Maryland With The #1 Recruiting Class In The Country | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Maryland With The #1 Recruiting Class In The Country

Reaction Score
Getting the number 1, unless it is a Maya, Griner, Stewie, or Wilson it doesn't matter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Getting the number 1, unless it is a Maya, Griner, Stewie, or Wilson it doesn't matter.
I'm not sure that's true if you are referring to players rather than classes. Kaleena was a 2-time All-American, 3-time NCAA champion, and former NCAA record-holder. Lou will be a 3-time All-American. Megan and Christyn have very high ceilings. UConn doesn't often get the #1 class, but we get premium talent consistently--and coach it up better than anyone else.

Bueckers and Fudd may well be in the class of Maya, Griner, et al.

Reaction Score

I have to agree. Tennessee (to name one) has had some highly ranked recruiting classes since Holly Warlick took over but the team hasn't done squat with them.

It isn't necessarily who you have that is the accomplishment it is what you accomplish with who you have that matters.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It is always a challenge to rate recruiting classes.

Duke: 58, 65, 81
Florida State: 27, 37, a 3-star

Is Florida State's class really worse than Duke's?

For @Fightin Choke , @vowelguy , @HuskyNan , @CocoHusky, @Dillon77 , and others with whom I communicate on this forum and in private messages, the following post will be repetitive. But for others, I will share it again.

ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are done by Dan Olson, of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR). Olson updates the CGBR rankings almost weekly, based on evaluations from tournaments he attends and players he sees. As an example, I tracked rankings for Duke commits Jaida Patrick and Jennifer Ezeh on CGBR over the summer, and their respective rankings changed at least five different times from June through September.

For the last 5 years, ESPN has published Olson's rankings 2-4 times per year (depending on the year). So the ESPN/Hoopgurlz player and class rankings are snapshot rankings, at different points in time (specifically, the date(s) of publication). As you know, CGBR is a subscription service with specific evaluations of several hundred players per class, whose rankings vary throughout the years.

In other words, the ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are based on what Dan Olson's rankings were, but they do not necessarily reflect current Dan Olson rankings for Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR).

Here are the current (as of November 14, 2018) Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR) rankings for the Duke and FSU commitments:

• #26 - River Baldwin (Florida State)
  • #36 - Sammie Puisis (Florida State)
  • #57 - Jaida Patrick (Duke)
  • #64 - Azana Baines (Duke)
  • #80 - Jennifer Ezeh (Duke)
  • #137 - London Clarkson (Florida State)
You will note that the rankings for two FSU and all three Duke commitments have gone up since ESPN/Hoopgurlz published the snapshot rankings from Dan Olson. Also, I have included the ranking for London Clarkson, whom ESPN/Hoopgurlz lists as a "three star" player.

Finally, Dan Olson does not use the star system (five stars, four stars, etc.) on the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR) website. He uses a rating system, where player ratings are based on a numeric value scale from 14-30 (with 30 being the maximum rating). Player ratings are continually updated during the players' development. The explanation of CGBR ratings is as follows:

• 26-30: High major player/junior college transfer making an impact for “Top 25” program
  • 21-25: High major to mid-major player/junior college transfer making an impact for a “Top 50” program
  • 17-20: Mid-major player/junior college transfer making impact in a “Top 150” program
  • 16: Marginal mid-major to low-major/junior college transfer making impact in a “Top 300” program
  • 15: Contributor to low-major/NCAA-II, NCAA-III, NAIA program

The ratings and number of players at each rating level vary by class. For example, for the HS Class of 2018, there were 49 players who had a rating of at least 21 with one player at 28, five players at 27, and one player at 26. For the HS Class of 2019, there were only 40 players with a rating of at least 21 and zero players at 28, but there were 12 players between 26 and 27 in the ratings.

In other words, per Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR), the Class of 2018 was a little deeper in terms of mid-major to high-major players than 2019, but in terms of elite high major players, the Class of 2019 is significantly deeper.

I hope this information is helpful to everyone!

Reaction Score
I agree that South Carolina has the number one class. But I would still prefer a class of Jones, Boston and Griffin (fingers crossed to offset the karma gods).

Reaction Score
The rankings have been re-evaluated with SC #1, MD #2 and USC jumping Michigan St for the 5th spot.

Reaction Score
Landing Boston is a must. I will consider the class a BUST if Geno does not land her.

Class a bust? w/o Boston and Jones there is no class. There's 1 recruit. It would be like just skipping a yr of recruiting. You have to believe UConn will get Boston and probably Jones. Otherwise, you woulda expected Geno to sign SOMEONE by now.

Reaction Score
And SC could solidify its #1 if Rickea Jackson picks them. She will announce tmow and is down to SC & Miss St.

Reaction Score
MSU never really has top recruiting classes yet Vic coaches them up. Back to back national championship games without a single McDonald's All American on the team.....has that ever been done before??

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
MSU never really has top recruiting classes yet Vic coaches them up. Back to back national championship games without a single McDonald's All American on the team.....has that ever been done before??
There are many other flavors of HS All American. Victoria Vivians was Parade AA & MaxPreps AA. McCowan was Parade AA and was on USA basketball U18 team.
Texas A&M 2010-11 Championship team did not have any McDonalds AA & of course Vic had a hand in that team also as Blair's assistant.

Reaction Score
There's lots of ways to "coach up" players. In fact, it's possible to coach up AA players. Consider what Geno did with Gabby, transforming her from a guard into an All American front count player.

Reaction Score
2019 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

“A Friday signature from Rickea Jackson propelled Mississippi State from No. 19 to No. 6 in the 2019 recruiting class rankings.

The No. 9 prospect is a two-time state champion and the reigning Gatorade player of the year in Michigan. She has an explosive offensive game and a work ethic that never takes a day off.”

If Haley Jones was to commit to Stanford, how much does their ranking increase? I’d say #2.

If UConn adds both Aliyah and Haley, what do they enter the rankings at?

If UConn only adds Aliyah?

Reaction Score
2019 Women's Basketball Class Rankings

“A Friday signature from Rickea Jackson propelled Mississippi State from No. 19 to No. 6 in the 2019 recruiting class rankings.

The No. 9 prospect is a two-time state champion and the reigning Gatorade player of the year in Michigan. She has an explosive offensive game and a work ethic that never takes a day off.”

If Haley Jones was to commit to Stanford, how much does their ranking increase? I’d say #2.

If UConn adds both Aliyah and Haley, what do they enter the rankings at?

If UConn only adds Aliyah?

If UConn adds both Boston and Jones, they go to #2 in the rankings, behind South Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom