Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stay on the beat and keep us posted.

I'll be rooting for the UConn Huskies one game at a time.

If I'm going to worry about anything, it'll be that I've miscounted the syllables in any haiku as I review every post in a given Game Day Thread.
You seem like a smart guy, so I’ll try to explain. My original post was in response to someone posting the Kentucky fans reaction to our game, which was basically drooling at the thought of Hurley coaching their team moving forward. It’s a topic that can be shelved until the off season, but I couldn’t help but react to what I just read.

Like everyone else, I was in awe of the azzkicking we handed out, my comment wasn’t meant to derail the celebration and reaction to that.

Reaction Score
UConn did a better job making Marquette pay for overplaying wings than I can remember against any other school.
The back door cuts and passes had to he demoralizing.

1708221898623.gif

Reaction Score
Very happy about the big win. If there is anything to be concerned about it's keeping these guys level headed.

A win like this can make them overconfident. There's still a lot of basketball left to play.

They need to stay hungry. I think Hurley will keep them focused

Reaction Score
Ironic.

I’m just worried about Kentucky. Cal is making almost 10 mil per year, how many coaches are turning down that kind of money? One estimate I saw had Hurley at 5.3, which means they could almost double his salary. They have stupid money, and they will spend it on someone(Hurley/Oats/Drew). I’m reasonably allowed to be nervous about that, anyone who isn’t has their head in the sand.
If you're worried about him leaving worry about it being to the Knicks sometime down the road. Enjoy the present.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Who was better? Only reason we lost at Kansas was because Castle didn't play and Cam played on one leg. Seton Hall was bizarre but I still think we win that had Clingan not gotten hurt and knocked out of the game. We've rolled over everyone else despite injuries to Clingan, Castle, and AK.

'99 wasn't a great Big East, '04 was a better Big East but not by much. Last year?

Not looking for an argument and this team has to still play at Creighton, Marquette, and Providnce and eventually win it all to make the claim but curious what UConn team/teams were better at this point in the season?
Don’t get me wrong, this is a great team. I think 2004 was better and last year‘s team and 1999 were comparable. I think this team learned from the losses last year, and Seton Hall quickly reminded them what was needed. So balanced. That’s the key really.

I don’t think the sport is the way it was back then though. There just aren’t many great teams and there’s so much more parity. So a team like this can dominate. 2004 team had six NBA players on it and none of them were Anderson, Denham Brown or Taliek.

Reaction Score
This is the one of the most unselfish basketball teams I have ever seen. Caste and Karaban really no offensive stats but it didn’t matter. And they played hard. Guarded moved the ball in flow and to a better shot. Took their shots when open. HD best game in a Husky uniform. Cling, Cam in first half with Hassan. Then as TN second half.

Team is playing best ball so far this season.

Reaction Score
Dan's father was offered college HC jobs numerous times (decades ago) and turned them all down. He said that he wasn't opposed to the idea of coaching in college, just that the places that offered didn't seem like a good fit.

Dan and of at least equal importance, his better half, have spent their entire lives in the northeast. I imaginie that it would take quite a bit for us to lose him. Yes, he may one day decide to see if he can succeed at the highest level (NBA), but for that to happen, the team willing to take a chance on him will have to be one that is not in a position to fail. Teams that check the latter box seldom look to college coaches to fill vacancies.

We will need to accept however that the day he leaves us may be far earlier than we would like. My hope is that when that happens, Kimani or Luke will be in position to leave their (at that point) head coaching position to take over here.

Neither of them should be our mext head coach if/when the time comes. They have never run a program.

Even extremely successful college coaches don't do well in the NBA. They've started promoting from within instead of hiring from college. I doubt it happens.

Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong, this is a great team. I think 2004 was better and last year‘s team and 1999 were comparable. I think this team learned from the losses last year, and Seton Hall quickly reminded them what was needed. So balanced. That’s the key really.

I don’t think the sport is the way it was back then though. There just aren’t many great teams and there’s so much more parity. So a team like this can dominate. 2004 team had six NBA players on it and none of them were Anderson, Denham Brown or Taliek.
Shouldn't we be judging them as college players on their respective teams in those seasons and not as players who did things in later seasons to get drafted? I have a feeling Jaylin and Solo will be NBA players and they're our 8th and 9th guys.

We don't know if Newton and Karaban will get drafted and play in the NBA but they're certainly way better this season than several of the players who were drafted later on from the '04 team and they're better than Taliek, Shad, and Denham. Marcus Williams wasn't even eligible to play for that team in 2004.

Newton and Cam wouldn't have even been able to play in college basketball back in those days and they are the best backcourt in the country. A major part of why they're so good this season is that they've played 5 seasons of college ball.

Reaction Score
Now the only top 10 offensive (3) and defensive team (10) in the country on kenpom.
We jumped up from 17 to 10 on defense but interestingly, after playing a top 10 team our schedule only went from 279 to 275. Barely budged.

Reaction Score
At the risk of being a downer...

Seems like stewart is officially in the rotation over Solo. And that Solo is probably seeing the bench in close, competitive games. IMO Stewart earned this the hard way--nothing given, all earned. He's doing a lot right out there.

Johnson still wasn't very good tonight. I was really hoping he could be a starting-caliber player for us next year, but I don"/ think he has it in him. 5 fouls in 15 minutes, 1 rebound and 3 TOs isn't going to cut it long term. He'll need a Hassan-esque improvement to be that guy for us.
Yeah, I keep cringing a bit when the announcers keep calling us a deep team. Outside of Diarra, I think SJ and JS are serviceable, but not sure I'd call them real depth.

That said, this team is deep in a different way, in that there is almost no drop-off within the core 6. None of them are role players, they are all stars in their own right (even Diarra I would argue). It's really, really hard to have to stop all five starters and a sixth man. And even if you do stop a couple of them from scoring, they still put in the D, rebounding, and especially assists to be an impact. This is a very unique team.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Watching the game, it didn't seem to me that Clingan got away with any real fouls. But it also didn't seem like he was put in a position where he usually made a dumb foul. And with some time to reflect on this annihilation, I'm confused as to why Shaka didn't have his guards go at DC more often to draw fouls. Seems every other coach does and it's been fairly successful.
Clingan does did a fantastic job of going straight up on a lot of their strong drives. Which at that point was just like running into a brick wall for them.

It’s harder to draw those fouls on a guy like Clingan because when he does what he’s suppose to and then he doesn’t move after you hit him, you probably aren’t going to get that call.

Reaction Score
Why are Gillespie, Kolek, and Cam hated and or arse holes?

I get it with some of the Duke guys because they're Duke guys.

I can definitely see Cam pissing fans of other teams off because he never backs down/trash talks and he's so good but that also describes Andre Jackson and I never heard our fans calling him our arse hole and a balloon knot.

Reaction Score

I can definitely see Cam pissing fans of other teams off because he never backs down/trash talks and he's so good but that also describes Andre Jackson and I never heard our fans calling him our arse hole and a balloon knot.
Come on man. You know the answer to this lmao

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You seem like a smart guy, so I’ll try to explain. My original post was in response to someone posting the Kentucky fans reaction to our game, which was basically drooling at the thought of Hurley coaching their team moving forward. It’s a topic that can be shelved until the off season, but I couldn’t help but react to what I just read.

Like everyone else, I was in awe of the azzkicking we handed out, my comment wasn’t meant to derail the celebration and reaction to that.
Fair enough, particularly with your candid admission that you "...couldn't help but react..."

By nature and, I suppose, experience, I can temper myself from reacting. It's easy for me to regard that as 'better,' but it's really just the way that I play out being a fan. I do put a lot of stock in following each season a game at a time, but present-centeredness has its challenges.

I am influenced by some famous person's claim that well over 90% of what we worry about never comes true, so why bother. Even so, I wouldn't be so foolish as to dispute that other programs might bid for Hurley's services. Additionally, the prospect of his leaving would be bothersome if I gave it my attention.

In many comparable situations, I do ask myself if such attentions are needed "right now," and I've found it helpful toward deriving clear answers from such questioning when it arises. It doesn't, however, give me automatic license to devalue your feelings of concern. Perhaps more responsibly, I could invite you to stay engaged with what's going on now more so than down the line. And I'm sure you were doing a lot of that today. At least I hope so. It was awesome.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Neither of them should be our mext head coach if/when the time comes. They have never run a program.

Even extremely successful college coaches don't do well in the NBA. They've started promoting from within instead of hiring from college. I doubt it happens.
I have a strong suspicion at least one of the two will be running a program before DH leaves here.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I keep cringing a bit when the announcers keep calling us a deep team. Outside of Diarra, I think SJ and JS are serviceable, but not sure I'd call them real depth.

That said, this team is deep in a different way, in that there is almost no drop-off within the core 6. None of them are role players, they are all stars in their own right (even Diarra I would argue). It's really, really hard to have to stop all five starters and a sixth man. And even if you do stop a couple of them from scoring, they still put in the D, rebounding, and especially assists to be an impact. This is a very unique team.
In the portal era, most college basketball teams have 3-6 core guys, and a bench that they hope doesn't kill them for 6-8 mins per game. We may have a drop off in total talent going to the bench, but our bench players don't make huge mistakes, and are almost always better than the other teams bench.
That's deep.

Marquette's is the #4 team in the country. Their 4 bench players who got significant minutes today scored 10 points in 57 min.

Reaction Score
Clingan has simplified his free throw routine. And it’s looked ALOT better recently.
When he swished his first two FT's early in the game, I knew he was going to have a good game and UConn would win.

Not only did UConn beat the #4 team, but this was a team on a roll. Marquette's 8 game winning streak comes to a screeching halt.

I notice teams like Houston, need their best players to play their best (see Koleck today), in order to win tough games. UConn seems different in that respect.

The road games coming up will not be as easy. UConn is beatable, but they are still the best, IMO.

caw

Reaction Score

Kolek and Cam both talk a ton of . Kolek also talks a ton to the media. Cam is more demonstrative on the court. Gillespie I never had a problem with though, so I dont know on that one. KEA also got a lot of hate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom