Maryland coach "pleased", watched wrong game... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maryland coach "pleased", watched wrong game...

Reaction Score
Be it coach or fan, I think the best approach is to be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.
Lombardi: Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser! Geno was never a loser! Gracious to your opponent, and this time she was almost there it's the home post game words that is being bantered around. She needs to pump up her team and fans.

Reaction Score
View attachment 26304

I understand losing coaches often put the best possible spin on games against UConn. But after listening to as much of Brenda Frese' post-game analysis as I could bear, I'm convinced she watched the wrong game. In the first 30 seconds of her talk, the Maryland coach claimed she was "pleased" with her team's performance, said they "grew as a team" and highlighted their 16 steals and 72 points. In an alternate universe moment, she proudly proclaimed that if you looked at just the 2nd, 3rd and 4th periods, Maryland only lost by 4 points. Seriously..?? Here is one UConn fan's rebuttal. :p

1. Brenda, your team gave up 97 points to a team missing Katie Lou Samuelson. That is just 3 points short of 100. Get excited about the steals if you want, but your defense is really bad. Really, really bad..! ;)
2. With 8:48 left in the game, you were losing by 37 points. Thank Geno for playing the bench for 54 combined minutes and not beating your team by 50.
3. Your best player, Kaila Charles, scored 29 points because you left her in for 40 minutes. In the 1st period, against the starters, she had 4 pts. In the 4th, she scored 15, more than half of her total.
4. Are you please your team shot 26% from 3 point range and 61% from the free throw line?
5. Maryland scored 21 points in the first half. 20 minutes, only 21 points. Meanwhile, UConn hung 46 points on your defense and took a 25 point lead into the locker room. :D
6. Basketball games are 40 minutes long. You didn't "compete for 30 minutes." You were in this game for exactly 2 minutes and 15 seconds when you tied the score 7-7. Then your team gave up the next 11 points. :rolleyes:
7. Brenda, your team shot 39% from the field, had only 9 assists, gave up 20 turnovers and two starters (Confroy & Myers) played 41 combined minutes and scored 0 points. Still pleased..?

Maybe the effusive praise for UConn's defense, offense and players came later in the press conference. I had long since reached for Katie Lou's bucket to offload my lunch. I guess being winless (0-6) against Geno and the Huskies is not fun, so go ahead and be "pleased" with your young team. But, seriously, you missed a great game.

Go Huskies..!!

Naples is one of my fav places. I rent a house for a week every year on beach. Great spot.

Reaction Score
what's that?

When I was a child, way way way way back, another child would drive by my house and throw something he called a paper at me. He rode so fast I never got to throw it back--Dad aways said thanks, wonder why??]
I looked in the dictionary and it said --defunct!

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While she might have gone overboard, Brenda Frese is not delusional. Her strategy is clear--try to build up the confidence of her young team, focus on the positives (at least in the press) and prepare them for success later in the year. It would be one thing if you thought she was a coach who was comfortable with being average, but that does not seem to be her MO at all.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Actually, I don't get a physical paper, I subscribe to an electronic version. So technically, I should have said "I noticed this on my iPad this morning.
I actually get the physical paper delivered daily 24/7/365 #autopay every 6 months... thrown on my lawn just about every morning :p coupons, Jumbles, obit clippings and UConn memorabilia commemorative stuff

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am thankful she schedules us every year. Many coaches avoid us. Also, she is the opposite of Joanne P McCallie and her throwing her team under the bus at every turn. Bottom line, I used to dislike Frese but now appreciate her for competing against us. They had no chance this year but will learn from the experience.

Reaction Score
I have gotten in trouble with the Mods on the BY the last 2x's I've spoken out about Brenda Frese, so I'll control myself to this one statement!
Two years ago after UCONN beat MD by 15 to 20 points with 2 starters injured, Coach Frese at the post game presser said "if Geno loses one more player he's going to have to coach his team!"
That tells you all you need to know about Coach Brenda Frese!

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
When I was a child, way way way way back, another child would drive by my house and throw something he called a paper at me. He rode so fast I never got to throw it back--Dad aways said thanks, wonder why??]
I looked in the dictionary and it said --defunct!

I delivered daily newspapers on my Schwinn (still have it - Mrs. Bliss finally gave up trying to convince me to get rid of it) back in the 50's; rain or shine, snow or blow. Had about 45 subscribers on my route in small-town IL. Hardest part was knocking on each door every Saturday to collect the twenty-five-cent weekly fee. Paid the monthly charge from the newspaper from this and kept the rest as earnings. Was a really good racket for a kid who didn't mind occasional nasty weather.

Reaction Score
I think the post is valid. The negative comments may be from Maryland fans "visiting" the Boneyard.
I think one of Geno's coaching strengths is his honesty with his players. I don't think he would ever choose the "Moral Victory" route as the players know they were just drubbed.
But then again, when was the last time Uconn lost by 25, and he went on to say..."Hey guys, we won the last quarter!" yippeeeeeee

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I think the post is valid. The negative comments may be from Maryland fans "visiting" the Boneyard.
I think one of Geno's coaching strengths is his honesty with his players. I don't think he would ever choose the "Moral Victory" route as the players know they were just drubbed.
But then again, when was the last time Uconn lost by 25, and he went on to say..."Hey guys, we won the last quarter!" yippeeeeeee
I doubt many Maryland fans visit the Boneyard.

Quite a few years ago there was a weekly program on the Maryland program (their version of a coach's show), called something with "Turtle" in the title, IIRC. What Brenda said in the OP, has said in the past per various posters, and will doubtless continue to say are pure "Brenda". The show made me ill, it was all about Rah Rah coaching, how special they are, etc. A form or arrogance of some sort.

That said, she isn't the only coach to coach that way, it just isn't a style I like. Give me a bit of humble.

Whether the op was "valid" is a matter of opinion. I can't say she is wrong to coach that way, but if you really think coaches believe half of what they say, I've got a bridge . . .

Reaction Score
UConn did not play well against Maryland. There was the rebound advantage, but overall a B-.

Reaction Score
I delivered daily newspapers on my Schwinn (still have it - Mrs. Bliss finally gave up trying to convince me to get rid of it) back in the 50's; rain or shine, snow or blow. Had about 45 subscribers on my route in small-town IL. Hardest part was knocking on each door every Saturday to collect the twenty-five-cent weekly fee. Paid the monthly charge from the newspaper from this and kept the rest as earnings. Was a really good racket for a kid who didn't mind occasional nasty weather.

Today parents may be arrested for the kind of abuse very young paper boys went through--some arose about 4 am to pick up the papers--and as you pointed out getting SOME customers to pay, and some to pay regularly, to a 9 year old and up, was terrible. All this before going to school day in /day out weather be damned you were expected to deliver, no excuse--bad cold/flu--I want my paper. And Sunday papers --if you didn't have a mule or a big sister to help--it was murder. Sunday papers were huge, huge, huge. Collecting was the tough part..
Mom paid the 25 cents per week , which was hard to dredge up, and opted for the extra 5 cents for life insurance on Dad. Some kids got a tip, maybe , for Xmas, some may get a gift-MAYBE--not like today where it's expected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom