Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 25 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Hurley countered very well in the second half, the zone slowed them way down… we missed too many shots, you just say a cute line with nothing behind it
And the press.

Reaction Score
I don't get that. So you're saying he'll a better pro than he is a college player? Why do you think that?
Lead the league in scoring. Should have won most improved. 1st team all big east. Yeah. He’s just not all that.

Reaction Score
Lead the league in scoring. Should have won most improved. 1st team all big east. Yeah. He’s just not all that.
He’s a scorer that often needs a lot of shots to hit his mark. He’s incredibly streaky and has his great games. But when he’s off, he doesn’t have a lot else to effect the game.

Reaction Score
He's shown plenty of flashes of brilliant NBA shot making on threes which is why he's projected as a first rounder this year but misses a lot of open ones, I'm probably more comfortable with Karaban shooting open threes. He's physically weak and he doesn't have anywhere near NBA handles or finishing ability. Pretty much all his shotmaking is catch and shoot threes which is a great skill to have but he never seems to put it on the floor to create his own threes which is also an important NBA skillset for a shooter. He's shown he has a nice pull up midrange game but he does it too infrequently. He turned a couple down tonight.

He doesn't look ready to me and you can get buried in the NBA when you're not ready but guys leave now when generational money is offered to you, I get it.
He’s a slightly better Allan Houston just cause his defense is better

Reaction Score
Hawkins was the bust tonight(not his usual) . He was walking around like last year. Tired who knows..

But joey hit one of those threes. Why you are here. He hit a huge one to tie... second one looked close.
Hawkins last shot was lame. Half hearted.

Reaction Score
Hawkins was the bust tonight(not his usual) . He was walking around like last year. Tired who knows..

But joey hit one of those threes. Why you are here. He hit a huge one to tie... second one looked close.
It was great defense and terrible execution on offense. A timeout was 100% necessary. That is when Karaban hits his shots.

Reaction Score
He's hyped as a great shooter and even hyped by some as the best shooter in the country yet he's 37% from three on the season and 35% from three on the Big East season. He has a super quick release, his form is beautiful, he's high volume and he makes some tough shots but it's starting to feel like he may be a bit overrated as a shooter and his offensive game is so dependent on that one skill.
Yea I agree with that assessment you have, yes he has gotten a lil better at attacking close outs and finishing at the rim, but is inconsistent at it and Marquette knew that they would be able to make him a non factor just by making him uncomfortable, like I said earlier in the thread, he lost a lil bit of 1st rd money tonight, he was sneaking towards that back lottery but now he is a late 1st rounder

Reaction Score
You’re nuts. Why was Hawk on the floor down the stretch when he was stone cold and disengaged? Why wasn’t Clingan on the floor when he made a huge difference and shut them down? Why wasn’t Allyne, who was hot, not on the floor? Why no TO? Why playing for 3 instead of 2 when 99% of coaching days drive the lane? Yes, they got 2 good looks and missed. The last was atrocious and that last look mattered. You call TO, put in Clingan, you drive or dish to Karaban or Allyne, and puns the boards. Hurley is no clutch HC. Never has been.
Wow. You sure have 20-20 vision after the fact. This loss is not on the coaching.

Reaction Score

Maybe he was hurt. He wasn’t defending for crap, he looked slow and was terribly off. One thing is for certain, he just lost a ton of money. Great players don’t fade like that.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
He doesn't look like he'll be a big time NBA player to me. He could possibly become one if he develops but he has some serious flaws with his physical profile and game right now. NBA can be an unforgiving place when you have a lot of things to figure out.
This is true. He has to figure out how to be a triple threat off his own play, with ability to score on all three levels. He has to improve his handle and add deception.

I recall reading that Kobe said he only had 4 moves. He was just so good at them that no one could stop them.

Reaction Score
Maybe he was hurt. He wasn’t defending for crap, he looked slow and was terribly off. One thing is for certain, he just lost a ton of money. Great players don’t fade like that.
Hawkins was soft. They played hard D on him all night. He was slow and wondering tonight. I like Hawkins alot and he had an off night. Last one of the season. He can change games for us.

Reaction Score
lmao every piling in on Hawkins, when Hurley cooled the game off by taking Clingan out. After he benched him for almost 25 minutes
What was especially noticeable to me was how difficult it was for UConn’s shooters to find open shots after Hurley took Clingan out and put Sanogo back in. Yes, it was in part because of Marquette’s great defense, but that same Marquette defense seemed stretched and not in sync when Clingan was in the game. He’s really a game changer when he’s in there.

Reaction Score
He didn’t play enough to have a bad game. Foul trouble kept him on the bench. Only played 15 minutes.
He only played 15 minutes cause he decided to foul guys 90 feet from the basket. He missed 2 free throws to start the game and was completely lost after that.

I can’t believe the morons on here blaming Hurley. Joey C had 3 wide open looks and bricked all of them. Alleyne had a fast break and threw the ball backwards to Hawkins for a miss. He went to the zone and immediately got back in the game. Only flaw is how Clingan only gets 10 minutes? Marquette didn’t score for like the last 3 minutes. Joey looked like Polley at the end of the game. At some point you have to make a shot.

Reaction Score
This place is the worst after a loss. The absolute worst
Is this is a mental strain or just an obsession? Obviously a strain for you why stop by after a loss? ;)

Reaction Score
before the season there were 3 realistic goals

1) Sanogo to be player of the conference
2) Uconn to win regular season title
3) Uconn to win the tournament title

0-3, went from being ranked #1 to now a 4th place team in the big east. If anyone thinks this wasn't a disappointing season they're lying.
If anyone agrees with you then they’re idiots. Who cares about a player of the year award? They had a great year. 25-8 to end the regular season. The things you fools come up with is mind numbing. If you thought UConn was going to win the regular season over Creighton at the beginning of the year then you are lying. Or perhaps have no sense of reality. Team had a great season and can still very well win a national championship. What a horrendous fan you are. Go root for Syracuse you crumb

Reaction Score
It’s a game of runs. They made a run. We made a run. It was back and forth from there. I remember a game earlier this year similar to that last possession. Chaos all over the place, Hurley calls a timeout as Hawkins is rising and hits a dagger jumper. The TO is credited, shot waved off, and we don’t score after the TO. I think he should have taken the TO but maybe that was in his head

At the end of the day, we ran the sets which generated the good looks that would have won us the game. We missed those looks, so we lost. That’s less on the coaching and more on the players in my opinion. Sure Hurley’s decisions weren’t 100% correct, but that was winnable.

We play a style that has the potential to go cold just as much as it does to explode. Gotta make the shots next week

Reaction Score
Yeah Hurley should have taken Joey C out after the first miss LOL. HE’s a 40% three point shooter and we got him 2 more open threes. He just missed them.

Hurley was not outcoached tonight. Change to zone after atrocious defensive start to 2nd half to cover for lack of inside defense from AS was a great move. After the change Marquette only scored 14 points in the last 15 minutes of the half. We just didn’t make enough shots and lost by 2. Last play was poorly executed but if we made open shots (good execution) the previous 2 times we wouldn’t have had to worry about the last 10 seconds.
As I said great move by Hurley to go to the zone but waited to long to go back to man- Alleyne again is a better defender & was overall having a better game than Joey- facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom