were decent - going to a streaming service is going to land those games back in the five-figure viewership range again.

Reaction Score
Aren’t Fox and ESPN both owned by the same company though (Disney)?
No.
“Fox Sports, also referred to as Fox Sports Media Group and stylized in all caps as FOX Sports, is the sports programming division of the Fox Corporation that is responsible for sports broadcasts carried by the Fox broadcast network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, and the Fox Sports Radio network.”

Reaction Score
No.
“Fox Sports, also referred to as Fox Sports Media Group and stylized in all caps as FOX Sports, is the sports programming division of the Fox Corporation that is responsible for sports broadcasts carried by the Fox broadcast network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, and the Fox Sports Radio network.”
Oh gotcha, and fox corp is the remainders of Fox after the Disney acquisition. I always wondered why ESPN and Fox would be bidding against themselves (that explains it, they weren’t lol)

Reaction Score
Also I do think another couple names to watch should be Apple TV and Amazon. Both haven’t been shy about getting into the pro sports markets. They don’t exactly have the infrastructure yet to support every game, but perhaps they could strike an agreement with someone that does.

Reaction Score
If the Big East ends up getting a deal with ESPN, does that mean we bring SNY back into the fold? There is zero chance ESPN would air a game vs the likes of Delaware St or LIU on their family of networks. Hopefully UConn could negotiate an SNY deal for those games instead of ESPN sending them to ESPN+

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If the Big East ends up getting a deal with ESPN, does that mean we bring SNY back into the fold? There is zero chance ESPN would air a game vs the likes of Delaware St or LIU on their family of networks. Hopefully UConn could negotiate an SNY deal for those games instead of ESPN sending them to ESPN+

Games like LIU would end up at worst on Watch ESPN. And you can launch that from any mobile device or smart TV and watch it just like it was on cable or a steaming device.

I'd be very ticked off if BE negotiates with Disney and there are any games on ESPN+.

I've become a big fan of what Fox does for college basketball and their whole set up from studio to announcers to promos.

Not a fan of going back to ESPN and if the BE does go back expect to settle in to many more out of conference games against the other primary conferences- SEC and ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom