Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Is it me or these networks only list and speak to negative UConn stats?
We have not beaten a ranked team on the road since 2014. Not understanding how going to Seattle to beat Gonzaga is not considered a road game.
They never list any negatives about our opponents. When was the last time Marquette won a national title?
Just us.
It’s you. Typical paranoia

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Our win probability was never below 90%!
Thank you for this.

For the purpose of sharing it with someone who was quite agitated as the game was coming to a close, where would I find a source for something like this? I'm familiar with win probability graphs when I actually see them, but I'm ignorant enough that I don't know how or where to quickly locate them. My guess is that's it's because I don't bet, and that they are very easy to find.

For further context I imagined that things weren't worrisome in a, "Relax, little sister, it may not look good, and it might make you feel uncomfortable, but at this point, it's very (very) unlikely that there's enough time for Marquette to catch up, and coaches will deal with improving the response to late game traps starting tomorrow" kind of way.

Your simple sentence with a graphic would help. TIA.

Reaction Score
Thank you for this.

For the purpose of sharing it with someone who was quite agitated as the game was coming to a close, where would I find a source for something like this? I'm familiar with win probability graphs when I actually see them, but I'm ignorant enough that I don't know how or where to quickly locate them. My guess is that's it's because I don't bet, and that they are very easy to find.

For further context I imagined that things weren't worrisome in a, "Relax, little sister, it may not look good, and it might make you feel uncomfortable, but at this point, it's very (very) unlikely that there's enough time for Marquette to catch up, and coaches will deal with improving the response to late game traps starting tomorrow" kind of way.

Your simple sentence with a graphic would help. TIA.
IESPN gamecast has it, I believe.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I guess there's a "sliding doors" reality where we don't slow the game down at the end, and we take a relatively quick shot that takes a bad bounce and ends up with a quick three at the other end... then it happens again and the lead is reduced by 6 points in like 30 seconds.

The slowdown gives me an anxiety attack too, but it's a calculated risk that always seems to end with victory. Of course it would have helped this time if the referees weren't suddenly so laissez faire with the whistles. Tristen must have felt like his arms were being hit by weed whackers.

Reaction Score
The slowdown gives me an anxiety attack too, but it's a calculated risk that always seems to end with victory. Of course it would have helped this time if the referees weren't suddenly so laissez faire with the whistles. Tristen must have felt like his arms were being hit by weed whackers.

It helps when you've got 3 team fouls with 5 minutes left. You can be very aggressive on steals and traps and you're not giving away points at the line.

They had decent looks down the stretch. This idea that they went into a Dean Smith four corners with 5 minutes left is overblown. Spencer had about as wide open a three as he's had all season, he just bricked it.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
It helps when you've got 3 team fouls with 5 minutes left. You can be very aggressive on steals and traps and you're not giving away points at the line.

They had decent looks down the stretch. This idea that they went into a Dean Smith four corners with 5 minutes left is overblown. Spencer had about as wide open a three as he's had all season, he just bricked it.
yup. my confidence in that three going in was like 150% too. the bench was ready to go nuts.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Newton needs to wake up at the end of the game ! He had the ball taken out of his hands and held the ball too long on the inbound plays. He was lucky that they didn't call a tie up when he held the ball too long. He is lazy at times .
I see things differently and invite you to expand your consciousness.

Consider that Tristen Newton is an old soul descended from a lineage that travels the space ways from planet to planet.

Reaction Score
Yeah I mean Cam had an absurdly open 3 that he missed that he would hit 8/10 times.

Reaction Score
There’s a strong correlation between becoming a main guy for Hurley and raising your level of play. Which is why I’m not worried about Solo or Stewart or Ross next year. They just need the leash and they’ll be good.

We just desperately need a big.

While I agree 100% we need a big,, we're not at all "desperate". I hate that term especially now that we're clearly back as a CBB superpower.

We're the reigning National Champs with a 27-3 record and the odds-on favorite to win the NCAAT. So much palpable buzz around the program it's crazy!

We will have the pick of the portal for a quality Big that will complement our top-tier offensive and defensive systems.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Alex also had a wide open three he missed. Make those two threes and this discussion doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
My favorite part was watching Spencer, when the clock hit zero, look immediately at the student section and then point at the exit for them
Yeah, especially after they were chanting “F Cam Spencer” for a very extended period after the Technical across multiple possessions. The reds should not have let it go on as long as it did.

Reaction Score
While I agree 100% we need a big,, we're not at all "desperate". I hate that term especially now that we're clearly back as a CBB superpower.

We're the reigning National Champs with a 27-3 record and the odds-on favorite to win the NCAAT. So much palpable buzz around the program it's crazy!

We will have the pick of the portal for a quality Big that will complement our top-tier offensive and defensive systems.

If we had our pick of the portal last year, we would have had Timberlake and not had Spenczar. Luck, as always, will play a role.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If we had our pick of the portal last year, we would have had Timberlake and not had Spenczar. Luck, as always, will play a role.
Exactly. If anybody is a UConn fan they will remember how much the luck factor has played in our successes and failures.

I'm confident that the staff will identify and target positions of need and go to the transfer portal to fill those needs. I'm confident they'll work hard to identify the best candidates and work hard to convince them to come to UConn. I'm not as confident they can always identify the best candidates. And I'm less confident they can always get them.

It's incredible we've had the success we've had considering how often professional sports teams with significantly more resources fail in this endeavor.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm not as confident they can always identify the best candidates. And I'm less confident they can always get them.
Questioning the staff? Who are you and what have you done with ctchamps???

Reaction Score
Exactly. If anybody is a UConn fan they will remember how much the luck factor has played in our successes and failures.

I'm confident that the staff will identify and target positions of need and go to the transfer portal to fill those needs. I'm confident they'll work hard to identify the best candidates and work hard to convince them to come to UConn. I'm not as confident they can always identify the best candidates. And I'm less confident they can always get them.

It's incredible we've had the success we've had considering how often professional sports teams with significantly more resources fail in this endeavor.
We've been about the least lucky school around, we win in spite of all the curveballs and cr@p that has been slung our way.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
We've been about the least lucky school around, we win in spite of all the curveballs and cr@p that has been slung our way.
I'm well aware of the cr@p. Nothing worse than getting a postseason ban after the review of our academic scores and having them retroactively applied while UNC skated after proof that players were taking bogus classes and tests. Or sanctions from impermissible texts and the airfare tickets to Moore and King that resulted in suspensions but when there was FBI proof of payoffs by Kansas nothing happened. And conference realignment pushing us into a badly contrived AAC. Getting placed in regions and having to play against equivalent ranked teams on essentially their home courts. Finally starting to get venues where we have the home cooking.

The good luck was ending up with Cam and not Timberlake; Jeremy instead of Doron; WV getting Hinds so we get Boatright; losing Floyd and Akok but getting Alleyn and Joey.

I believe there were one or two other players that were important in getting NCs but we only got them after our first choices failed - players who didn't pan out in college.

Reaction Score
The good luck was ending up with Cam and not Timberlake; Jeremy instead of Doron; WV getting Hinds so we get Boatright; losing Floyd and Akok but getting Alleyn and Joey.

I believe there were one or two other players that were important in getting NCs but we only got them after our first choices failed - players who didn't pan out in college.
Two most important: Getting Emeka after missing on Jamal Sampson (Cal) and Isaiah Fox (Arizona). Getting Kemba after supposed heavy UConn lean Brandon Jennings committed to USC, then Arizona and then went to Italy to play for 1 year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom