Maryland With The #1 Recruiting Class In The Country | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland With The #1 Recruiting Class In The Country

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe Duke’s class fulfills it’s needs better? IMO, that should be the #1 criterion for deciding who has the best class, not some arbitrary ranking
I understand where you're coming from, Nan, but those arbitrary rankings that you cite are those of Dan Olson, and he is also the person who put his name to the recruiting class rankings. So to him, the rankings are excellent! And he does not mention "fit" when ranking classes, so I bet he ignores need.

Reaction Score
Without any shuffling the rankings, the only team I could see entering the top 20 after tomorrow would be Rutgers and UConn. Rutgers if they add Rickea Jackson. UConn if they add Jones and/or Boston. Oregon currently has two international 3*s, so I’m not sure if Haley Jones would propel them into the top-20, but it definitely seems possible, especially if the add the other Aussie.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah the methodology of the rankings is a bit hard to grasp. OSU seems to low to me.

Reaction Score
Gotta love Brenda Frese, she gets em in there then, well, do you think her, Karen Aston n Kim Mulkey discuss the fine art of doing less with more?

Reaction Score
Last Year UConn didn't crack the top 20 until CW (1) and Ono (5) committed. If I remember correctly, their commitments brought Uconn in at number 2 overall in the ESPN/Olson class ranking.

If UConn were to get both Haley (1) and Boston (3), they would probably jump to number 2 or 3. Imo it is not likely they get the number 1 ranking (although UConn should).

As a previous poster commented, the ranking favors quantity over quality. If UConn were to get both players, regardless of how Olson would rank Uconn, they would de facto have the best class of 2019, just like they did last year.

Reaction Score
It is always a challenge to rate recruiting classes. When evaluating a class, the reviewers ignore positional need, but of course the coaches cannot. But I don't expect the reviewers to include that level of detail in their analysis, nor should they. But I still believe that they value quantity over quality. Here are the recruiting classes based on Hoopgurlz rating, since that is the rating from their website:
  1. Maryland: 5, 18, 30, 49
  2. Ohio State: 6, 24, 39, 41
  3. Stanford: 15, 23, 50
  4. Michigan State: 57, 70, 84, 93, another 4 star
  5. South Carolina: 7, 13, a 3-star
  6. USC: 36, 40, 63, a 3-star (added Rogers #35, but she was not included in this analysis)
  7. NC State: 17, 32, two 3-stars
  8. Tennessee: 2, 46, a 3-star
  9. UCLA: 14, 22 two 3-stars
  10. Notre Dame: 4, 21
  11. Missouri: 8, 29, a 3-star
  12. Duke: 58, 65, 81
  13. Georgia: 28, 38, a 3-star
  14. Louisville: 12, 99, a 3-star
  15. Florida State: 27, 37, a 3-star
  16. Oregon State: 19, 42
  17. Penn State: 59, 61, two 3-stars
  18. Indiana: 52, 53, two 3-stars
  19. Miss. State: 88, 98, two 3-stars
  20. LSU: 26, 71
A couple of questions:

Are NC State's pair of 3-star recruits really that much better than UCLA's two 3-star recruits?

If Notre Dame recruited a student athlete that was rated 60th, would they vault ahead of Stanford into 3rd place?

Is Florida State's class really worse than Duke's?
How would a 1-3-33 class fit into that list? You can have all the 18-26-43-57 quantity glut you want. There's no substitute for #1. But if there was, #3 isn't a bad place to start.

Reaction Score
You gotta wonder why they publish a ranking of schools' classes when 1, 3, 9, and 10 haven't committed.

Especially when the bulk of the remaining people will be committing within 48 hours.

Reaction Score
My bi
when she protects the basketball it's practically impossible to take the ball from her off the dribble....she just out muscles any guard covering her.....not sure about her stamina at the collegiate level.....
My big question for her is communication. I've watched her play and she is great at 1 on 1 defense and 1 on 1 offense but the team aspect needs some work because she doesn't talk. She is the PG but you'll see her 4 teammates talking to each other and her 10 ft away from them doing her own thing. I wonder how that will work at the college level.

Reaction Score
You gotta wonder why they publish a ranking of schools' classes when 1, 3, 9, and 10 haven't committed.

it's an ongoing ranking..........they're not waiting around for the last few to start it

Reaction Score
My bi
My big question for her is communication. I've watched her play and she is great at 1 on 1 defense and 1 on 1 offense but the team aspect needs some work because she doesn't talk. She is the PG but you'll see her 4 teammates talking to each other and her 10 ft away from them doing her own thing. I wonder how that will work at the college level.

that's why Brenda gets paid the big bucks......................she'll either figure it out or she won't

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
In my view team, team rankings are also extremely problematic because, aside from a very limited number of extraordinary recruits each year (5? 10?), trying to compare and rank everyone else is, if not hopeless, extremely difficult and a very inexact science. Take two recruits with whom I'm quite familiar. Among those in Oregon's 2016 recruiting class, Sierra Campisano was ranked #14 by Hoopgurlz and Ruthy Hebard #40. Both are forwards. Campisano turned out to be a complete bust, with her playing time steadily going down during her two years in Eugene until she was one of the last, if not the last, players off the bench. Not surprisingly, she transferred last summer. Although Hebard has a good write-up, she had not faced any real competition in Alaska. As a result, she seriously considered red-shirting her freshman year. But she didn't (fortunately), and has been all Pac 12 as both a freshman and sophomore even though she still has a lot to learn.. And it's all too easy to find lots and lots of examples like this.

Reaction Score
It is always a challenge to rate recruiting classes. When evaluating a class, the reviewers ignore positional need, but of course the coaches cannot. But I don't expect the reviewers to include that level of detail in their analysis, nor should they. But I still believe that they value quantity over quality. Here are the recruiting classes based on Hoopgurlz rating, since that is the rating from their website:
  1. Maryland: 5, 18, 30, 49
  2. Ohio State: 6, 24, 39, 41
  3. Stanford: 15, 23, 50
  4. Michigan State: 57, 70, 84, 93, another 4 star - the other 4 star is ranked number 75
  5. South Carolina: 7, 13, a 3-star
  6. USC: 36, 40, 63, a 3-star (added Rogers #35, but she was not included in this analysis)
  7. NC State: 17, 32, two 3-stars
  8. Tennessee: 2, 46, a 3-star
  9. UCLA: 14, 22 two 3-stars
  10. Notre Dame: 4, 21
  11. Missouri: 8, 29, a 3-star
  12. Duke: 58, 65, 81
  13. Georgia: 28, 38, a 3-star
  14. Louisville: 12, 99, a 3-star
  15. Florida State: 27, 37, a 3-star
  16. Oregon State: 19, 42
  17. Penn State: 59, 61, two 3-stars
  18. Indiana: 52, 53, two 3-stars
  19. Miss. State: 88, 98, two 3-stars
  20. LSU: 26, 71
A couple of questions:

Are NC State's pair of 3-star recruits really that much better than UCLA's two 3-star recruits?

If Notre Dame recruited a student athlete that was rated 60th, would they vault ahead of Stanford into 3rd place?

Is Florida State's class really worse than Duke's?

Seeing Michigan State at number 4 is a big surprise, since they normally don't draw top 20 classes, let alone top 10 or top 5. Slight error in your ranking of its recruits...the 5th 4 star recruit is ranked number 75, which you left out in the player info.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Publicity to fill the void. It a perfect world of ESPN the number ! recruit in the country would be announcing on ESPN today.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
These lists always place too much emphasis on quantity rather than quality. Deep classes always lead to transfers/players leaving. I'd much rather land 1-2 top kids per year who aren't going to defect. A top 5 kid who blossoms into a 15-20 point scorer is usually worth more than 3 kids who are ranked 40-50 and become role players.

If you look at the last several championship teams, every roster was loaded with kids in the top 10-20 range. None boasted great depth, but the 5 they put on the floor were top notch players.

Reaction Score
It's still early. Remember Brenda, the night is young and full of terrors. And Slocum's.
At least we're not Texas. It must really stink to lose two top 4 players in the same class in 8 months. I'm still bummed about Lexie Brown and Slocum and that was 2013 and 2016 classes.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Owusu is surprisingly agile. She doesn't look like a player when standing around, but she's quite good.
The one thing that some people overlook about Owusu is her great defense. She plays Azzi Fudd better than any other player in the country. Paul VI would have won the first game against St. John's if Owusu didn't get hurt in the 4th quarter. She held Fudd in check up to that point.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The one thing that some people overlook about Owusu is her great defense. She plays Azzi Fudd better than any other player in the country. Paul VI would have won the first game against St. John's if Owusu didn't get hurt in the 4th quarter. She held Fudd in check up to that point.
Woa. woa .... Slow down the hype machine on Owusu, she a very good player not in Azzi' s league though. There is this things called the interwebs. Both players had good moments in the game and it was (Freshmen) Fudd playing against Junior (Owusu). Besides Owusu is not going to even see the floor next year, Taylor Mikesell will be running the point for Brenda for the foreseeable future.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Too bad Maryland won't play Notre Dame that often to see how they'd fare in the future :D

Last edited:

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Seeing Michigan State at number 4 is a big surprise, since they normally don't draw top 20 classes, let alone top 10 or top 5. Slight error in your ranking of its recruits...the 5th 4 star recruit is ranked number 75, which you left out in the player info.
Thanks for the correction. I have fixed it!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
In looking at this list and keeping in mind the news that Amihere will head to S. Carolina, it strikes me that Jeff Walz and Louisville scored their top 100 recruits early (Ramani Parker) and very early (Nyah Green). But since, the point guard from Tokyo (Narika Konno) and no one else....Have to think the commitment of Davenport to Rutgers must sting.

Here's a link to their current commitments:
Women's Basketball

Jenn...any thoughts/insights?

Reaction Score
Woa. woa .... Slow down the hype machine on Owusu, she a very good player not in Azzi' s league though. There is this things called the interwebs. Both players had good moments in the game and it was (Freshmen) Fudd playing against Junior (Owusu). Besides Owusu is not going to even see the floor next year, Taylor Mikesell will be running the point for Brenda for the foreseeable future.

Owusa is no where near Fudd's class. It's just the fact she plays her very well defensively.

Owusu and Mikesell will share the backcourt together when Owusu is ready. Both can play off the ball. Mikesell have been a pleasant surprise for the Terps thus far. Right now she is playing off the ball in the starting lineup next to Channise Lewis who had a brilliant 6-1 assist/turnover ratio for a team that committed 24 turnovers Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom