Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Maryland to Big10 Getting Some Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn doesn't protect the ACC from anything. It's not like VPI and FSU stay because UConn joined and it's not like UConn wouldn't join if they left.
Whaler, I love you man, I love your energy. To even try to explain this to anyone that doesn't get this, I love your energy. I mean it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler, I love you man, I love your energy. To even try to explain this to anyone that doesn't get this, I love your energy. I mean it.

Thanks? I guess I may have somewhat missed his point but still I still don't see any potential situation where the Big 10 checkmates the ACC using UConn as a pawn. The Big 10 is not worried about the ACC... they are better off if the ACC survives and the SEC doesn't further consolidate their power.

Reaction Score
Thanks? I guess I may have somewhat missed his point but still I still don't see any potential situation where the Big 10 checkmates the ACC using UConn as a pawn. The Big 10 is not worried about the ACC... they are better off if the ACC survives and the SEC doesn't further consolidate their power.

I never said the Big10 would use UConn as a pawn. The only way the Big10 takes UConn is if they want them. And as I said in my original post, that's unlikely. But if it happens, the ACC is up 'screek. That's precisely why the ACC invites them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're kidding right?

Not really. The liberal schools have a huge television contract and don't really need the conservative school. The Pac-12 already has Utah and based on BYU's contract they aren't worth nearly what the average Pac-12 school is getting paid. Why would Berkeley and Stanford let BYU into their sandbox?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I never said the Big10 would use UConn as a pawn. The only way the Big10 takes UConn is if they want them. And as I said in my original post, that's unlikely. But if it happens, the ACC is up ****'screek. That's precisely why the ACC invites them.

So you think the ACC will invite UConn because if the Big 10 gets UConn the ACC is screwed? I'm pretty sure based on the fact the ACC has ignored UConn to this point they aren't worried. I'm also pretty sure that the Big 10 has zero interest in UConn, so the sentiment seems pointless.

Reaction Score
Not really. The liberal schools have a huge television contract and don't really need the conservative school. The Pac-12 already has Utah and based on BYU's contract they aren't worth nearly what the average Pac-12 school is getting paid. Why would Berkeley and Stanford let BYU into their sandbox?
I meant kidding about Maddow and Limbaugh. Rush has a much larger audience and is worth a shyteload more money.

I agree about BYU, but your analogy is backwards

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I meant kidding about Maddow and Limbaugh. Rush has a much larger audience and is worth a shyteload more money.

I agree about BYU, but your analogy is backwards

Im just calling Cal Maddow and BYU Rush based on their political views. Yes, in the media in this case Rush has the bigger dollars.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There is a 0% chance Louisville gets an ACC invite - it's Big 12 or bust for them, just like it's ACC or bust for UConn.

This is from Wetzel's recent column (I hate the , but he's pretty connected):

Either the ACC stays at 14 for basketball and 13 for football for the time being, or they invite UConn to even out the number of football schools (in which case, they might invite a bball only like Georgetown as well).

It is absolutely obvious. We will have an ACC invite in 5 minutes or less from the announcement. First there are no other viable ACC programs. Second, the core ACC schools wanted us all along to help reclaim their basketball dominance. Third, UConn becomes more critical territorially with RU in the B1G. Cuse, plus UConn plus ND makes the ACC tops in NY. RU, plus PSU plus UConn tips the balance to the B1G.

Once the Big East collapses, GTown might get an invite as well, due to DC market lost from UMD. If this happens the western schools won't joint. It will dissolve.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
So you think the ACC will invite UConn because if the Big 10 gets UConn the ACC is screwed? I'm pretty sure based on the fact the ACC has ignored UConn to this point they aren't worried. I'm also pretty sure that the Big 10 has zero interest in UConn, so the sentiment seems pointless.

The ACC wasn't worried until Maryland left. Now it's worried. It should be.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Georgia tech was mentioned earlier in this thread (I've mentioned it too). Blaudschun seems to have sources that indicate the Big Ten looked at GT before but went for RU instead.

After adding Nebraska as a 12th member a few years ago, The Big Ten, in a long range plan, had pinpointed Maryland and Georgia Tech as possible future targets.

But the conference backed off of Tech because Atlanta was too firmly entrenched in SEC, and to a much lesser extent, ACC territory.

Maryland was ripe and so was New York, where Rutgers and Connecticut were flirting with any conference that expressed an interest.

During the past several months, Delany and the Big Ten sped up the process. They had meetings, they did studies and they checked with both Maryland and Rutgers. Both were interested.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The ACC wasn't worried until Maryland left. Now it's worried. It should be.

Can you say what they should be worried about? Just for the sake of clarity.

Reaction Score
Can you say what they should be worried about? Just for the sake of clarity.

Multiple teams leaving, thus leaving them with less than 12 and no viable candidates for expansion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Multiple teams leaving, thus leaving them with less than 12 and no viable candidates for expansion.

So a relative impossibility. If the ACC disappears into the ether it won't be because they didn't offer UConn fast enough. You can let go of that revenge fantasy.

Reaction Score
It's literal in the sense that the whole contiguous thing is written in their written down super duper official B1G bylaws. In that sense, it definitely isn't figurative.

Big Ten guy here. It is a complete myth that there's any type of contiguous state requirement for the Big Ten, whether literal or even conceptual. Jim Delany himself even denied the existence of this rule 3 years ago when the Big Ten did its initial expansion search.

Plus, there's an obvious way to look at it: if Texas wanted to join the Big Ten, the conference wouldn't care one bit about them not being contiguous. The rule doesn't exist.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Big Ten guy here. It is a complete myth that there's any type of contiguous state requirement for the Big Ten, whether literal or even conceptual. Jim Delany himself even denied the existence of this rule 3 years ago when the Big Ten did its initial expansion search.

Plus, there's an obvious way to look at it: if Texas wanted to join the Big Ten, the conference wouldn't care one bit about them not being contiguous. The rule doesn't exist.

Keep selling GTech to the Big 10. Let me know how it goes.

Reaction Score
The vote at ru is prolly something like this " holy , is this real, were going to the best paying conference in all sports.". Then someone says, "you know smu and San Diego State are joining the big east," then the whole room erupts into hysterical laughter.

Reaction Score
Why do think B1G wouldn't be interested GaTech?
too far away, southern school, not an alumni base for the b1g, heart of sec country, not a place the b1g can realistically make inroads, and they're not all that strong in either FB or BB to overcome those problems.

Reaction Score
Frank,

Thanks for the info. It seems that the contiguous thing is a part of the expansion strategy, but the Big 10 is only interested in deviating from it, if it is for a big fish like Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom