Martin’s Layup Yips | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Martin’s Layup Yips

Reaction Score
He can have the yips he’s the only one that goes to the rack. Tough kid will make his share we should be happy he’s a Husky that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
Martin was great but I’d like him to get on those FT’s.

Reaction Score
Just no "touch" at release. Josh suffers with the same problem. Lack of aim and concentration perhaps? Or, simply just unable to lay the ball up in a soft manner in order to "get the roll". Add to that his 60% FT average....completely unacceptable. Both he and Cole missed 5 out of 8 FTs in the last 2 mins....make them all, they win.

Last edited:

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
If Josh Carlton needs a ride back home to NC, I'll warm up the car.
Why not more minutes for Akok Akok?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just no "touch" at release. Josh suffers with the same problem. Lack of aim and concentration perhaps? Or, simply just unable to lay the ball up in a soft manner in order to "get the roll". Add to that his 60% FT average....completely unacceptable. Both he and Cole missed 5 out of 8 FTs in the last 2 mins....make them all, they win.
Don’t disagree but Johnnie’s stud wasn’t great from the line either. I think Martin has bad technique. Too much palm and not enough fingers. Cole’s shot is not soft. If not straight in, he doesn’t get the roll.

Reaction Score
Very odd because he does everything very well until he releases the ball. And then at times its just atrocious. Like he'll miss everything from just a few feet away.

Martin either needs a shrink, or he needs to work on his vertical until he can just simply jump over everyone and dunk. I'm talking dunking from the foul line ability.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Very odd because he does everything very well until he releases the ball. And then at times its just atrocious. Like he'll miss everything from just a few feet away.

Martin either needs a shrink, or he needs to work on his vertical until he can just simply jump over everyone and dunk. I'm talking dunking from the foul line ability.
He’s like the most athletically unathletic person we’ve had since Sid Wilson.

Reaction Score
He also gets his shot blocked almost as much if not more than Cole. It’s bizarre. Someone needs to teach these players how to finish.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Do you know how many minutes Josh played today? He wasn't the problem.

Reaction Score
To be honest, Martin played pretty dam good today. Despite missing a few.

Reaction Score
He was a large part of it when he was on the court (thankfully not for very long). Sadly coach did not play Sonogo in his place.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score
Not many, but not effective when in the game. This his 4th year in the program.

arch

Reaction Score
Is Akok limited to one entry per game? Makes sense given that he’s recovering from a series injury?

Reaction Score
I don't know that, but he did not do much when he was playing. I think he may have gotten a rebound.

He was not able to block or alter the shot when the SJ guard drove in for a layup. Akok seemed to have the position, but could not execute. Dilemma between giving him minutes to get him back in shape vs. his being a non-performer and not helping the team. Hopefully, his play will improve. His injury was serious, so I guess it takes time to come back. He is not Kevin Durant. Even there, it took KD about 18 months.

Not sure who he substituted for, but for him to play longer, he has to show more on the court. Without JB, as another poster said, it takes almost a perfect game to pull out a win.

Reaction Score
In the post game report with Russ Steinberg and John Fanta they suggested that maybe the practices are so physical that Martin's is expecting the same contact in games and not getting it, resulting in the yips. ?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Don’t disagree but Johnnie’s stud wasn’t great from the line either. I think Martin has bad technique. Too much palm and not enough fingers. Cole’s shot is not soft. If not straight in, he doesn’t get the roll.
First I love Martin. He's the MIP as of now with Bouk out

I noticed that, more so with his free throw. He tends to have decent form from three, I mean mechanically everything looks good, including the flick release. His flick on the free throws is slower and as you said, a lot of palm.

Also, as the avatar title suggests such, and this goes for Josh, Whaley, and anyone else with a case of the yips. How bout a jump stop, organize the puppies, and then power-up and score?
Sure way to rid the yips, that, and running 100 sprints for every lay-up and free-throw missed.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
First I love Martin. He's the MIP as of now with Bouk out

I noticed that, more so with his free throw. He tends to have decent form from three, I mean mechanically everything looks good, including the flick release. His flick on the free throws is slower and as you said, a lot of palm.

Also, as the avatar title suggests such, and this goes for Josh, Whaley, and anyone else with a case of the yips. How bout a jump stop, organize the puppies, and then power-up and score?
Sure way to rid the yips, that, and running 100 sprints for every lay-up and free-throw missed.
Yep. I should have been more clear. I was talking about free throws for both Martin and Cole, although I think generally Cole doesn’t put a lot of touch on his shots. He’s fairly accurate but if he catches any rim not too likely to drop.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom