Matee Ajavon Wants Rutgers Back Among Contenders | The Boneyard

Matee Ajavon Wants Rutgers Back Among Contenders

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Good article. Still some possibility C Viv may get a contract extension. Informative article.

Matee Ajavon: Sense of tradition missing from Rutgers women's basketball

"Coach Stringer is still the great coach she has been," Ajavon said. "But it takes us. It takes the core of me, Essence, Kia, Piph, Cappie coming back and showing them how it's supposed to be done and the attitude you are supposed to play with. The hate you are supposed to have for losing."

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think she wants the right thing. The Rutgers program has went down only six wins last year. What happened? Is it coaching , recruiting or what?

Reaction Score
Good article. Still some possibility C Viv may get a contract extension. Informative article.

Matee Ajavon: Sense of tradition missing from Rutgers women's basketball

"Coach Stringer is still the great coach she has been," Ajavon said. "But it takes us. It takes the core of me, Essence, Kia, Piph, Cappie coming back and showing them how it's supposed to be done and the attitude you are supposed to play with. The hate you are supposed to have for losing."

Ajavon --was one of the RU players I loved to dislike. She was that good. The kid was awesome. I like the attitude---give back to the Lady that gave to you. With support like this--RU and CVivian will be a force in their league. Good luck to them.
Thanks Rocky--inspiring piece.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
C Viv was one of those foe coaches I loved to not like and there were times when she acted unprofessionally. However, she has been a major player in developing the women's game and I hope she can hang in there long enough to get her 1000 wins. Program definitely needs an updraft though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think she wants the right thing. The Rutgers program has went down only six wins last year. What happened? Is it coaching , recruiting or what?
It a little bit of everything including bad luck-injuries. Two of Rutgers highest recruits ever Khadijah Rushdan #10 ESPN in 2007 (Maya was number 1) & Briyona Canty #6 ESPN in 2011 had injury plagued careers and did not make it to the WNBA. A few under the radar former Rutgers did manage to make it to WNBA and are sticking around Erica Wheeler #39 in 2009, Rachel Hollivay #9 in 2012 and Kahleah Copper#18 in 2012. Betnijah Laney #11 ESPN in 2011 got cut after a year with the Chicago Sky and Tyler Scaife #9 in 2013 sat out last season and will likely be a first round draft pick this year.
Unfortunately for Rutgers, Scaife in 2013 was the last high profile recruit to sign with Rutgers. I don't think they have signed a top 100 kid since & there aren't many top 100 kids in 2018 or '19 that are even expressing interest in Rutgers. I believe that Rutgers has only 1 tournament appearance in the last 4 years and were WNIT Champions in 2014. I just don't see how that lack of recruits and lack of tournament appearance justify an extension for C. Viv.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
It a little bit of everything including bad luck-injuries. Two of Rutgers highest recruits ever Khadijah Rushdan #10 ESPN in 2007 (Maya was number 1) & Briyona Canty #6 ESPN in 2011 had injury plagued careers and did not make it to the WNBA. A few under the radar former Rutgers did manage to make it to WNBA and are sticking around Erica Wheeler #39 in 2009, Rachel Hollivay #9 in 2012 and Kahleah Copper#18 in 2012. Betnijah Laney #11 ESPN in 2011 got cut after a year with the Chicago Sky and Tyler Scaife #9 in 2013 sat out last season and will likely be a first round draft pick this year.
Unfortunately for Rutgers, Scaife in 2013 was the last high profile recruit to sign with Rutgers. I don't think they have signed a top 100 kid since & there aren't many top 100 kids in 2018 or '19 that are even expressing interest in Rutgers. I believe that Rutgers has only 1 tournament appearance in the last 4 years and were WNIT Champions in 2014. I just don't see how that lack of recruits and lack of tournament appearance justify an extension for C. Viv.
Thanks. I remember the teams with Ajavon. They played tough with a edge.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Though she undoubtedly had a great career, I think CViv's time has come and gone. I'm not sure how desirable the RU gig is though, and who they could actually get. I love the RAC, and if there is a good RU team the place is incredibly loud, but it is old and tired. RUs facilities are really lacking for a high major. When the B1G money kicks in I'm sure they'll up grade but until then, I'm not sure RU has the tools in place to improve.

Reaction Score
I disliked Ajavon intensely. She was a trash talker extroidinaire and really, nasty stuff. She said some nasty things to a UConn player that started the whole Cappie, Geno thing.

Reaction Score

Funny thing is all the girls listed were Mcdonalds All Americans, so she hasn't been short on talent, I think it's coaching offense that has been C.Viv struggle.

Reaction Score
The C. viv era at RU needs to be over if they hope to be back to be a top 25 team. They should either ride her last year of the contract or agree on a one year extension with a clear hair apparent to be the coach after that one year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The C. viv era at RU needs to be over if they hope to be back to be a top 25 team. They should either ride her last year of the contract or agree on a one year extension with a clear hair apparent to be the coach after that one year.

No, no! Not the hair. "Not the hair" should be part of new coach's contract! ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I agree with CL82 & dtbtbtb. If Rutgers wants to get back among the elite, they need changes...
  1. Step 1 - hire a new coach - someone young, energetic, and with an excellent hoops mind who can recruit
  2. Step 2 - see Step 1

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Funny thing is all the girls listed were Mcdonalds All Americans, so she hasn't been short on talent, I think it's coaching offense that has been C.Viv struggle.
Are you saying the "Vaunted 55" wasn't enough?!!! :eek:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
They had no shortage of talent and CViv lived by/died by defense - which was good enough to beat 85-90% of most wcbb teams on a given night. RU offense was pure street ball, replete with attitude, mental mistakes, laziness and was never going to translate into a championship.

Reaction Score
They had no shortage of talent and CViv lived by/died by defense - which was good enough to beat 85-90% of most wcbb teams on a given night. RU offense was pure street ball, replete with attitude, mental mistakes, laziness and was never going to translate into a championship.
They did make it to a final (2008) against TN in a game that was one of the worst games to watch as the basketball was ugly on both sides...That team had few long future WNBA players on it

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with CL82 & dtbtbtb. If Rutgers wants to get back among the elite, they need changes...
  1. Step 1 - hire a new coach - someone young, energetic, and with an excellent hoops mind who can recruit
  2. Step 2 - see Step 1

One of the hardest things in life to do is to realize that your time in a particular era, time, place or assignment (job) is over. The basketball Gods have not smiled upon C.Viv and her program lately. The once mighty Rutger's women's basketball program has fallen from grace.

Unless Matee can get those former players she referenced (and others) to rally around the program, agree to assist in the recruitment and coaching of the current and future players in the program for an extended period of time, then she may have to come to the realization that as you suggest Eric, it's time for a change at the top.

Clean house, and start at the bottom with a new coach (and staff) that is eager to accept the challenge to return the program back to its glory days. IMHO, This program appears to be circling the drain at this time. Six wins last season is unacceptable.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
They did make it to a final (2008) against TN in a game that was one of the worst games to watch as the basketball was ugly on both sides...That team had few long future WNBA players on it
it was 2007. I remember I was a bit nervous before that game. Vaughn and Ajavon were to key layers for them . Parker had a good game. What helped Tennessee win other players hit shots. Also Tennessee defense was better in that game than the Rutgers defense.

Reaction Score
it was 2007. I remember I was a bit nervous before that game. Vaughn and Ajavon were to key layers for them . Parker had a good game. What helped Tennessee win other players hit shots. Also Tennessee defense was better in that game than the Rutgers defense.
You are correct. It was 2007 (the 2008 final was TN against Stanford). if I remember correctly the main reason TN won was Nicki A. who was a beast in that game...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are correct. It was 2007 (the 2008 final was TN against Stanford). if I remember correctly the main reason TN won was Nicki A. who was a beast in that game...

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Yes she grabbed 16 rebounds in the game. That helped Tennessee win. Rutgers who had played with a swagger going into the game. Seemed to lose that swagger in that game.

Reaction Score
I could not care less what she wants.

UConn fans that have been around a while will know why I have such a low opinion of her.
I'm with you there. Besides, what's she gonna tell recruits: "Come play for an over-the-hill old coach who won 6 games last year in a weak conference and won't make it til you graduate. Oh - and be sure to enjoy the crummy facilities!"

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Facilities are being improved. It will most likely be slow but construction is happening, I just saw on the RU board that most of the parking lots by the RAC will be unavailable due to the construction of athletic facilities.

They are only talking about CViv getting 1000 at RU, not as the long term future - at least that's what I really understand. Yes, the worse things look the harder it is to recruit and she is (IMO) definitely past her recruiting prime. I think things will be better than last. I don't think anyone would expect her to be around long enough to return the program to past glory, just respectability.

Ajavon was, IMO, an unpleasant player on the court. mostly due to trash-talking, and a bit of a ball hog. However, she had an excellent reputation for her behavior "off the court".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom