Massive college recruiting scandal - FBI arresting coaches after sting operation | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Massive college recruiting scandal - FBI arresting coaches after sting operation

Reaction Score
Probably, they will cripple Louisville basketball.....

If the football side just stays out of trouble...

Reaction Score
Looks like there are really 2 different schemes going on here.

One is the schools getting recruits through a shoe company's financial intercession.... and the player also potentially signing with a specific agent.

The second scheme - which seems to be the one that also involves the 4 assts that were arrested, is the asst coaches steering the kids to sign with specific agents after being bribed by the agents to do so.

Reaction Score
Fire Petino now, Louisville. Past time.

NCAA....Burn down some programs....

Stop the buying of wins...

And, you know this is probably the tip of the iceberg.

The feebs will be looking to turn some of these guys looking at prison time so they can indict the bigger targets up the ladder...

There will be dealing, coaches puckering. more programs being involved....

Reaction Score
Probably, they will cripple Louisville basketball.....

The feebs will be looking to turn some of these guys looking at prison time so they can indict the bigger targets up the ladder...

Quite a change in tune....

Reaction Score
Realistically, the next shoe to drop would be consideration of booting Louisville from the ACC but this is not a reasonable possibility if the scandal can reach other member schools besides Lville and Miami. Tough to take the moral high ground and kick one school out when the FBI might show up at the door at another member school. Anyway, is there a precedent for actually kicking a school out of a conference?

Reaction Score
Realistically, the next shoe to drop would be consideration of booting Louisville from the ACC but this is not a reasonable possibility if the scandal can reach other member schools besides Lville and Miami. Tough to take the moral high ground and kick one school out when the FBI might show up at the door at another member school. Anyway, is there a precedent for actually kicking a school out of a conference?

Temple was kicked out of the old Big East football.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Louisville is already on probation for major violations. That is one difference between Louisville and the rest of college basketball.

Louisville basically admitted to everything by firing Jurich and Pitino. Their best play may be to throw themselves on the NCAA's mercy.

I suspect that a death penalty may trigger removal from a conference. If it was Duke or UNC, I would expect the ACC to let it ride, but Louisville has never been part of the club. They were the last one in, and can be the first one out.

Reaction Score
They just dumped Jurich and Petino....threw them overboard to lighten the boat....

Reaction Score
There will never again be a death penalty...I do not think.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Are you misspelling pitino or Petrino in this post?

Reaction Score
Actually...Pitino didn't take it....the school used that money to fund his coaching salary. According to that article, Pitino got $1.5 million per year the last two years.

Probably the amount can be debated, but it ain't illegal....Urban Myer was getting $1.4 million from Nike until the new deal was signed...and now he gets more.

"While nothing in Nike's contract with Ohio State identifies Meyer in particular, the AP report indicates the university pays the coach $1.4 million each year "as part of the school's contract with Nike."

Harbaugh gets ...."Harbaugh will get a $500,000 annual base salary and $4.5 million annually as "additional compensation" for his TV, radio and other appearances and in "support of the university's shoe and apparel sponsorships."...And you can bet that is several million is shoe company money.

Reaction Score
So I think there is more than an optics issue here, though I am taking a few liberties in filling in the gaps of what I have read:
Louisville signs contract with Adidas that includes a clause that Adidas can renegotiate if Louisville stops being an Elite Adidas school (what are the conditions of being an elite Adidas school)
Louisville structures Pitino's compensation such that Adidas is paying him his salary ... essentially making him an employee of Adidas

So ... there is clearly a conflict of interest in the above, that was structured in a way so that it would not be plainly evident - and Louisville AD and apparently the President's office was clearly complicit in setting up this conflict of interest. How can anyone argue that the problem is with rogue actors here?

It is clear that this is why the Ville president was establishing in writing that the AD negotiated the deal without consulting with the University administration (and why Jurich's lawyer made a point to refute this in his response).

Reaction Score
Is Urban an employee of Nike?...is Harbaugh also an employee of an apparel company?

Both receive more coach's compensation from their apparel sponsor than did Pitino.

It seems to be the way many schools are doing business. When a coach is paid millions and the amount available from state funds is under $400,000, the money is structured to be paid to the coach in other ways.

Whether it is Saban, Urban, Harbaugh...or a new coach at Oregon...

"ESPN’s Darren Rovell reported on Saturday that Phil Knight, Nike’s founder and Oregon’s biggest booster, is willing to possibly throw $10 million/season at a new head football coach. Knight, 78, desperately wants to see his Ducks win a national championship."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is Urban an employee of Nike?...is Harbaugh also an employee of an apparel company?

Both receive more coach's compensation from their apparel sponsor than did Pitino.

It seems to be the way many schools are doing business. When a coach is paid millions and the amount available from state funds is under $400,000, the money is structured to be paid to the coach in other ways.

Whether it is Saban, Urban, Harbaugh...or a new coach at Oregon...

"ESPN’s Darren Rovell reported on Saturday that Phil Knight, Nike’s founder and Oregon’s biggest booster, is willing to possibly throw $10 million/season at a new head football coach. Knight, 78, desperately wants to see his Ducks win a national championship."
I see it a little differently. Louisville materially misrepresented their finances in applying to the ACC not just in the Adidas contract which was presented as $160M annuity, but also in the YUM Center deal, and in the athletic department revenues.

If the ACC wants it, it has a path to shedding itself of a severely diminished Louisville in way that that won't come back to bite it in the butt regarding UNC, Syacuse, Miami and, yes, FSU.

'Cheat away boys, but by god don't lie about your finances to us! '

Reaction Score
I see it a little differently. Louisville materially misrepresented their finances in applying to the ACC not just in the Adidas contract which was presented as $160M annuity, but also in the YUM Center deal, and in the athletic department revenues.

If the ACC wants it, it has a path to shedding itself of a severely diminished Louisville in way that that won't come back to bite it in the butt regarding UNC, Syacuse, Miami and, yes, FSU.

'Cheat away boys, but by god don't lie about your finances to us! '
If they don't throw them out (which I don't think is going to happen) I can see the ACC sending UL a nice message in the way of severe financial penalties for a few years...as in no shared tourney money, no tv money, no network money. There is also going to be a HUGE issue of what do you do with their games and the ACC network. If a match-up of U/Duke, UL/UNC, UL/Cuse can't be televised due to NCAA sanctions then there is going to be a issue with the ACC Network and content.

Reaction Score
If they don't throw them out (which I don't think is going to happen) I can see the ACC sending UL a nice message in the way of severe financial penalties for a few years...as in no shared tourney money, no tv money, no network money. There is also going to be a HUGE issue of what do you do with their games and the ACC network. If a match-up of U/Duke, UL/UNC, UL/Cuse can't be televised due to NCAA sanctions then there is going to be a issue with the ACC Network and content.
But why this may be different is that Louisville's assorted scandals over the last few years included one at the university president level, the university foundation level, athletics department, and now maybe financial. I would think the scandals at the university president level and the university foundation level are very big deals. How can the NCAA and the ACC ignore those high level scandals?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Can the ACC withhold money from FBIU?

Reaction Score
Can the ACC withhold money from FBIU?
B1G did from PSU, the B-12 did from Baylor...why can't the ACC not pay Louisville. It's probably much easier to tell them "you get nothing for X amount of years" than tell them "you are no longer part of the ACC".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom