Marquette NewFan Primer | The Boneyard

Marquette NewFan Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey Boneyard, I'm from the MUScoop website and heard that you decided to adopt our Marquette Warriors as your proxy team now that UConn is out. Have to say, for me at least, this works out perfectly, since UConn became my proxy team last year when Marquette lost to UNC in the Sweet 16. Might have something to do with the $450 I won for picking the Huskies as national champions in my bracket pool, but do we really need to quibble over reasons?

Anyway...one of the ideas we had at the Scoop was giving a Marquette NewFan Primer for you guys. I'd love to share some info on cheering for the Warriors, but seem unable to post in the basketball forum. Any chance I could get permission to do that?

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I moved your post to the men's bb board.

Hey Boneyard, I'm from the MUScoop website and heard that you decided to adopt our Marquette Warriors as your proxy team now that UConn is out. Have to say, for me at least, this works out perfectly, since UConn became my proxy team last year when Marquette lost to UNC in the Sweet 16. Might have something to do with the $450 I won for picking the Huskies as national champions in my bracket pool, but do we really need to quibble over reasons?

Anyway...one of the ideas we had at the Scoop was giving a Marquette NewFan Primer for you guys. I'd love to share some info on cheering for the Warriors, but seem unable to post in the basketball forum. Any chance I could get permission to do that?

Reaction Score
First of all, if you're going to be honorary Marquette fans, it's not "Golden Eagles". Yeah, it might be on some of the paraphernalia, but the fanbase has never embraced it. We're still Warriors.

The Current Team

I figure not everyone will care about our past, so I'll start with the present. Who the coach is, who the players are, and why they are worth cheering for.

Junior Cadougan: I saw someone on here refer to him as a hard guy to cheer for. While Junior can be frustrating at times, he gets more blame than he deserves because of the position he plays. But he overcame a lot to get here. His 4-year old brother was the victim of a shooting in 2005 and he had to overcome weight issues to earn his D1 scholarship. As a freshman, he was injured before his season started, but he worked hard to overcome his Achilles injury so he could contribute to a thin bench as a freshman. When he's on his game, he runs the team well, despite not being a scorer. We are 16-0 this season when Junior gets 6 assists or more. As Junior goes, so goes our team, hopefully he has 4 more good games left in him.

Jae Crowder: The son of a former NBA player, Jae also overcame weight issues and was more interested in football as a youngster. But when he started playing basketball, it was clear he belonged. Jae initially went to South Georgia Tech when he didn't get any offers out of high school, only to learn from Bob Huggins that SGT wasn't an accredited college. So Jae transferred to Howard Junior College and took a 2-year course load in one year. Along the way, he also earned NJCAA Player of the Year honors and led Howard to their first ever national championship. When Howard's coach reached out to Buzz to encourage him to come see Crowder, Buzz flew down and watched Jae saddled with foul trouble and play an awful 9-minute performance. The coach apologized, but Buzz said there was no need, that Jae had been a great teammate despite foul trouble, and that he was the kind of kid Buzz wanted at Marquette. The rest is history. Jae finished his classes, came to Milwaukee, and has developed into one of the best seniors in the country.

Darius Johnson-Odom: DJO was another NJC All-American, but didn't have the interest he hoped for out of high school. He had a lot of interest, but Buzz was the only coach that realized he'd be eligible as a sophomore and offered him after his freshman year. Since arriving, DJO has been a consistent double-digit scorer and an electric athlete that we all love watching.

Vander Blue: He originally committed to Wisconsin, which along with Notre Dame and DePaul is one of our biggest rivals. But after someone on the Wisconsin staff allegedly questioned his academics, Blue decommitted and decided to head east to Milwaukee. While he hasn't quite lived up to the five-star billing he got from some recruiting services, he has been a phenomenal on-ball defender and is an excellent rebounding guard. The scoring has started to come, and despite a few off-court issues, Blue is winning the Warrior faithful over.

Jamil Wilson: Another guy who initially committed elsewhere, Wilson was a top-50 in-state player that went to Oregon, but decided to come back home to Marquette after Ernie Kent was fired. A natural small forward, Wilson has spent most of the year splitting time between the 4 and 5 positions due to injuries to our only two centers. As we've gotten smaller and quicker, Wilson has been the spearhead of our "Marquette 3.0" style of play that has us up and down the court constantly, relying on Wilson's 7'1" wingspan and Crowder's defensive tenacity to hold our own in the low post.

Todd Mayo: He's not just OJ's little brother any more. Todd's commitment was surprisingly quiet, and his dreams of attending West Virginia (he has a WVU tattoo on his arm) fell through as he went to prep school and Bob Huggins stopped recruiting him. As he started putting up points at Notre Dame Prep, the offers started to come back, but Mayo remembered that Buzz had been there recruiting him all along. Even when Huggins got back in with a late offer from WVU, Mayo stuck by Williams and came to Marquette. He had a torrid start, putting up plenty of points in November and December, then seemed to hit a freshman wall as Big East play started. Lately, his play has picked up. He's always been a great defender, and now that his 3-stroke is returning, he will be a key contributor to this team off the bench in the tournament.

Buzz Williams: What more is there to say that hasn't been said? He was an unknown assistant who spent one year under Crean before getting the HC job, amidst outcry from many who expected a more established name. Buzz was a student assistant that took out $1,200 of student loan money to buy a suit and plane ticket to the 1994 Final Four in hopes of getting an assistant job. When he learned that UT-Arlington had a post open, he called the coach and expressed his interest. And when he didn't think he was taken seriously, he drove to Arlington, found the coach's house, and camped out in the front until the coach got home and told him how much he wanted the job. From there, Buzz went from school to school as an assistant until he got the HC job at New Orleans. It didn't work well there and after one year he agreed to come work for Crean as an assistant. Since taking over, he's won over Marquette fans that see a lot of Al McGuire in the quirky, rebellious, outspoken coach. Whether it's his frank interviews, his various life-lesson quotes, or the dance that offended all of West Virginia, he's our type of coach. And he just seems trustworthy when he says "Momma says 'Don't mess with happy, and I'm happy'." We love having him.

History 1964-1977

For most Marquette fans, our history starts with Al McGuire, who came to Marquette in 1964. Al was a rebellious figure, one that didn't even want the Marquette job until he heard they weren't going to hire him. Upset that they brought him in as a dummy candidate, he went in, knocked the socks off the interviewers, got the job, and proceeded to turn Marquette into one of the best programs in the country, culminating with the national title in 1977. For a better summation of what those days were like than I could ever give, this article is worth a read: Charles Pierce on Grantland

History 1978-1999

Most of the 1980s and 1990s weren't very good for the MU faithful. A few worthwhile notes. Doc Rivers was Marquette's best player in the early 1980s. Rick Majerus and Kevin O'Neill got their coaching starts here. Bob Dukiet and Mike Deane were so bad that at one point we considered dropping down to Division II. And maybe the worst thing to ever happen at Marquette, in 1994 we changed our nickname from Warriors to Golden Eagles. But that's on paper. We're still Warriors. Warriors Forever.

History 1999-2008

The Tom Crean era. Crean brought us back to prominence, largely thanks to a partial qualifier named Dwyane Wade leading us to a Final Four. The win over Kentucky in 2003 put us back on the map, and probably got us into the Big East. We again became a regular in the NCAAs, though Crean was rumored to be leaving every offseason. When we finally started to feel secure that Crean was here for the long haul, he appeared on a ESPN press conference announcing that he was the new coach at Indiana. He didn't even tell our Athletic Director he was leaving. Suffice to say, he's not remembered fondly.

History 2008-Current

The Buzz Williams era, also known as "the last four years". Buzz has taken us to the tourney every year, overcome the loss of the Amigos, rebuilt the program on the backs of JUCOs like Jimmy Butler, DJO, and Jae Crowder, and has us in our second consecutive Sweet 16 for the first time since Al was on the sidelines. Things are good and we feel confident our coach isn't leaving.

Tour of Campus

If you're hungry, eat at Real Chili. Best chili in the city. If you're thirsty, there are a ton of bars on 16th Street. If you want to sight-see, either stay on campus or go East toward Lake Michigan. You cannot go West. There is no West. It may look like a massive ghetto starts around 21st Street, but just ignore that. It isn't there. Milwaukee ends at 20th Street. Do not go West.

Miscellaneous

Our fight song is "Ring Out Ahoya". We are one of 7 teams that play home games in a NBA Arena, interestingly once Memphis arrives, 6 of those 7 teams will be in the Big East. Our all-time leading scorer is Jerel McNeal. Marquette has retired 11 numbers -- 3 (Dwyane Wade), 44 (Don Kojis), 31 (Doc Rivers/Bo Ellis), 24 (George Thompson), 15 (Butch Lee), 14 (Dean Meminger), 43 (Earl Tatum), 20 (Maurice Lucas), 77 (In honor of McGuire), 38 (trainer Bob Weingart), 11 (Apollo 11 crew). And we are Forever Warriors.

Reaction Score
I never particularly liked you guys in the Crean era but I love watching Buzz's teams. Its nice watching a bunch of guys play with chips on their shoulder and no team plays harder than Marquette.

You should have written a blurb on Gardner, he is one of my favorite guys to watch. Not the typical body type you see in college basketball and has some skills.

Butler is a terrific story and I really am pulling for him in the pros. He gave the Bulls some nice minutes vs. the Heat the other night.

Reaction Score
Here ya go, Walker...

Davante Gardner: Gardner was fairly unheralded before he came to Marquette. The only school that seemed seriously interested was South Florida, and getting a 6'8", 320-lb 3-star center wasn't exactly what most Marquette fans were hoping for out of Buzz Williams. When Gardner was named Virginia State Player of the Year as a senior, our hopes got a bit higher. I remember the first time I saw him, we have an annual Pro-Am tournament over the summer that most of the MU players participate in. Here's this immense mountain of man standing out by the three-point line calmly practicing his stroke. It made no sense...a guy that big who could actually shoot? Then he got on campus, and wowed us all. I can't remember seeing a guy so good offensively. He just has a way of putting the ball up that it always seems on target, whether it's an actual shot or an off-balance no-look tip, he's always at least close to being on target. This year with the injury to Chris Otule, his minutes have gone up and he responded favorably, including a monster 22/14 game against St. John's. Despite his always laid back, almost disinterested demeanor, the big man with the great free throw stroke has become popular among fans, and his frequent Twitter quote "I be chillin doe" inspired a fan-favorite t-shirt.

And yeah...Butler was a great story, what made it even more impressive was that it wasn't even public knowledge on campus until tourney time last year. Buzz never made Butler's background public until JFB (our affectionate nickname -- Jimmy F'in Butler) was ready. Great to have him, Wes Matthews, Lazar Hayward, Steve Novak, and of course Dwyane Wade all repping MU in the NBA.

Reaction Score
You're coach is a big time after watching his antics after a few road games this year. Enjoy the sweet 16 as your ceiling until a big time program comes calling again.

Reaction Score
You're coach is a big time after watching his antics after a few road games this year. Enjoy the sweet 16 as your ceiling until a big time program comes calling again.
Apparently you don't want to join the pro-Marquette BY crowd.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
For the record I did root for the Warriors to beat NC State in '74 (lost) and UNC in '77 (won).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You Warriors are good...real good...

Thanks for telling us a bit about yourselves. We have a thing about 30+ year old movies that worked out real well for us...or not...

But now that you've reminded me about Marquette's original nickname, I'm thinking it would be cool (if not lost on some 80% of the crowd) to play the "Warriors, come out to play" line, along with the clinking bottles, before you take the court.

Reaction Score
8893, you're a mind-reader. I actually sent in a letter in 2004 with a mocked up Warriors logo based on the movie logo and suggested the "Come Out to Play" as our intro music...not really music, but would be a cool intro.

Apparently administration wasn't interested :(

As far as my expectations for this tournament...I like our chances to make the Elite 8, but getting to the Final Four, whether it's MSU or Loserville, will be a war. Past that...I'll take anything we can get. I think Kentucky will play an off game at some point, but they look nearly unbeatable. If we could beat them or if someone else knocked them off, it's not impossible that a 3-seed from the Big East could win a title, is it?

Reaction Score
8893, you're a mind-reader. I actually sent in a letter in 2004 with a mocked up Warriors logo based on the movie logo and suggested the "Come Out to Play" as our intro music...not really music, but would be a cool intro.

Apparently administration wasn't interested :(

As far as my expectations for this tournament...I like our chances to make the Elite 8, but getting to the Final Four, whether it's MSU or Loserville, will be a war. Past that...I'll take anything we can get. I think Kentucky will play an off game at some point, but they look nearly unbeatable. If we could beat them or if someone else knocked them off, it's not impossible that a 3-seed from the Big East could win a title, is it?
Thanks for the Marquette Travelogue. Good Luck the rest of the way. Oursupport may or may not be good, but you've got it now so there's no turning back. :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
does this mean we can count D Wade as part of our alum in the NBA?

gotta go get me a Marquette and USF hat

lets go Warriors

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Posting on the basketball board - Try turning off the "Use Rich Text Editor to Edit & Create messages" in 'Preferences'.

It's a bug, not a permission issue.

Reaction Score
Good Luck Marquette. You are Big East and We are Big East so Let's go Big East

Reaction Score
<< Also on the Marquette Gold.....er, Warriors bandwagon.

Reaction Score
Darius Johnson-Odom: DJO was another NJC All-American, but didn't have the interest he hoped for out of high school. He had a lot of interest, but Buzz was the only coach that realized he'd be eligible as a sophomore and offered him after his freshman year. Since arriving, DJO has been a consistent double-digit scorer and an electric athlete that we all love watching.

Interesting you guys were disappointed when losing out on Darius Smith and got DJO. As you may know, DS signed with UConn and transferred after his tough freshman year. I'd say that it worked out pretty well ...

Reaction Score
If your team looks at every opponent as if they are wearing UConn jerseys, making them play their best , then you should win it all!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am sticking by what I said about Cadougan. He is infuriating to watch if you are rooting for Marquette. He isn't a bad player exactly, but he makes some really odd decisions. If he could eliminate his 5 worst "WTF" moments every game, Marquette would be on its way to the Final Four.

DJO is double nasty. He has been one of my favorite guards in the league for 3 years.

I am not a big fan of 3 guard lineups, although Marquette's 3 are a lot better defensively than UConn's 3, and Marquette doesn't have some of the front court options that UConn has so Williams doesn't really have a choice. Marquette's basketball team is a like a shark in that when it slows down it dies. They need to keep attacking to beat teams at the Sweet 16 level.

I have not been a fan of Williams' chess moves at the end of games (last year's Vandy and UConn games come to mind as debacles), but he seems to be improving in that regard. I thought he did a good job on his defensive sets with Murray State. They looked lost in the last 10 minutes.

Reaction Score
You're coach is a big time after watching his antics after a few road games this year.

Uhh....... justified or not Calhoun's 'in-game' antics ain't that much prettier. All coaches have their imperfections, doesn't make them d-bags. You try managing/coaching a bunch of big ego teenagers for your livelihood and job security. You are outside looking in my friend.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I hope Marquette wins every game they play in this tourney by 30 points or more. Warriors.....come out to play!!!

Good luck!

Reaction Score
I hate for him and there's still time for him to improve his play next year. But Cadougan is an example of why you can't out train poor nutrition. I feel the vast majority of his "WTF" moments stem from fatigue and fewer Type IIb muscle fibers than typically associated with elite 6-1 PGs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom