Maryland dumps Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland dumps Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think we ran and hid this year. If Cooley keeps it up and turns PC into an upper echelon NBE team, I hope we renew the series.

There are only so many OOC games, and you need a certain number of home games...you can't go on the road against a team where a win gets you little and a loss kills. Fix that, and I'd bet they'll play. Some teams do it with mid-majors they feel they'll certainly beat, but no matter how good UConn is, and how terrible PC is, there is a chance UConn will lose.

PC offered to come to UCONN; and was rebuffed

Reaction Score
Who says there was an offer from PC to UConn to play each other? The only mention I ever saw was from PC fans claiming Cooley offered a home and home, but, because of what happened in the past, Cooley supposedly stated UConn wouldn't accept.
If Cooley actually said that then he's an A -HOLE and doesn't deserve the privilege of playing UConn.

Cooley offered a home and home; was turned down. Offered to come to UCONN; was turned down.

Reaction Score
Cooley offered a home and home; was turned down. Offered to come to UCONN; was turned down.

You really think you deserve a home and home with a National Championship powerhouse like the UConn Huskies?? Think again bro! We will play you in Gampel every year if you're interested just like Harvard does. Harvard by the way has been far more successful than the Friars in recent years and they don't have a problem with it.

Reaction Score
You really think you deserve a home and home with a National Championship powerhouse like the UConn Huskies?? Think again bro! We will play you in Gampel every year if you're interested just like Harvard does. Harvard by the way has been far more successful than the Friars in recent years and they don't have a problem with it.

That was offered; uconn wasn't interested

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Have your team hit the books and you may be right. :)
have your team hit the practice floor and sign recruits who actually play and you might sniff a tournament this decade

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You play plenty of those games...just not against PC

We love to give many teams the chance to look at our 3 NC banners - how does yours look in the Dunkin Donut Center - when I was there last year I missed them or did you take them down to have them cleaned?

Reaction Score
I'd love to see some concrete proof UConn turned down an agreement to play PC at home every year.

Every year? NO. This year without a return game. I'll take Ed Cooley at his word.

Reaction Score
Every year? NO. This year without a return game. I'll take Ed Cooley at his word.

Well, Ed Cooley was also quoted as saying that he couldn't get ANY major conference teams to agree to a home-and-home series. So you have an awful lot of other message boards to go cry on.

Reaction Score
Well, Ed Cooley was also quoted as saying that he couldn't get ANY major conference teams to agree to a home-and-home series. So you have an awful lot of other message boards to go cry on.

Agreed. Never had a beef with UCONN nixing the home and home. Running away from the series entirely; if you're really "UCONN DAMMIT!" lace 'em up and play; as the guy who used to coach in Storrs put it.

Reaction Score
Running away from the series entirely

No one is running from you guys. No benefit to playing you, simple as that. Though you seem to have a hard time grasping that fact.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Agreed. Never had a beef with UCONN nixing the home and home. Running away from the series entirely; if you're really "UCONN DAMMIT!" lace 'em up and play; as the guy who used to coach in Storrs put it.

While there is no reason to question Cooley's word, unless all of the details are known it would be foolish to believe that PC (or Cooley) offered a game in Storrs (or Hartford) where there would be neither issues in UConn adding that game to this year's schedule nor any strings attached.

Personally I would only view anything scheduled between our two schools if the bulk of the home games were played in Storrs (or Hartford). It would be quite foolish of us to give you anything close to a 50/50 split and I believe that it would be very safe to say that we have earned that privilege. It also would make less sense to schedule PC than it would to schedule a number of the current BE schools who were former conference mates of ours as the geography and image of schools like Georgetown and Villanova and the geography alone of St John's (and possibly even Seton Hall) would make each a more attractive opponent.

I realize that it is just a matter of a couple of seasons before your program starts dominating the college basletball world while ours will be relegated to a level similar to CCSU, Marist and New Hampshire but in all candor, when that does happen and many rue the day that we didn't lock ourselves into a long term deal with PC I'll just say "you win some, you lose some".

caw

Reaction Score
Early returns:

BE Football schools: 46-8
UConn 7-0
Pitt 6-0
exCuse 6-0
Cincy 5-0
UL 5-1
WVU 5-1
USF 4-1
ND 4-1
Rutgers 4-4

Losses to: #5 OSU, #24 UNC, Indiana State, VT, (then Rutgers losing to UAB, Drexel, W&M, FDU)
Wins over power five: Maryland, Indiana, NCST, BC, Minnesota, CAL, Texas Tech, Stanford,

BE basketball only (C7): 27-11
Nova 4-0
PC 6-1
SJU 4-1
SHU 4-2
GT 3-2
MU 3-2
DePaul 3-3

Losses: Maryland, #20 Wisconsin, Mercer, Oklahoma, #19 Oregon, Northeastern, #10 OSU, ASU (then DePauls losses to USM, #12 Wichita State, Texas)

Wins versus power five: BC, Vanderbilt, VT, KSU. I'll also include VCU

Just thought it was interesting bc C7 fans always claim the football schools weren't carrying them. Long way to go still of course.

Reaction Score
Early returns:

BE Football schools: 46-8
UConn 7-0
Pitt 6-0
exCuse 6-0
Cincy 5-0
UL 5-1
WVU 5-1
USF 4-1
ND 4-1
Rutgers 4-4

Losses to: #5 OSU, #24 UNC, Indiana State, VT, (then Rutgers losing to UAB, Drexel, W&M, FDU)
Wins over power five: Maryland, Indiana, NCST, BC, Minnesota, CAL, Texas Tech, Stanford,

BE basketball only (C7): 27-11
Nova 4-0
PC 6-1
SJU 4-1
SHU 4-2
GT 3-2
MU 3-2
DePaul 3-3

Losses: Maryland, #20 Wisconsin, Mercer, Oklahoma, #19 Oregon, Northeastern, #10 OSU, ASU (then DePauls losses to USM, #12 Wichita State, Texas)

Wins versus power five: BC, Vanderbilt, VT, KSU. I'll also include VCU

Just thought it was interesting bc C7 fans always claim the football schools weren't carrying them. Long way to go still of course.

Damn that was a buzz saw of a bball conference. Too bad it's gone.

Reaction Score
Have your team hit the books and you may be right. :)

As a matter of fact, UConn will score a perfect 1,000APR. As I understand it, PC needs somewhere around a 950 to be eligible for the 2015 tourney. Are you guys going to make it?

Reaction Score
Question for seanmc94 or FriarJ - What's up with Austin? Anybody on your board have any insight to what happened and how long he's out for? Seems awfully quiet. Thought something would've leaked by now.

Reaction Score
Too many rumors flying around. Nothing credible. The fact he traveled to VI leads me to believe it may be over soon.

Reaction Score
Too many rumors flying around. Nothing credible. The fact he traveled to VI leads me to believe it may be over soon.
Thanks! Really want to see him play, kid is really talented. I was upset when we lost him to you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom