Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette - UConn Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not only was this a tremendous game, but I’m optimistic about AE coming back tomorrow. I think if she were out tomorrow, Geno would have rested Ice instead of Nika the last three minutes.

Reaction Score
Paige was magnificent. I’m sorry but how she plays the game and her impact is just so big. Most important player for her team in the nation. I know she doesn’t have any championships but you cannot deny what the eye tells you. She is to me on the mt Rushmore of Uconn players.

Proud of how everyone played. I’ve was active and played great defense the whole game! It’s like seeing someone totally different out there and god just in the nick of time.

I think Shade is still playing a little too tentative but continues to be solid.

After KK picked up her third it seems she was too down on herself the rest of the game and it affected her. She missed a point blank layup and played a little bit out of control. Maybe she’s dealing with that thigh injury so I’ll give her a pass.

Q was solid. Hope she can build and hit her open shots. She fights for rebounds which I like about her.

Nika was great in D. A could have bad passes but her D was great.

They will be tired for tomorrow but I think this next game should be better offensively since they’ve played one game with this new line up. I expect KK to come out lights out.

Reaction Score
I posted this on the BADASS thread but it also applies here:

IMHO the whole 7 eligible players deserve a piece of the BAD ASS Award!
One of the 10 best players in Division I WBB is out and they played with such tenacity,giant hearts to play possibly the greatest defensive game in the history of WCBB!
Holding a really good offensive team to 29 points and NO POINTS for the last 15 minutes, I was crying for the last 15 minutes! I am so proud of them! Geno was almost speechless at the end interview! It was beyond belief!
After KK got her 3rd foul and went out with Geno pi--ed, Paige Bueckers showed her heart and leadership by talking to KK on the bench encouraging her to hang in there!
What ever happens the rest of this season nobody on the BY should give any player some grief about their play, after our girls gave us that performance today
UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!

Reaction Score
I wonder what the record is for the longest period of time holding an opponent scoreless at the END of a game. (Here it was 15 minutes and 9 seconds.)

In a perfect world, Aaliyah would rest tomorrow, after a brief Willis Reed-type cameo appearance at the start.

So proud of this team.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I will also say, that Paige proved why she was the BE POY and left a great impression for the writers on the voting for the AP and WBCA teams…just sayin as if there was any doubt…

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
I posted this on the BADASS thread but it also applies here:

IMHO the whole 7 eligible players deserve a piece of the BAD ASS Award!
One of the 10 best players in Division I WBB is out and they played with such tenacity,giant hearts to play possibly the greatest defensive game in the history of WCBB!
Holding a really good offensive team to 29 points and NO POINTS for the last 15 minutes, I was crying for the last 15 minutes! I am so proud of them! Geno was almost speechless at the end interview! It was beyond belief!
After KK got her 3rd foul and went out with Geno pi--ed, Paige Bueckers showed her heart and leadership by talking to KK on the bench encouraging her to hang in there!
What ever happens the rest of this season nobody on the BY should give any player some grief about their play, after our girls gave us that performance today
UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE!
1962 Grad Siesta Key Fl since 1994, fan since before Geno Most extraordinary game ever seen !!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm going out on a limb here but I think Coach Geno might be in the midst of his finest coaching stretch. I can't ever remember a season with this much adversity to overcome. Kudos to the coaches and team for their superlative performances under fire. Husky Nation salutes your effort and determination.
Yeah, pretty impressive...
But remember, he did say (post-game interview) that
Marquette had a tough game of their own, last night.
The overall fitness of the UConn 6 was pretty impressive this afternoon

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I’d like to give UConn all the credit for throttling Marquette’s offense. But I think the golden eagles also came out a bit flat all by themselves. And they looked tired for much of the game.

Paige was magnificent and Ice was really good and KK and Ash and Nika did what they needed to. And Q had 5 points!
The post game press conference is all gold.
Paraphrasing what Geno said "We didn't start the way we thought we would. During the season we'd go out aggressive, but we decided we couldn't because of the threat of foul trouble. But, right before the game, Is said let's not change. And that's what they all wanted to do. They just nodded.

Because of that start, it put the pressure on Marquette to make shots. And it's hard to play the entire game like that."

Reaction Score
Just got home from the game and my impression was that this is the most intentional effort I have ever seen by a UConn squad. Every possession was deliberate to the nth degree. In no case did they allow themselves to be rushed. For the eagles it must have felt like root canal for forty minutes.

Reaction Score
The most amazing thing to me was we set this defensive record when if anything we should have been the team running out of gas at the end because of our injuries and the short bench. It appears it was just the opposite. Tremendous shout out to the team's conditioning, grit and determination.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I didn't know what to expect with Aaliyah out. Now I and I beleive everybody else knows.

I don't think I have every seen, at least this season, such a dominant defensive game by one team. Marquette was shut off at every turn. Shots were contested. Passing lanes were not there. A lot of errant passes forced. I mean hold a team to 22% shooting for the game. You could see at the start of the 3rd quarter, we were in the heads and they were frustrated. AND, holding them scoreless the entire 4th quarter. We all know Marquette is a very good and well coached team. Amazing.

Start with Paige. OMG - is there anything she can't do???? She shot 11 - 16. How efficient can you get? A POY performance!!

Ice - what a game she played - all 40 minutes. Her defense down low completely limited Karlan and any other player near the basket. Hands up, sliding her feet to get in good position . You couldn't ask for more. And 10 points and 5 boards.

Everybody contributed to this win.

Either Creighton or Seton Hall - bring it on!!
It's either Creighton or Georgetown tomorrow. Georgetown is leading at the half 26-23, so both of these teams may be as tired as UConn is after this game and will have 3 hours less rest.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Got to mention that end of the quarter buzzer beater 3 by Paige. Sort of a twisting fall away. Unbelievable. And we have her for another year, also unbelievable..
I believe that was the shot that put the dagger in the back of Marquette. If you watched their players walking back to the bench every one of them had their heads down. It took the air out of their sails and they weren't the same the rest of the game.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I still believe that Paige is the best player in basketball. She went 11-16, 3-5 from 3 scoring 27 pts. in 37 minutes of play. Compare that to Clark's game today where she went 12-29, 5-17 from 3 scoring 34 pts. in 44 minutes of play.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Can't find a box score....can someone link it?

I believe our first NCAA game will be either Friday or Saturday March 22/23.
Plenty of rest...plenty of time for Aaliyah to recover....Geno's comments on her return seemed
very hopeful.

Great effort all-round today. KK had one of her best games Saturday...I bet Monday she will be emulating
that one.

Reaction Score
Can't find a box score....can someone link it?

I believe our first NCAA game will be either Friday or Saturday March 22/23.
Plenty of rest...plenty of time for Aaliyah to recover....Geno's comments on her return seemed
very hopeful.

Great effort all-round today. KK had one of her best games Saturday...I bet Monday she will be emulating
that one.

Reaction Score
It was really nice to hear Geno speak so positively about Jana at the end of the postgame interview. He said we’re going to love her. Hopefully there is still a lot of basketball left this season but then it’s going to be quite an offseason speculating about the potential greatness for next season.

Reaction Score
I realize that it is in the pedigree of players who Geno recruits. But the one quality that stood out in UCONN's freshmen is fearlessness. All four of them play with a confidence that is rare for 1st year players.
We knew about Shade & KK. But any thought that the stage might be too big for Ice was dispelled. Quadence came off the bench and played with no hesitation.
They are still learning on the job, but they won't be afraid in the big moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom