Maryland and Rutgers To Big 10? | The Boneyard

Maryland and Rutgers To Big 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
John A has a new blog entry indicating that Maryland will announce a move from the ACC to the Big 10, and the Rutgers will also move to the Big 10, giving that conference 14 teams. Supposedly this could all be official as soon as Tuesday.

There seems to be some thought that UConn might replace Maryland in the ACC.

Geno was quoted as saying that he was caught be surprise by this, despite his efforts to keep up with conference moves.

Certainly a surprise, at least to me.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
John A has a new blog entry indicating that Maryland will announce a move from the ACC to the Big 10, and the Rutgers will also move to the Big 10, giving that conference 14 teams. Supposedly this could all be official as soon as Tuesday.

There seems to be some thought that UConn might replace Maryland in the ACC.

Geno was quoted as saying that he was caught be surprise by this, despite his efforts to keep up with conference moves.

Certainly a surprise, at least to me.
It's been rumored and there was a thread on our board regarding it. IF we are lucky, Maryland will leave and UCONN will get invited to the ACC. That would be stellar...

Reaction Score
It's been rumored and there was a thread on our board regarding it. IF we are lucky, Maryland will leave and UCONN will get invited to the ACC. That would be stellar...
Unless you are a fan of a team remaining in the ACC. They are, for the most part, resoundingly against UConn joining.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
A lot of Rutgers wbb fans are for moving to the B10. I could see it happening.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
John A. Just catching up on a story I broke here on the board Sat. afternoon.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Yea, well who was the first to report HERE AT THE BONEYARD that Lincoln was shot...I get no credit for anything.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yea, well who was the first to report HERE AT THE BONEYARD that Lincoln was shot...I get no credit for anything.

It got lost in our in-depth review of the play--we were all snoozing by the time you got to " an annoying interruption in this otherwise fine performance occurred when one of the actors fired into the crowd and hit someone wearing a large hat."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Mrs. Lincoln and she pointed her finger directly at J W Booth and Tennessee.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Saw the Lincoln movie this weekend. Phenomenal. I'm going with Oscars for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress, Best Cinematography, Best Adaptation, Best Costume Design. Well, at least nominations. Probably get 2 for Best Supporting Actor.

Reaction Score
Unless you are a fan of a team remaining in the ACC. They are, for the most part, resoundingly against UConn joining.

Well, on the whole-the schools themselves would vote for our membership (especially if it comes down to us & Louisville-that's a big IF). That being said, I'm sure there are coaches in certain sports that would prefer us to remain in the NNNBE.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
The ACC and UConn would be good for each other imo. When Pitt and Syracuse jopined the ACC I heard that initially it was to be Syracuse and UConn.
The BC AD...now gone....had a fit with one of his objections being to having a geographic rival like UConn join. He apparently would object to the presence of both Duke and North Carolina in the league....about 10 miles apart. Just cannot have these awful geographic rivalries!!! I read today that Warde Manuel and the new BC AD are friends and I also get the idea that our very own Sue Herbst is an asset in this regard with her ACC ties.
I also read that big hitters such as Duke and Carolina are onboard with UConn joining.

Who knows what will happen but here's hoping. Old rivalries maintained....new ones formed. The UConn women would in particular spice up an already good league....I would think that would appeal to coaches down there.

Reaction Score
Maryland to B10 is official.
Should provide a much-needed upgrade to WCBB competition.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Now can we please get a UConn invite to the ACC?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Now can we please get a UConn invite to the ACC?
With the current state of the BE, I'd make that a pretty please.....

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Uconn is a great fit for the ACC in Basketball, but does it make sense for football. Looks to me, that the ACC might be better off, looking for a stronger football school if it hopes to improve their football. I'm not sure how much UConn adds to viewership in the NY Area when it comes to football.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I didn't see the timing of the MD move, did I miss it, or has it been mentioned elsewhere?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Uconn is a great fit for the ACC in Basketball, but does it make sense for football. Looks to me, that the ACC might be better off, looking for a stronger football school if it hopes to improve their football. I'm not sure how much UConn adds to viewership in the NY Area when it comes to football.
Who exactly are they going to add? The only school that even sort of makes sense would be Louisville. Louisville is certainly going to be looking for a place to land, but it's not like they're some tradition-rich powerhouse in football either. Nor, for that matter, is Pitt (1976 NC notwithstanding), Syracuse, or, for that matter, Maryland. No one from the B1G, Big XII, or SEC is going to join.

It makes sense to have a northeastern quartet of schools (Pitt, Cuse, UConn, BC) that have traditional rivalries and don't have to travel that far to get to one another (a consideration in the non-revenue sports). No, Uconn is not a great football commodity, but it's one of the few valuable properties left in the conference carousel.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If I shared my true feelings about Maryland leaving.... I'd get banned for a few days. :eek:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sources at Maryland believe the Terps will be able to negotiate the current $50 million exit fee from the ACC to a lower amount.

http://espn.go.com/college-spo...ten-sources-say

Let us review some facts and history with respect to the Athletic Department at the University of Maryland. An athletic department that:

- Was facing an operating deficit of $1.2 million from the previous year (as of September 2011);

- Was facing a $4.7 million budget deficit "this fiscal year" (as of November 2011)

- Eliminated seven varsity sports (men’s and women’s swimming; men’s tennis; women’s water polo; acrobatics/tumbling/competitive cheer; men's cross-country; and men's indoor track and field) because those programs did not show enough progress toward raising eight years’ worth of total costs by June 30, 2012; and

- Was facing concerns that the budget deficit could top $17 million by 2017 (as of June 2012)

...can either come up with the $50 million exit fee, have confidence in that it can negotiate a lower exit fee, or is willing to spend the money on attorneys to challenge the validity of the $50 million exit fee.

There were some great basketball games between Duke and Maryland on the men's side (most notably, the four games in 2000-2001). There were some good games on the women's side as well (most notably in 2006 and 2007, though I would like to forget the meeting from April 2006). I will not miss their men's basketball fans, however (or the rioting, for that matter). And I hope the ACC demands all $50 million and fights the already-financially strapped athletic department until the bitter end.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Louisville Might be Better Choice - LINk

Who exactly are they going to add? The only school that even sort of makes sense would be Louisville. Louisville is certainly going to be looking for a place to land, but it's not like they're some tradition-rich powerhouse in football either. Nor, for that matter, is Pitt (1976 NC notwithstanding), Syracuse, or, for that matter, Maryland. No one from the B1G, Big XII, or SEC is going to join.

It makes sense to have a northeastern quartet of schools (Pitt, Cuse, UConn, BC) that have traditional rivalries and don't have to travel that far to get to one another (a consideration in the non-revenue sports). No, Uconn is not a great football commodity, but it's one of the few valuable properties left in the conference carousel.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Maryland prez says B10 membership will allow it to reinstate cut teams. Bravo.

http://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs

Also read that Rutgers' invite to B1G was contingent upon MD going to B1G. Now that the Terps are, Rutgers to B1G could be as early as tomorrow.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

I cannot adequately express my sorrow that the highlighted phrase is actually germane to a discussion of college (educational institutions, are they?) sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom