Maryland/Coach Brenda Marketing The UConn Game | The Boneyard

Maryland/Coach Brenda Marketing The UConn Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maryland WBB‏@umdwbb
Buy 2 reserved seats today and get a free Maryland clear bag! --> http://ter.ps/FreseFest16 #FreseFest

CzpOeAUWQAEzbeV.jpg

l

Reaction Score
Well, the college kids won't be there, and I guess they're afraid that other boosters will be at holiday parties or in Florida, etc. Maybe a little unfair at putting this entirely at Brenda's feet: it's a PR thing and universities have larger "community relations" staffs than many academic departments have faculty.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Lol. Ain't it time for your long nap anyway?

It really is, isn't it? Last year, the skiing was so poor, I might as well have packed it in for the winter. Now, the winter of 2014-2015, that was worth missing out on some zzz'a!

Reaction Score
This is someone's idea of a joke..... right? One of you Boneyarders came up with a good one this time. Who would be motivated to buy a ticket to a basketball game for a zip lock bag? I would like one of you to confess right now. Please, so I can give you a like. :D

Reaction Score
The cupcake games are now over for MD.......Why do all the coaches say the same thing after they get their butss kicked by UCONN...UCONN just out muscled, out smarted us.........etc.......Wait!!

Reaction Score
Why is this being promoted as the UCONN game? Isn't it The Maryland game? Or is this just Brenda's way of saying "We are doomed"...:eek:

Reaction Score
I KNEW it! As soon as I saw this thread, I knew there would be BYers making fun of it, So let me weigh in with an opposing viewpoint, as the people in the editorial business used to say:

It can be a "clear bag," a trash bag or a Baggie --makes no difference. At least someone at MD -- and rest assured it was not the coach -- came up with an idea. That seems to me to be exactly one idea more than the people charged with filling Gampel have thrown at us with lately.

I could be wrong, but all I've seen from then is a UConn ticket card which, the ad says, "works just like a restaurant card!" Well, duh! I guess they thought we wouldn't get the concept without an analogy. Sheesh.

I live in Florida, so I'm not exactly the target for this marketing, but here's my gripe: These UConn marketing people have not a good product but a great product, an absolutely unique (in the literal sense of the word) marketing opportunity. What did Bob Ryan call UConn WCBB? Something like: "The most compelling story in modern sports history." They can't sell tickets to this? Okay, you won't sell out when a team like Cincy or Houston or Memphis come to town, but to have empty seats when the opponent is a Top 20 team is a real embarrassment.

As for me, I don't think I'll throw stones at MD for this attempt to stimulate interest, at least not until the team I care about goes them one better.

Reaction Score
I have no issues with this at all. They want a full house to support their team AND avoid embarrassing themselves with a show of empty seats on national TV. Good move by the University (although I would think that a T-shirt would go over better than a "Maryland clear bag", whatever that is).

Remember, the full house gives OUR Girls juice, and they are used to it; most teams aren't used to playing in a pressure cooker like that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I KNEW it! As soon as I saw this thread, I knew there would be BYers making fun of it, So let me weigh in with an opposing viewpoint, as the people in the editorial business used to say:

It can be a "clear bag," a trash bag or a Baggie --makes no difference. At least someone at MD -- and rest assured it was not the coach -- came up with an idea. That seems to me to be exactly one idea more than the people charged with filling Gampel have thrown at us with lately.

I could be wrong, but all I've seen from then is a UConn ticket card which, the ad says, "works just like a restaurant card!" Well, duh! I guess they thought we wouldn't get the concept without an analogy. Sheesh.

I live in Florida, so I'm not exactly the target for this marketing, but here's my gripe: These UConn marketing people have not a good product but a great product, an absolutely unique (in the literal sense of the word) marketing opportunity. What did Bob Ryan call UConn WCBB? Something like: "The most compelling story in modern sports history." They can't sell tickets to this? Okay, you won't sell out when a team like Cincy or Houston or Memphis come to town, but to have empty seats when the opponent is a Top 20 team is a real embarrassment.

As for me, I don't think I'll throw stones at MD for this attempt to stimulate interest, at least not until the team I care about goes them one better.
The folks at Uconn have come up with one idea that doesn't get promoted in ticket sales terms, but I think does have some effect on how many people stay to the end of the games and on how many students show up. The prize give-aways are real, and a fun little schtick that Kia and Gabby take very seriously.

But agree with everything else - it can be a big problem filling stands when the university community is full of Christmas turkey and busy returning unwanted gifts and the students are all at home. Anything and everything to make it a home game and a hopping crowd is a good idea.

Reaction Score
For all the snarking here, it's not a bad idea. I'd love to see UConn fill Gampel or XL, and an inexpensive little freebie for the fans might help.

A few games ago, we got plastic leis for Luau Night. :p

There are also drawings for prize giveaways at the end of the game. Of course, it's a drawing, so only one or two people get a prize, and it's not advertised beforehand to boost ticket sales. But they ARE decent prizes.

Also, if UCONN scores at least 82 points, you get a free snack size wings at Buffalo Wild Wings if you bring them your ticket within a week of the win. Ate a LOT of wings last year!

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Be still, my heart. I could get a "Freser" bag! Gosh, I wish I had waited to buy Ursusminor's Xmas present 'till this promotion! :rolleyes:
I laughed WAY too hard at that.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
A few games ago, we got plastic leis for Luau Night. :p There are also drawings for prize giveaways at the end of the game. Of course, it's a drawing, so only one or two people get a prize, and it's not advertised beforehand to boost ticket sales. But they ARE decent prizes. Also, if UCONN scores at least 82 points, you get a free snack size wings at Buffalo Wild Wings if you bring them your ticket within a week of the win. Ate a LOT of wings last year!

.:(

Reaction Score
Well, the college kids won't be there, and I guess they're afraid that other boosters will be at holiday parties or in Florida, etc. Maybe a little unfair at putting this entirely at Brenda's feet: it's a PR thing and universities have larger "community relations" staffs than many academic departments have faculty.

Once more you said it!! We have heard expressions of why isn't Women's BB getting the PR other sports do!! Here is one method and you have to give Brenda and the program high marks for pumping this game to it's highest. OK the "prize" is a bit mickey mouse but the idea gets good marks for positive PR..

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
A couple of things come to mind. Its the holiday season and the students are on vacation so it will be hard to get people to attend. I think she also sees the opportunity to get more TV coverage and I really think she is thinking that will a full house she has a better chance against UConn. IMO it doesnt matter UConn will win. Hey bottom line the name UConn Womens sells itself and they attract fans so why not sell it and make some money as well as get fannies in the seats.

Reaction Score
Why is this being promoted as the UCONN game? Isn't it The Maryland game? Or is this just Brenda's way of saying "We are doomed"...:eek:
If every game you go to is a UConn game --when you play Md that's the Maryland game!! Or the ND game or the SMU game..

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Good for Brenda! My grandson attends UMd Med School and his mom is on staff of UMd Nursing School. Both will be glued to their TV in Ellicott City and neither dare to openly root for the Terps. ;)

HGN

Reaction Score
Brenda Frese and MD are hyping this game........

1) Because its being played in College Park. And not Storrs.
2) Because Frese and MD legitimately think they have a great chance at beating UCONN this year.

Never one lacking for confidence , Frese has a very good team this year. May be the best blend of talent
since her NC team. Strong inside game , good ballhandlers , defense , and shooters. And depth.

This team is not to be taken lightly.

Reaction Score
I will be at that game with my wife and daughter, who is a student at U of M. I will have to sit on my hands if I want to survive the game and not have to walk home to Baltimore from College Park. :eek:

A little context about this give away. The "clear bag" is a function of security rules at all Maryland Athletic events. Anything you bring into any sports venue is subject to search (purses, bags, etc.). If you use the provided clear bag it speeds up the bag checks and just makes the whole experience a lot more pleasant. The bags in question are not cheap. They are thick, heavy duty bags that could double as a light duty "wet bag" for around water activities. My daughter got one in her freshman orientation packet for use at U of M football and basketball games and they are expected to use them.

This game has been "special" with different pricing and seat location restrictions since it was placed on the schedule, so the bag is truly just a Thank You to the fans. Yes, most of the students will be off campus but U of M women's basketball does have a pretty big following outside of the students, so the crowd should be good unless the weather is bad and the mid Atlantic weather weenies stay at home. I doubt this promotion will put that many more butts in the seats. I had a hard time getting three seats together in the bottom bowl of the Xfinity Center after only two hours of the tickets going on sale. The seats I did get are at the end of the court seven rows back just to the left of the backboard on the end of the floor where the Maryland bench is.

Reaction Score
If Brenda really wants to hype the game she should guarantee a Terp victory. After all, THIS is the year to get UConn, Geno actually has to coach this year, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom