Maryland cab Minnesota | The Boneyard

Maryland cab Minnesota

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OMG....Maryland is gettin a butt whooping!! Final score 93-74 Minny

Maryland looked real bad today. It could be an indication that they may not make it beyond the first weekend In March. Minnesota is not ranked, and represents the kind of team Maryland could easily face in the first two rounds. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Minnesota, much like Purdue, is a young, athletic team with multiple scoring threats that has gotten significantly better over the course of the season.

Who would have guessed that Nebraska and Minnesota would be tied for 3rd place in the Big Ten standings?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 10 is as good as some of the sports guru's think they are. Maryland has beaten on 2 ranked teams and that was Ohio State and Iowa, both Big 10 teams. Ohio State has beaten only 1 ranked team and that was Stanford twice. Minnesota has only beaten 2 ranked teams and both of them are from the Big 10, Maryland and Michigan. Nebraska has beaten 2 ranked teams, Rutgers and Iowa, again both are from the Big 10. Iowa has beaten 2 ranked teams, Michigan and Ohio State, Big 10 again. Michigan has beaten 1 ranked team and that was Ohio State. Purdue has beaten 4 ranked teams, Rutgers, Iowa, Michigan, and Maryland, again Big 10. Rutgers has beaten only 1 ranked team and that was Michigan. All eight of the teams I listed were recently projected to go to the dance in March, while only one team had defeated a ranked team outside of the Big 10, and I believe that if Ohio State and Standford played today on a neutral court Standford would win.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I don't think the Big 10 is as good as some of the sports guru's think they are. Maryland has beaten on 2 ranked teams and that was Ohio State and Iowa, both Big 10 teams. Ohio State has beaten only 1 ranked team and that was Stanford twice. Minnesota has only beaten 2 ranked teams and both of them are from the Big 10, Maryland and Michigan. Nebraska has beaten 2 ranked teams, Rutgers and Iowa, again both are from the Big 10. Iowa has beaten 2 ranked teams, Michigan and Ohio State, Big 10 again. Michigan has beaten 1 ranked team and that was Ohio State. Purdue has beaten 4 ranked teams, Rutgers, Iowa, Michigan, and Maryland, again Big 10. Rutgers has beaten only 1 ranked team and that was Michigan. All eight of the teams I listed were recently projected to go to the dance in March, while only one team had defeated a ranked team outside of the Big 10, and I believe that if Ohio State and Standford played today on a neutral court Standford would win.
I don't understand the implication that a team isn't any good unless it beats ranked teams outside of their conference.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't understand the implication that a team isn't any good unless it beats ranked teams outside of their conference.
I believe that the MAIN reason why some of these teams were ranked in the first place is because they are from the Big 10. The sports guru's put down the NON Power 5 conferences because they can't beat any of the ranked teams, so why don't they do the same for teams like the Big 10 that can't beat anyone EXCEPT ones in their conference.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I believe that the MAIN reason why some of these teams were ranked in the first place is because they are from the Big 10. The sports guru's put down the NON Power 5 conferences because they can't beat any of the ranked teams, so why don't they do the same for teams like the Big 10 that can't beat anyone EXCEPT ones in their conference.
Who are the non-power 5 teams that you think deserve to be ranked instead of the ranked Big Ten teams?

Marquette, a non-power 5 team, started out the season ranked, fairly highly in the mid-teens as I recall. But they lost their way out.

Plebe

Reaction Score
My question is, should anybody in the conference be ranked if the ENTIRE CONFERENCE has only one win vs. ranked teams outside the conference?
Which is the conference that this holds true for?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Which is the conference that this holds true for?

I based this assumption on the content of MSGRET's post. If it's not true of the Big 10, please correct me.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I based this assumption on the content of MSGRET's post. If it's not true of the Big 10, please correct me.
Ah, okay.

Well, he did mention Ohio State's two wins over Stanford. That's two right there.
He failed to mention Rutgers' win over NC State, which is currently a "ranked" team.
Michigan State also has a win over South Florida, another currently "ranked" team.

Reaction Score
AP rankings aren't that meaningful. If you go by RPI, the Big Ten are the third strongest conference.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who are the non-power 5 teams that you think deserve to be ranked instead of the ranked Big Ten teams?

Marquette, a non-power 5 team, started out the season ranked, fairly highly in the mid-teens as I recall. But they lost their way out.
And Michigan and Ohio State haven't? I betcha they will still be ranked while Green Bay will most likely fall out because of their loss to Cleveland State. Ohio State got smoked by USF, while UCF played USF into overtime today. During the USF/OS game the ESPN announcers said that while Ohio State got shellacked by USF, they should be able to recover playing in the Big 10. That makes me believe that they are saying that the Big 10 is an easier conference to play in.

Plebe

Reaction Score
And Michigan and Ohio State haven't? I betcha they will still be ranked while Green Bay will most likely fall out because of their loss to Cleveland State. Ohio State got smoked by USF, while UCF played USF into overtime today. During the USF/OS game the ESPN announcers said that while Ohio State got shellacked by USF, they should be able to recover playing in the Big 10. That makes me believe that they are saying that the Big 10 is an easier conference to play in.
I can assure you that the ESPN announcers were not saying that the Big Ten is an easier conference than the AAC.

And by the way, USF lost to Michigan State on a neutral court in a game that wasn't particularly competitive.

Michigan, from #23, will likely fall out of the rankings after their loss earlier in the week to Minnesota. Green Bay, from #19, has a shot at staying in even though Minnesota is a much better team than Cleveland State.

Reaction Score

Green Bay isn’t a part of the Big Ten.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Ah, okay.

Well, he did mention Ohio State's two wins over Stanford. That's two right there.
He failed to mention Rutgers' win over NC State, which is currently a "ranked" team.
Michigan State also has a win over South Florida, another currently "ranked" team.

Thanks, I stand corrected.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I can assure you that the ESPN announcers were not saying that the Big Ten is an easier conference than the AAC.

And by the way, USF lost to Michigan State on a neutral court in a game that wasn't particularly competitive.

Michigan, from #23, will likely fall out of the rankings after their loss earlier in the week to Minnesota. Green Bay, from #19, has a shot at staying in even though Minnesota is a much better team than Cleveland State.
Minnesota lost to the University of San Diego, who got beat by both Gonzaga and Saint Marys, while Green Bay has only one loss out of conference and that was against Miss St.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The B1G is a very odd conference. To begin with, in large part, on any given day . . . Since they joined, Maryland has been the class of the conference along with Ohio State; other teams seem to pop up from time to time (Iowa, Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue). But in general, the teams in the conference beat each other up. This hurts the B1G when it comes to NCAA's, of course, because beyond maybe the first 2 the teams don't often do a good job of differentiating themselves. The B1G is certainly not an easy conference to play in.

Some years ago, the B1G put a lot of effort into beefing up its OOC schedule, but that hasn't been the case of late. Playing in the ACC / B10 challenge of course helps, but the B1G does fairly poorly in that match-up.

Like many conferences, the B1G "favors" a certain style of play and I don't think this translates well OOC and in the tournament. The teams are not bad, per se, but they don't necessarily match up well (collectively) with other teams.

Ratings are subjective, but I haven't really felt that the B1G gets rankings that they don't deserve.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Minnesota lost to the University of San Diego, who got beat by both Gonzaga and Saint Marys, while Green Bay has only one loss out of conference and that was against Miss St.
Almost every team has at least one loss to a team that they should have beaten. By any objective measure Minnesota's overall resume is far better than Cleveland State's.

Green Bay did great in their nonconference and IMO deserved to be considered a top 16 team. However, they have since lost to Northern Kentucky (#271 in RPI) and Cleveland State (#117).

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Almost every team has at least one loss to a team that they should have beaten. By any objective measure Minnesota's overall resume is far better than Cleveland State's.

Green Bay did great in their nonconference and IMO deserved to be considered a top 16 team. However, they have since lost to Northern Kentucky (#271 in RPI) and Cleveland State (#117).
While Minnesota lost to USD (#184 in RPI) and UNC (#105), not much difference is there.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom