Maryland lands PA. guard | The Boneyard

Maryland lands PA. guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally strange article... (strange to me in case anyone objects lol). the recruit said she could hardly hear Frese on the phone when she told her the news... "“I couldn’t even understand what she was saying. She was screaming, and there were screams in the background from the assistant coach Tina Langley and the other freshmen...”

I get that they were excited I guess, and apparently this kid is quite athletic, but seriously?

Walker-Kimbrough said she also held offers from Duquesne, Villanova, Cincinnati, Xavier, St. Joseph’s, Dayton and Pittsburgh. Mumbray added that Michigan and Purdue also offered her a scholarship. She eventually narrowed the list down to just Maryland and Duquense.

so the only school that even sniffed the top 10, never mind the top 25, the past several years was Maryland who was after her. Purdue is a nice program that is coming back, but the rest are mid majors at best. Good programs but it's not like Maryland got her away from Duke, Stanford, UCONN and Baylor...

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Totally strange article... (strange to me in case anyone objects lol). so the only school that even sniffed the top 10, never mind the top 25, the past several years was Maryland who was after her. Purdue is a nice program that is coming back, but the rest are mid majors at best. Good programs but it's not like Maryland got her away from Duke, Stanford, UCONN and Baylor...

I had never heard of her either, so I searched on Hoopgurlz. It took a bit because neither article mentioned her year and she was listed as a wing, not a guard. She is presently a 3-star recruit, so either Brenda saw something most other top programs did not (possible), or Brenda is a bit excitable when she recruits guards/wings: http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/160966/shatori-walker

Oh, and Eric, didn't you intend to include Notre Dame on your list? Not only is Notre Dame really stepping up their recruiting lately, but Muffet has a bit of fetish for perimeter players; she collects them like she collects shoes. (And with her contract extension, she can afford to collect a lot of shoes. But not perimeter players, as that would be unethical.)

Reaction Score
... quite athletic, but seriously?

Walker-Kimbrough said she also held offers from Duquesne, Villanova, Cincinnati, Xavier, St. Joseph’s, Dayton and Pittsburgh. Mumbray added that Michigan and Purdue also offered her a scholarship. She eventually narrowed the list down to just Maryland and Duquense.

so the only school that even sniffed the top 10, never mind the top 25, the past several years was Maryland who was after her. Purdue is a nice program that is coming back, but the rest are mid majors at best. Good programs but it's not like Maryland got her away from Duke, Stanford, UCONN and Baylor...

So what you're saying Eric, is BFD, n'est-ce pas?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You'll note that PSU was not on the list as having extended an offer. Many felt Duquense was the appropriate level.

Reaction Score
Maryland (staff and players included) are one big dysfunctional family. I can't wait to see what they do with Malina Howard. She is a post up type of player and Maryland will have her shooting 15 - 20 foot jump shots.

Reaction Score
Totally strange article... (strange to me in case anyone objects lol). the recruit said she could hardly hear Frese on the phone when she told her the news... "“I couldn’t even understand what she was saying. She was screaming, and there were screams in the background from the assistant coach Tina Langley and the other freshmen...”

I get that they were excited I guess, and apparently this kid is quite athletic, but seriously?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brenda and staff probably rehearse the screaming, it is a ploy to make the recruits feel important. Then when she signs things change. Some girls are very gullible, to bad the parents are too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maryland (staff and players included) are one big dysfunctional family. I can't wait to see what they do with Malina Howard. She is a post up type of player and Maryland will have her shooting 15 - 20 foot jump shots.
Maryland (staff and players included) are one big dysfunctional family. I can't wait to see what they do with Malina Howard. She is a
post up type of player and Maryland will have her shooting 15 - 20 foot jump shots.
Brenda definitely tries to portray them as a family, but it does seem dysfunctional in some ways.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You know, for all we like to bag on Maryland, Tolliver, Coleman and Langhorne have all been quite good in the WNBA. I'm not sure how Kizer and Barrett are doing - both probably reserves, but it's not like Maryland is producing a bunch of flops in the pros. Who else has MD produced in the pros? Yeah i know they don't teach defense, but that doesn't seem to hurt them in the WNBA...

And say what you will about how well Maryland "develops" it's players - Alyssa Thomas was not even in the top 5 coming out of HS, but she's clearly one of the top 2 players in her class. Is that just her natural skill, or Maryland's development of her game?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You know, for all we like to bag on Maryland, Tolliver, Coleman and Langhorne have all been quite good in the WNBA. I'm not sure how Kizer and Barrett are doing - both probably reserves, but it's not like Maryland is producing a bunch of flops in the pros. Who else has MD produced in the pros? Yeah i know they don't teach defense, but that doesn't seem to hurt them in the WNBA...
Tolliver, Coleman, and Langhorne were All-Americans in college. Kristi and Crystal, in particular, have found their niche offensively in the WNBA. But none of the 3 is a particularly good defender.

I think Kizer is definitely making a contribution.

Alyssa Thomas should be a star in the WNBA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Tolliver, Coleman, and Langhorne were All-Americans in college. Kristi and Crystal, in particular, have found their niche offensively in the WNBA. But none of the 3 is a particularly good defender.

I think Kizer is definitely making a contribution.

Alyssa Thomas should be a star in the WNBA.

I think Kizer was let go by Tulsa when they picked up Courtney Paris. Not sure if she was picked up by anyone

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Harsh, a bit. I agree she seems a bit below the top level - that that's a wide variety of strong mid-majors, so she might be a serious "off the bench" prospect. You have to recruit them too (or maybe she has good grades - another intangible).

I rate Purdue higher than you do, they would be better if they were in a different conference I think. With the exception of Cincinnati (which is at least in the BE) these are all programs that aspire to NCAA tourneys, so I think her sights were reasonable. There are a whole lot of worse programs.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Harsh, a bit. I agree she seems a bit below the top level - that that's a wide variety of strong mid-majors, so she might be a serious "off the bench" prospect. You have to recruit them too (or maybe she has good grades - another intangible).

I rate Purdue higher than you do, they would be better if they were in a different conference I think. With the exception of Cincinnati (which is at least in the BE) these are all programs that aspire to NCAA tourneys, so I think her sights were reasonable. There are a whole lot of worse programs.
totally agree with you. But if you look at teams who are perennial top 10 or top 25, literally none of, except maybe Purdue, are like that. Sure Xavier was good when they had Harris and they did beat Tennessee in one memorable NCAA, and PItt was in the top 25 a bit ago, and Nova had some success 7 or 8 years ago, but my point was that over the top celebration by the head coach with a NC seems like it should be reserved for landing a legit top 10 kid, or prying an under the radar kid away from some other heavy hitters...

If Geno (or Vivian) had a reaction like that after landing a kid in the top 50 range, we'd all be scratching our collective heads...

Reaction Score
Let me clear up a few things for you about Shatori.

Here are some videos of her, one where she scored 35 of her team's 50 points to win the championship game.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJLK0...feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJLK0euSyo&feature=relatedwww.youtube.com/watch?v=N9V6hoLFGZEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJLK0euSyo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEv-h-HctgA

Here is Shatori in in volleyball, she is also a track star on her high school team.
Hopewell's Soph. #20 MH,OH Shatori Walker-Kimbrough - YouTube

BTW, Shatori was at ND's camp this past week and coach McGraw was in shock that her program wasn't recruiting her. When Shatori told coach McGraw that ND was not recruiting her coach McGraw then said we are recruiting you now.

Many thought Duquense was the appropriate level? Think again.

U

UCONNfan1

Hey Turtle. Welcome to the board. Please come back and visit us afer Maryland and UCONN Play this year. I'll be curious to see if you feel a 30 point smackdown was a good effort by the Terps. I always like seeing posters who root for other teams post here with an edge.

As for Shatori, congrats on getting a top 10 recruit! I feel better now that you cleared it up for us. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before HG, Blue Star, and ASGR update their recruiting data bases...

Reaction Score
UCONNfan1, regarding the UConn/MD game, if it's 30+, I certainly won't be showing up here, probably will hibernate for a couple of weeks.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Let me clear up a few things for you about Shatori.

Here are some videos of her, one where she scored 35 of her team's 50 points to win the championship game.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpJLK0...feature=related
www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9V6hoLFGZE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEv-h-HctgA

Here is Shatori in in volleyball, she is also a track star on her high school team.
Hopewell's Soph. #20 MH,OH Shatori Walker-Kimbrough - YouTube

BTW, Shatori was at ND's camp this past week and coach McGraw was in shock that her program wasn't recruiting her. When Shatori told coach McGraw that ND was not recruiting her coach McGraw then said we are recruiting you now.

Many thought Duquense was the appropriate level? Think again.

She looks to be a big, physical guard with a good handle. She appears to be able to lead the break and get to the rim as well as rebound very well. She does look underrated.

Reaction Score
Do some of our expert posters here really think college coaches rate their prospects based on what various websites say? I can assure you that coaches do their own evaluations independent of Internet experts.

U

UCONNfan1

Do some of our expert posters here really think college coaches rate their prospects based on what various websites say? I can assure you that coaches do their own evaluations independent of Internet experts.
If this were 20 years ago I'd say you would be right 90% of the time, or a number similar to that. I think there were a good number of sure fire superstars, but if you go back and look at Blue Star, who was about the only game in town (unless ASGR or AGR was around then), it's amazing the number of top 10 or 20 prospects who were average in college and beyond, and it was much easier to miss out on a potential Angel McCaughtry back then.

Things have changed. I think many have posted a lot about the miscues of HG or other recuriting services but all they can do is evaluate the best the can. Occasionally you do find the Angel in the rough, or a Saniya Chong who plays for a nobody in high school, but bursts on to the scene because she averages close to 40 PPG. Hard to ignore that.

Geno certainly does his own evaluation of players. I have no idea where this Maryland kid "should" fit in the top 100, but I'd be shocked if Geno, or CD, or any the UCON staff reaced with a scream-fest when they were called by Michala Johnson or Lauren Englen for their verbal. Yeah, I know Geno's not a screamer like that, but my point remains.

I can't imagine how she'd react if she actually got a 4 or 5 star recruit. I hope they have paramedics nearby in case Brenda ever lands an actual top 20 kid again. She's going to need to be resuscitated.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Muffet does have a thing for perimeter players, but have you seen how many she has already? If Muffet did actually say that, I'm sure it was a very nice compliment, but I think she is set for wings/guards, especially since Notre Dame is still courting Becca Greenwell. And Muffet also needs to keep a roster spot open in case something bizarre and wonderful happens and one of the other top recruits accepts an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom