Maryland coach "pleased", watched wrong game... | The Boneyard

Maryland coach "pleased", watched wrong game...

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
brenda.jpeg

I understand losing coaches often put the best possible spin on games against UConn. But after listening to as much of Brenda Frese' post-game analysis as I could bear, I'm convinced she watched the wrong game. In the first 30 seconds of her talk, the Maryland coach claimed she was "pleased" with her team's performance, said they "grew as a team" and highlighted their 16 steals and 72 points. In an alternate universe moment, she proudly proclaimed that if you looked at just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th periods, Maryland only lost by 4 points. Seriously..?? Here is one UConn fan's rebuttal. :p

1. Brenda, your team gave up 97 points to a team missing Katie Lou Samuelson. That is just 3 points short of 100. Get excited about the steals if you want, but your defense is really bad. Really, really bad..! ;)
2. With 8:48 left in the game, you were losing by 37 points. Thank Geno for playing the bench for 54 combined minutes and not beating your team by 50.
3. Your best player, Kaila Charles, scored 29 points because you left her in for 40 minutes. In the 1st period, against the starters, she had 4 pts. In the 4th, she scored 15, more than half of her total.
4. Are you please your team shot 26% from 3 point range and 61% from the free throw line?
5. Maryland scored 21 points in the first half. 20 minutes, only 21 points. Meanwhile, UConn hung 46 points on your defense and took a 25 point lead into the locker room. :D
6. Basketball games are 40 minutes long. You didn't "compete for 30 minutes." You were in this game for exactly 2 minutes and 15 seconds when you tied the score 7-7. Then your team gave up the next 11 points. :rolleyes:
7. Brenda, your team shot 39% from the field, had only 9 assists, gave up 20 turnovers and two starters (Confroy & Myers) played 41 combined minutes and scored 0 points. Still pleased..?

Maybe the effusive praise for UConn's defense, offense and players came later in the press conference. I had long since reached for Katie Lou's bucket to offload my lunch. I guess being winless (0-6) against Geno and the Huskies is not fun, so go ahead and be "pleased" with your young team. But, seriously, you missed a great game.

Go Huskies..!!

Reaction Score
Sort of like winning the "Miss Congeniality Award" and saying that you won the Miss America contest.

Actually, it's kinda good that opposing coaches are somewhat delusional. Just shows that Geno has them all searching for something--anything!--good to say after they play UConn.

Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

I understand losing coaches often put the best possible spin on games against UConn. But after listening to as much of Brenda Frese' post-game analysis as I could bear, I'm convinced she watched the wrong game. In the first 30 seconds of her talk, the Maryland coach claimed she was "pleased" with her team's performance, said they "grew as a team" and highlighted their 16 steals and 72 points. In an alternate universe moment, she proudly proclaimed that if you looked at just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th periods, Maryland only lost by 4 points. Seriously..?? Here is one UConn fan's rebuttal. :p

1. Brenda, your team gave up 97 points to a team missing Katie Lou Samuelson. That is just 3 points short of 100. Get excited about the steals if you want, but your defense is really bad. Really, really bad..! ;)
2. With 8:48 left in the game, you were losing by 37 points. Thank Geno for playing the bench for 54 combined minutes and not beating your team by 50.
3. Your best player, Kaila Charles, scored 29 points because you left her in for 40 minutes. In the 1st period, against the starters, she had 4 pts. In the 4th, she scored 15, more than half of her total.
4. Are you please your team shot 26% from 3 point range and 61% from the free throw line?
5. Maryland scored 21 points in the first half. 20 minutes, only 21 points. Meanwhile, UConn hung 46 points on your defense and took a 25 point lead into the locker room. :D
6. Basketball games are 40 minutes long. You didn't "compete for 30 minutes." You were in this game for exactly 2 minutes and 15 seconds when you tied the score 7-7. Then your team gave up the next 11 points. :rolleyes:
7. Brenda, your team shot 39% from the field, had only 9 assists, gave up 20 turnovers and two starters (Confroy & Myers) played 41 combined minutes and scored 0 points. Still pleased..?

Maybe the effusive praise for UConn's defense, offense and players came later in the press conference. I had long since reached for Katie Lou's bucket to offload my lunch. I guess being winless (0-6) against Geno and the Huskies is not fun, so go ahead and be "pleased" with your young team. But, seriously, you missed a great game.

Go Huskies..!!

typical Frese, she wants to claim a moral victory, when they were humiliated

Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

Go Huskies..!!
I figure she has a young team and she is trying to coach them up. What would you expect, she is not JPM.

Reaction Score
She took her positives out of the game for her teams benefit... would you rather she ridiculed her team and beat them down on national television?? Would that make you happy??

Sheesh... People complain when we don't win by 50, people complain when someone has an off game... Now it's complaining that the opposing coach doesn't say what you want her to say?? Not everyone is Vic Schaeffer... what else do you want??

Reaction Score
I figure she has a young team and she is trying to coach them up. What would you expect, she is not JPM.
I think Brenda's a darn good coach- she's come closer than most to beating us.
I really respect what she says here and how she handled herself during the game. The zone did bother us- and Charles is a really good player. She'll have them ready, and in the meantime, she is optimistic.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
David - I agree 100%. For the record, for those who think "what was she supposed to say", how about this?

"UCONN is even better than last season. They have no weaknesses and exposed ours. But there were times in the game where we not only competed hard, but also were able to disrupt their offense and do some things we wanted to on our end. We are a young team, we lost a lot from last season, and there are definitely things we learned today, especially about what we need to do to improve and get to where we want to be by the end of the season".

It's delusional and flat out wrong to try to pretty up the corpse. There are other ways to talk about her team that doesn't make it sound like she wasn't even at the game, and just looked at the final score / 4th quarter and said "wow - pretty good"...

Reaction Score
I knew they were in trouble as soon as I heard the old platitude "we are going to compete for 40 min." always sounds like a team already lost when that is the pregame pep speech. She seems happier with her kids than Geno dose after most WINS. Might be a bit harsh but I go back to Vince Lombardi's quote "Show me a good Loser, and I'll show you a loser."

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

Go Huskies..!!
You're rough on Coach Frese for putting a positive spin on a loss. Her team is young and the season just started and they've played the top 2 team in the nation already. What exactly would you have liked her to say. Why would she effusively praise Connecticut, they get enough of that from the media and on this Board. She still has to coach her team. Would you prefer her to be like Coach P. and say my players suck and it's all their fault?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
typical Frese, she wants to claim a moral victory, when they were humiliated
Just sitting through that same old, same old pep talk in the locker room her charges should claim a moral victory. UConn won by 6 (when they should have by more) against her in College Park last year and she declared a moral victory. UConn of course had a bench of 10 with 3 freshmen and a walk on. Yesterday they lose by 25 (when they could have lost by more ) and she claims a moral victory because of her bench of 9. I suppose there is no thing as victory. Ho hum, trust Frese to give us false equivalents.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You're rough on Coach Frese for putting a positive spin on a loss. Her team is young and the season just started and they've played the top 2 team in the nation already. What exactly would you have liked her to say. Why would she effusively praise Connecticut, they get enough of that from the media and on this Board. She still has to coach her team. Would you prefer her to be like Coach P. and say my players suck and it's all their fault?
This is the same coach who last year when asked about Geno's victories said its easy to win when you get the best players. Well, Frese showed us all how easy it is to screw things up when you get the best players. She should be thankful that Geno agrees to continue these annual butt whuppins.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I noticed this in the paper this morning. She said something like "We competed for three quarters. . ." But those three quarters were 2, 3, and 4. Normally when a team competes for three quarters, it's 1, 2, and 3, then they succumb to foul trouble, fatigue, or whatever, not after all hope is lost.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

Go Huskies..!!
Be it coach or fan, I think the best approach is to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

Reaction Score
Great post. and I like the use of stats. However, IMO Frese really doesn't have a choice but to try in build her teams confidence. They just lost 2 AA's and Slocumb. They are young, inexperienced and visiting UCONN at home. Everyone new knew they were going to get blown out. However, they never hung their heads and they played hard for 40 minutes. It's pretty clear that Brenda's athletes are buying in to her program. Good for them...they'll be better for it.

Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

Go Huskies..!!
Wow this is a great post, So true. Don't know what game she watched.

Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

Go Huskies..!!
]\

I have no problem with Brenda;s spin. She was talking, I think , to her team and fan base. Her team did beat the heck out of Uconn with defensive steals--against the end of Uconn's bench. Those kiddies, if not for the TO's would have run the score well beyond 100.\Brenda has to be thrilled this a point a minute team. 5 players times 200 --1000 points, can Uconn beat that??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom