Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Purdue fans' assessment of the game is "the arena was like a morgue" and the result was mostly Marquette playing poorly.

XL was super yesterday Purdue fans are very jealous of most teams who can get to the round of 32 anyway!

Reaction Score
Man, I love him.
Did anyone see at the end of warm-ups just before the start of the game? Marquette at their side of the court and UConn at the other. Except for Spencer. He launched a deep 3 over all of the Marquette players on their side of the court into their basket.
I love him. He's such a pr_ck!

Reaction Score
What the Marquette Message Boards are feeling.
Spoiler: pretty sad.

Point #6 from the OP is legendary pessimism turned realism lol

6. I admired the optimism of all who seriously thought MU could win this game. I wondered what you had been watching, but I admired it. I always thought double digit loss.

Reaction Score
If Hurley leads this team to another title we for sure will have to pay up because there are others that are willing and able to. Kentucky would back up a row brinks trucks on his front lawn.
Highest-Paid College Basketball Coaches
RANKHEAD COACHSCHOOLSALARY (2022-23)
1 John CalipariKentucky $8.5 million
2 Bill SelfKansas $6 million
3 Tom IzzoMichigan St. $5.7 million
4 Rick BarnesTennessee $5.5 million
5 Bruce PearlAuburn $5.5 million
6 Tony BennettVirginia $4.8 million
7 Brad UnderwoodIllinois $4.6 million
9 Mick CroninUCLA $4.1 million
9 Eric MusselmanArkansas $4.1 million
9 Buzz WilliamsTexas A&M $4.1 million
12 Dana AltmanOregon $4 million
13 Tommy LloydArizona $4 million
14 Kevin WillardMaryland $3.9 million

Reaction Score
I hate saying this, but we may never see this team play their A game, and STILL win the championship. We are that good, it seems.
I believe that was pretty much an A game. The team could have shot it a little better from 3 but both our offense and defense played at a very elite level. No one in the country could have beaten us yesterday. Some here think to play our A game we can't miss a shot or let the other team score. Considering this was an in-conference game against the #4 team in the country I don't know if we could have played any better.

Reaction Score
We blew out the #4(??) team in the country and we won’t through stretched where we couldn’t score. Start of the 2nd half for example. Karaban couldn’t hit The ocean with a handful of peanuts. We turned the ball over. But the defense was stifling. I think, and have thought for a while that Marquette was over rated. Top 15 maybe, but if they are the #4 team in the country,college basketball is in a pretty sad state. And for all the toughness and attitude they supposedly had, they quit midway through the 2nd half. The defining play was when Spenser and their guy crash to the floor under the basket. Spenser got up ran the lengths of the court and scored. The Marquette guy stayed down the jogged down the court out of the play.

Fox‘s pregame hype was pretty funny, too. Marquette this, Marquette that. Shaka this and that. 8 game winning streak. Oh and the team they are playing is pretty good too. But credit where credit is due, Donny was solid and Brando was sober, I think.

Reaction Score
wow.

Determination.
Demoralization.
Devastation
Domination.
Destruction.
jackie GIF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I believe that was pretty much an A game. The team could have shot it a little better from 3 but both our offense and defense played at a very elite level. No one in the country could have beaten us yesterday. Some here think to play our A game we can't miss a shot or let the other team score. Considering this was an in-conference game against the #4 team in the country I don't know if we could have played any better.
No. But I think we can easily argue (considering how well we shoot in out better performances) that Spencer shooting slightly better than he did yesterday and both Castle and Karaban shooting considerably better than they did would occur during our A game.

Reaction Score
Did anyone see at the end of warm-ups just before the start of the game? Marquette at their side of the court and UConn at the other. Except for Spencer. He launched a deep 3 over all of the Marquette players on their side of the court into their basket.
Not a p r I c k move by Cam. Always has to make the last basket after warmups. Does it every game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong, this is a great team. I think 2004 was better and last year‘s team and 1999 were comparable. I think this team learned from the losses last year, and Seton Hall quickly reminded them what was needed. So balanced. That’s the key really.

I don’t think the sport is the way it was back then though. There just aren’t many great teams and there’s so much more parity. So a team like this can dominate. 2004 team had six NBA players on it and none of them were Anderson, Denham Brown or Taliek.
That sport being down really is the thing too. Marquette is the #4 team in the country and they really don’t seem that talented for being the #4 team in the country.

Hurley has done an amazing job building such a talented roster still while maneuvering through the current conditions of today’s sport. We are head and shoulders above everyone else in the country with answers for everything.

Do think that’s the one thing holding me back from calling this our best ever. The lack of another actually great team for us to take down like 99 and 04 did Duke and other big time conference rivals.

Reaction Score
Maybe we just give him Avery Point instead of Cash

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
That sport being down really is the thing too. Marquette is the #4 team in the country and they really don’t seem that talented for being the #4 team in the country.

Hurley has done an amazing job building such a talented roster still while maneuvering through the current conditions of today’s sport. We are head and shoulders above everyone else in the country with answers for everything.

Do think that’s the one thing holding me back from calling this our best ever. The lack of another actually great team for us to take down like 99 and 04 did Duke and other big time conference rivals.
Not sure it is all about talent. There was an article today that the NBA is thinking about getting rid of the GLeague Ignite because there is no reason now with NIL. But back to talent although this may well be our best “team” I think we should be able to agree that we have had more talented teams. What team had four first round picks. I forget but I know Boone and Armstrong were part of the group. Point being it is not talent that makes this team great. It is that they actually play basketball the way it is supposed to be played. Marquette has plenty of talent made no difference. When a team plays this connected they win and win a lot.

Reaction Score
Jack in the Bean S. stuff. Loved watching it, get out of my way and they did!
My recollection is a time Donny M. scored, looked at the under-the-basket camera, pointed in that direction, smiled, stuck his tongue out and shook his head rapidly as the tongue flopped side to side. Am I mis-remembering?

Reaction Score
This isn't even close to accurate. Hurley makes $5.35 million per year plus addition performance based money.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not sure it is all about talent. There was an article today that the NBA is thinking about getting rid of the GLeague Ignite because there is no reason now with NIL. But back to talent although this may well be our best “team” I think we should be able to agree that we have had more talented teams. What team had four first round picks. I forget but I know Boone and Armstrong were part of the group. Point being it is not talent that makes this team great. It is that they actually play basketball the way it is supposed to be played. Marquette has plenty of talent made no difference. When a team plays this connected they win and win a lot.
G League Ignite has been a failure in general and doesn’t actually develop good habits for those guys. They just spend the season losing. I’m happy to NBA is getting rid of it because it doesn’t help those guys. The sport is for sure going to be pretty hype next year with Flagg at Duke. It’ll bring a lot of attention back to college basketball. Rutgers may be an interesting watch as well.

College Basketball needs Diaper Dandies to be a thing again if it wants to get any relevance back. Casuals tune in and media companies promote it because they want to see the future stars of tomorrow.

As far as our talent, I t’s definitely our style of play that adds into it as well that makes us so dominant. Clingan is pretty much a cheat code out there for Hurley’s defense. We haven’t heard any complaining about how there’s layup lines to the rim since he’s been back. He has a case for being our most talented big ever.

Cam might be our best transfer pick up ever to go with it.

Reaction Score
yes, that was great. elbowed my son and said Cam is such an A Hole, love it!!

Reaction Score
I don’t think the sport is the way it was back then though. There just aren’t many great teams and there’s so much more parity. So a team like this can dominate. 2004 team had six NBA players on it and none of them were Anderson, Denham Brown or Taliek.

Agree on the parity. With the new transfer rules, great players that were part of deep benches, can now transfer for more playing time elsewhere. The very top teams get a little weaker and the next tier gets stronger.

No number one seeds got past the sweet sixteen last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom