Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It wasn’t an ugly game. Marquette played well. We won because we had taller players. The NCAA tourney is coming up. Get used to it.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
It wasn’t an ugly game. Marquette played well. We won because we had taller players. The NCAA tourney is coming up. Get used to it.

Pretty ugly for UConn: 41% FG, 3-16 on 3's, 12 assists to 15 turnovers. If that's what Marquette's defense can do I shudder to think of UConn facing Stanford.

Reaction Score
One thing I noticed, passes that normally work against weaker teams, resulted in turnovers tonight. You have to worry that by playing weaker teams, UConn gets a false sense of what will work and what doesn't against the better teams.

huh???????????????

Anytime a top team ends up getting upset you can point to a phase of the game that they didn't play as well.

For example, do you really think UCONN is going to crush SC, Baylor, Stanford or NC State on the glass in any manner like they did vs Marquette as well? Thus- power rebounding like what happened vs Marquette in which UCONN totally wiped them out - won't work against the better teams too, right?

And at the other end if UCONN were to win they are going to take away another team's strength's too, right?

It's just that UCONN tends to take away the other teams strengths more than theirs get taken away over the last 20+ years, right?

Reaction Score
If Azzi is half as good as people say, CW's minutes will be way down next season.
I doubt this very much. Paige and Azzi are super shooters. CWill is a terrific driver. She'll be able to play off of them.

And her minutes will be down because UCONN is going to blow teams out much earlier and won't need to push their starters as much in order to change how they play.

Reaction Score
MU was the better team the last three quarters.
Despite the fact that they missed about 6 gimme shots.

Great game from ONA and AE and some good minutes from AG. Otherwise: burn the game film and move on.

Reaction Score
The team needs to rest. Paige looked incredibly sluggish. Said earlier in the year not to wear her out. Not the performance of the number one team, but UConn still managed to win. Marquette wasn't going to play as poorly as last time. Nika regressing. Move your feet, Nika. Stop hitting the player you're guarding.
This team does need a rest! They look (all except Liv & AE) like they are just fried! I am hoping they can get their legs back and (more important) get their mental edge back to where it was earlier in the season. Also hoping for a healthy, well rested Anna!

Reaction Score
The passing numbers were what jumped out at me. 12 assists (season low) on 28 field goals, with 15 assists. Last game that bad was last season's loss to Baylor.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Mama said there'd be days like this...
  • We've been talking all year about the importance of knocking down shots. Remember when we were the "worst shooting team in the history of teams". Then, for a couple weeks, we weren't. Now, maybe we are again. Hopefully, tonight's 3-16 is a function of tired legs.
  • Forcing the defense to close out on the arc is important, especially for Christyn's driving game and for opening up cutting/passing lanes for assists. Maybe a dose of tournament adrenaline will pick them up.
  • Aaliyah has really stepped up to fill a void on this team with her effort not just on the offensive glass but on the defensive end and running the court. She hedges off screens like Isiah Whaley - really fun to watch.
  • Nika still looks like she wants to throw a highlight reel pass on every possession; she also tends to launch herself into the lane a lot with no idea of what's going to happen when she gets there. I still think Geno is playing her at point to try and get more shots for Paige but I'm not sure it's working. I wonder what her +/- is? Also, I can't imaging Nika's body language is doing her any favors with the refs...
  • I love the boneyard drama as much as anybody, but calling any of these kids 'no shows' or 'soft' or 'lacking in effort' isn't really justified imo. Some people here act like someone's taking their lunch money. They don't owe us a fifty-point win every time out.
  • Obviously, we're going to have to win at least a couple of competitive games to get #12. Not a slam dunk, but I still like our chances.
  • I wouldn't be surprised if Geno isn't just a tiny bit pleased (secretly) that they got pushed a little bit heading into the tournaments.
  • Hoping Evina's not hurt to the point of having to miss any time. Having her on the floor is important even when she isn't looking to score.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Uconn just beat a good, determined, physical team by double digits essentially at their own game. IMO, they showed the mental toughness needed to win an ugly game when things aren’t all peaches and cream. Mental toughness that can win a NC. The entire backcourt played very poorly offensively but not one of the four hung their heads and stopped playing hard and tough. At least for me, I feel better about their chances after last night than before it. Defense and rebounding win, IMO offense is for the uninitiated casual observer. Personally, I enjoyed the heck out of the game, much more than any of the 20-40 point blowouts. An eye test, effort and determination game, not a stats game.
And one last point, I rarely watch games with the sound on but will always start doing so for announcers I am unfamiliar with; last night I left the sound on all game without even realizing it, so kudos to them.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those saying ESPN does not favorably cover UConn (or Paige) due to FOX affiliation, SC keeps the spotlight on Paige and the team even after a lukewarm game. Also, Sue Bird invited on to speak about her career, new contract (said no other team offered her anything) and a little on Paige and being a Freshman at UConn, Sue put a bit of a target on Paige's back. Said if Paige could enter the draft today, she would be picked #1.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Exactly, this year she is what she is and we love her defense and rebounding. this offseason she needs to figure out how she can get better offensively. Foul line jumper, taking her big outside and driving to the rim because she is very quick. Just have some way to consistently score on offense.
Not just that when they are trying to run offense she just runs around like she has no idea. Great in helter skelter.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Your point number 2 was what I was thinking except more in line that Marquette appears to be the BE's UCF. I thought a couple of our players kept getting mugged (esp. Paige) and the refs swallowed their whistles.
I think it was an off night for Nika because she was called on a couple fouls that she didn't like, which is normal, but she seemed a bit more madder early tonight.
Another reason about getting mugged (or whatever you want to call it), most times that Liv was near the basket without the ball, from the start of the game, their defender had her forearm up against Liv's back and it was never called. FFW to the 3rd or 4th quarter, Nika did a quick hand check and was blown for a foul. But these didn't affect the game, I guess...

I usually look forward to the replays of our game wins, but I may have to skip tonight's game...
Nika's got a foul for responding to an elbow being thrown at her
Liv on one sequence got shoved so hard her head snapped back, whip lash, no foul called

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
1 player, Liv, being pushed by players that outweighed her, on average Marquette was taller

Reaction Score
This is a very young team. Last night was a preview of what could happen on a night where Paige is off, the opponent has a great defender on her or is able to effectively deny her the ball. In that situation, others have to make some outside shots. And the stats indicate that other than Paige, our outside shooting, especially three's is suspect.

Easy to forget Uconn did not win it all with Kia, Gabby, Crystal, Napheesa, Azura and KLS. Given the uncertainty of this crazy year it is possible this year's team could do it. We shall see over the next month or so.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
1 Azzi talk as the next great thing should stop for 9 months, hasn't played in awhile, coming back from major injury, still hasn't played a minute at UConn
2 all the other top teams have lost, A few to very mediocre teams.
3 my opinion only Baylor and A&M look now the toughest teams
4 most should wait to read the box score and listen to Geno's post game comments and press conference, many assumptions would disappear

Reaction Score
After a string of well played games by Christyn, you are going to make a decision like that because of one game? Man, UConn fans are unreasonable for sure.
Ok, I get where you’re coming from. But! Those last several teams were not good tests to see how we’re doing at this stage of the game. These were teams that we SHOULDN’T have had any trouble with. We need people who can ‘step up’ when Paige or another are having a difficult night. Even Christyn said so herself, that the weight shouldn’t always be carried by Paige. I don’t see this in Christyn. She still shy’s away from shooting AND especially, driving to the basket. IMO, Marquette didn’t play above their level. WE played well below ours, making it look like they were the better team tonight.

Reaction Score
The wonderful thing about this team is as they struggle they grow. While Paige is the acknowledged leader, the growth of Liv and AE is now there to pick up the slack when the opportunity presents itself. AG is a force of nature which will only get better as her offense develops. Nika is learning to channel some of that anger into defense. CW has a skill set that shines at times but her defense is always there. Grandma Evina is that steady player that a young team needs. They are good enough to beat anybody.

Reaction Score
This game reminded me of when we used to play ND. (Wonder why?) Don't cover our worst shooters and "Over" cover our best offensive players.
Very physical. Marquette would foul on every drive to the basket, with the idea the refs wouldn't call everything. They didn't.
Geno basically said, "You want physical?" We got AE and Liv. Bring it on"
Game never felt close to me, up by 12-15 most of the game, they cut it to 7 (44-37) and we ran it back up. This team was 17-4, no a slouch.
Even though it wasn't a masterpiece, a W is a W.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I am continually amazed at the number of posters, couch coaches, who give our opponents absolutely no credit for being a good team. Its always someone who didn't do what they were supposed to or play up to expectations.

And when all else fails, blame Geno or a poor coaching job.

Marquette is a very good team. Duffy is a very good coach. You can see the ND influence in Marquette's play. Give credit were credit is due.

Reaction Score
Every game is not going to be a thing of beauty. Also, 50% shooting is great, 9 for 18. Some of you need to stop expecting this team to perform so highly every game. Baylor struggled with a Texas team they beat previously by over twenty. They won by seven. The team did seem to lack energy but there must have been a reason for that. When Evina, Williams, and Bueckers have shooting nights like they had tonight UConn will struggle. Even Maryland struggled Sunday. We should get used to it.
Our bigs won this game easily. They dominated inside, got us second shots on a guard poor shooting night. At least one portion of our game was well oiled and made the difference. Give credit to Marquette, they played hard and gave us a good work-over, toughened us up and gave the team some advance warning of tournament games to come. Our guards made some steals but didn't convert. That prevented us from opening the game up. They were not easy break-a-ways nor will they be late in the Tourney's.
As Geno was trying to run down the clock our offense stalled. Our guards stopped looking to score, just passing back and forth under shot clock pressure. For this entire second half we couldn't run our offense. We also were sloppy at times getting the ball in play. Shades of some earlier tight games were in evidence. With some down time we will get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom