Marquette Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • The Golden Eagles are a physical, well-coached team that plays really hard. This was a nice road win for the Huskies.
  • Nika is one BADASS defender with an attitude. She harassed Marquette all game long.
  • Paige with a “ho-hum” 30 pts on 12/18 shooting. When she made that reverse layup switching the ball from her left hand to her right hand in mid-air, the entire Marquette bench did a doubletake in amazement.
  • Christyn continues to attack the basket effectively, which raises her game to another level.
  • Aaliyah picks up her first of what will undoubtedly be multiple purple hearts at UConn.
  • UConn has now fielded 6 different starting lineups in, I believe 14 games. This is a rarity for a Geno Auriemma coached team. In part it is the result of some injuries, but it also reflects the depth this team possesses.
  • Saylor knocks down the first of what will hopefully be many treys.
  • Bring on the Gamecocks!!!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This was my closest prediction game (this year i've been way off more than I've been on). I said 86-60.

Paige freakin' Bueckers. I'm on a campaign for NPOY for her. Not only is her shooting of the 3 insane, she shot 12-18 for the game. Compare her efficiency to ANY other top NPOY candidate, including post players, and I bet her numbers are comparable. IMHO she's the best player in the nation.

Nika freakin' Muhl! 8 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 5 steals - if she keeps improving at this pace, she will be 2nd team AA in no time! LOL I do wonder if Paige's heady shooting numbers are a direct result of Nika starting as the PG. But Nika's defense was really good.

I will say this for Christyn - I don't mind that she missed all her 3 point attempts (0-3) because she shot 8-12 and drove a lot and did other types of offense. I don't mean to criticize her, but she's simply NOT a good 3-point shooter. Sure she can be on some nights, but I sure hope the days of "bombs away" are over for her because she's really good when she's dialed in doing other things.

I like Liya and Liv on the floor together. I love that Geno has Aubrey, Liv, Aaliyah and Mir to mix and match. I'm of the opinion that Liya has more potential and is almost a better option than Liv, but Liv tries really hard.

Saylor - YAY! Her first points in a UCONN uniform! good for her!

I thought that even without Anna and Aubrey, this game should not have been close, and it really wasn't. Marquette made some runs, and had it close in the first Q, but UCONN closed out the quarters well for the most part, even Q3 when I thought our defense slipped.

Great prep game for SC coming up. Marquette is good. A tad too physical for my liking tho, but they are well coached and aggressive... Ok let's get SC!!

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno was prepping for So Carolina and it seems he found a lineup in which he’s got confidence.

The Gamecocks have seen Liv but they haven’t met Aaliyah Edwards yet. ?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That 3 for Saylor was fast, so we've seen a little of her value. I liked her defense too.
Saylor like Paige has long arms and the size she's listed is her actual size. She can shoot the three, her early misses notwithstanding. But her defense on the wing is going to be her calling card. She's too big on offense for combo guards and too quick for most wings. She's going to be a handful. And as you see, she gets her shot off quick. I'd like to see her pull up and her dribble drive. By the way, next year you'll see Azzi's power drive is one of the best in WCBB.

AgStatesman

The Boards Most Rational Poster
Reaction Score
No more Freshman of the Week for Paige. She HAS to be the Player of the Week. That opens the door for Nika to be Freshman of the Week.

I agree with Paige being National Player of Year. She won't get it, but she deserves it.

Playing on a regular schedule has done a world of good for this team. Geno talked about how he likes the team to look good when they play and they finally are.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Paige makes everyone better says Geno, but Nika makes Paige better. This 1-2 combo is dynamite. Happy for Saylor to get that monkey off her back. Hope AE has her teeth tomorrow. Christyn cutting to basket again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom