Marshall Out - Shooter Etienne Available | The Boneyard

Marshall Out - Shooter Etienne Available

Reaction Score
Hey guys,

Wichita State's jerk of a coach Gregg Marshall just "resigned" after a long list of terrible player-abuse incidents.

Tyson Etienne is a player who is immediately available to transfer & also be immediately eligible to play this season.

Etienne is a proven great outside shooter (standing or off the dribble) & a pressure defender who can also drive! Consistent, outside shooters have been in short supply at UConn in recent years (decades).

UConn coaches know Tyson Etienne because he's a NYC area kid who went to high school @ perennial NYS champs Long Island Lutheran. And Etienne also prepped right up the road at Putnam Prep, attending many UConn games while there. UConn lightly recruited Etienne, IMO, because they were late to the table.

I think now would be a great time to really go after Tyson Etienne for immediate help with the Huskies outside shooting woes.

Unlike Tyler Polley, Etienne can shoot off the dribble too & is a physical, tough defender. He averaged over 20 ppg. against the best competition in high school. And Etienne averaged 11 ppg. as Wichita State's outside threat as a freshman last season. He has three years of eligibility left.

Plus, with this season looking the be almost certainly postponed, UConn would have more practice time to fully integrate Etienne into their system.

Tyson Etienne at UConn could really be a win-win. I hope Hurley is on it!

Fatha Demo

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rico444, thanks for the reminder on available scholarships. But UConn does need good outside shooters. Should we stop looking for a good one, if available?

Fishy, when a coach is fired today, anything is possible for the players left behind. Depends on whether the new destination coach wants him bad enough. Then the admissions office usually rubber stamps it. Of course, grades don't matter that much today really.

Note: Some fifty years ago, I transferred out of a bad situation at a Southern school just before Christmas of my Sophomore year. I applied for & received a medical waiver (I'd had a knee operation earlier that year), & was playing for NYU during the Spring semester of that very same season. Anything is possible today.

Etienne is immediately available because Marshall was fired. I hope UConn makes a note of that & at least tries to make contact. And I hope Etienne decides to transfer out of Wichita State.

Huskyforlife? Etienne is a great outside shooter. He played on a Wichita State team last year as a freshman that was full of selfish, "me-first" chuckers. So he didn't always get good passes, percentage shots or even many looks. A starter for many games. Etienne was first off the bench for the Shockers, playing just under half a game. Eleven ppg. was pretty good for his situation & minutes. I'm sure the Huskies could use his shooting skills & toughness. 40% three-point shooters are very hard to find.

RE: Comparison w/ Tyler Polley. Cannot. Different positions & body types. But Etienne gets far more out of his 6'2" body on both ends than Polley has shown with his considerable gifts at 6'8" & plays with lots more heart than him, except in that one big game last year.

Etienne can shoot much better & can finish on the move too, & he guards - things that Polley cannot do well. UConn needs good long-distance shooters. Etienne has three years of eligibility left if he leaves. A possibility.

PS: Should I not attempt to post here because you thought it was "quite the post?" I know when I've been licked.

Fatha Demo

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Your experience in Division Nothing notwithstanding, I promise you that he cannot transfer now and play here this year. UConn is what we refer to as a college and it has things called semesters and those things somehow confound the November transfer market.

Add in that UConn is fully subscribed and that they basically have better options than Etienne all over the map and I think the dream will not see the light of day.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rico444, thanks for the reminder on available scholarships. But UConn does need good outside shooters. Should we stop looking for a good one, if available?

We should continue looking for good shooters, and good players in general, but I would say our roster for this year is definitely finalized.

Reaction Score
Hey guys,

Wichita State's jerk of a coach Gregg Marshall just "resigned" after a long list of terrible player-abuse incidents.

Tyson Etienne is a player who is immediately available to transfer & also be immediately eligible to play this season.

Etienne is a proven great outside shooter (standing or off the dribble) & a pressure defender who can also drive! Consistent, outside shooters have been in short supply at UConn in recent years (decades).

UConn coaches know Tyson Etienne because he's a NYC area kid who went to high school @ perennial NYS champs Long Island Lutheran. And Etienne also prepped right up the road at Putnam Prep, attending many UConn games while there. UConn lightly recruited Etienne, IMO, because they were late to the table.

I think now would be a great time to really go after Tyson Etienne for immediate help with the Huskies outside shooting woes.

Unlike Tyler Polley, Etienne can shoot off the dribble too & is a physical, tough defender. He averaged over 20 ppg. against the best competition in high school. And Etienne averaged 11 ppg. as Wichita State's outside threat as a freshman last season. He has three years of eligibility left.

Plus, with this season looking the be almost certainly postponed, UConn would have more practice time to fully integrate Etienne into their system.

Fatha Demo
I thought Etienne was a very good player, one of the better guards on that team last year. Tough defender, good handle, aggressive, UConn's guards had their hands full with him.

Reaction Score
Could he transfer and play next year?
Aren't we looking for one more possible addition for next year?

Reaction Score
Hey guys,

Fatha Demo
We dont need anyone this year!

Reaction Score
Maybe he'll go to Ilinois with Mac and they can have Deux Etienne..................or is it Etienne Deux?:rolleyes:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Could he transfer and play next year?
Aren't we looking for one more possible addition for next year?

He would need to transfer after the season, since we don't have any scholarships available this academic year, but yes that would be a possibility.

Reaction Score
Does NYU have any sports teams?
I wouldn't think that would fit their "social values"
Division 3 teams. Is NYU the largest university in D3? The number of undergraduates they have dwarfs most D3 schools.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If he was saddled playing for a jerk coach, his situation just got better, not worse. So why be granted a hardship?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'd rather Uconn go get Shooter McGavin.

Reaction Score
The assistant is now the head coach. He likely recruited him.

C

Chief00

I am not making a judgement on this particular player but please keep in mind Tom Moore is not exactly a stranger at PSA. A PSA player would not likely slip under our radar screen. If a player is talented, UConn makes an evaluation of his fit at UConn and our needs. Could we be wrong or things change, that’s always possible but right now with games hopefully coming up soon and practice resuming tomorrow after a 2 week suspension, I would be surprise if this is on the front burner.

I will probably get myself misunderstood and in trouble here and they are both favorable characterizations. But, here it goes: Danny is a coach that has a script - coaches set by May (didn’t like the Hunter thing), at least 2 recruits by September but preferably 3 and then a tightly planned practice parade to the season starts - so he’s not thrilled about the last 2 weeks. Calhoun on the other hand was a pure opportunist. He followed his principles, which definitely included a focus on doing what it took to win, even if it was disruptive. OK, I will duck for the incoming fire.

Reaction Score
I am not making a judgement on this particular player but please keep in mind Tom Moore is not exactly a stranger at PSA. A PSA player would not likely slip under our radar screen. If a player is talented, UConn makes an evaluation of his fit at UConn and our needs. Could we be wrong or things change, that’s always possible but right now with games hopefully coming up soon and practice resuming tomorrow after a 2 week suspension, I would be surprise if this is on the front burner.

I will probably get myself misunderstood and in trouble here and they are both favorable characterizations. But, here it goes: Danny is a coach that has a script - coaches set by May (didn’t like the Hunter thing), at least 2 recruits by September but preferably 3 and then a tightly planned practice parade to the season starts - so he’s not thrilled about the last 2 weeks. Calhoun on the other hand was a pure opportunist. He followed his principles, which definitely included a focus on doing what it took to win, even if it was disruptive. OK, I will duck for the incoming fire.
As one of your biggest critics let me be the first to comment....this could be my favorite post of yours ever. You actually said something without trying to teeter on top of fence and not about yourself. Excellent post mr chief

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom