Marquette Coach/Player Post Game Comments | The Boneyard

Marquette Coach/Player Post Game Comments

Reaction Score
re: officials, around 5:15 into the video.

Shaka: "there's a lot of physicality. I think they do a good job of letting teams play". He then implies that they can't match UConn ("we are not going to win a Mr. Universe contest against UConn") but can basically out work them (UConn) in other areas.

My first thought on the "let them play" comment, is, why have refs then? He is correct on his observations and plays the cards that are delt. Shaka also recruits the kind of players that work well in his system and coaches them well. They excel at what they want to do.

Reaction Score
From watching the interview last night, it reaffirms Shaka is a class act. He gets results and says the right things. His players are always swarming and relentless. They pass the ball well. MQ will be good for years to come until eventually Smart upgrades again. Good for the league.

I think last night may have been one of our best coached games in terms of adjustments and preparation after the first game. Our wrinkles in Defense are having an impact.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Shaka Smart is not only a really good coach but also a class act
His team played poorly and got beat by the better team on that night - he gets it and he'll move on.
I never really appreciated him until he got to Marquette and I saw he is a lot more than a terror defense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
From watching the interview last night, it reaffirms Shaka is a class act. He gets results and says the right things. His players are always swarming and relentless. They pass the ball well. MQ will be good for years to come until eventually Smart upgrades again. Good for the league.

I think last night may have been one of our best coached games in terms of adjustments and preparation after the first game. Our wrinkles in Defense are having an impact.

IDK on Smart. He got a taste of the "big time" at Texas. I think he may be okay staying at Marquette where he can still get those 4 year program guys and develop his teams. You go to Marquette, stay in the top 20 year in and year out and make an occasional deep run in the NCAA and you have job security for life.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
re: officials, around 5:15 into the video.

Shaka: "there's a lot of physicality. I think they do a good job of letting teams play". He then implies that they can't match UConn ("we are not going to win a Mr. Universe contest against UConn") but can basically out work them (UConn) in other areas.

My first thought on the "let them play" comment, is, why have refs then? He is correct on his observations and plays the cards that are delt. Shaka also recruits the kind of players that work well in his system and coaches them well. They excel at what they want to do.

Officials have gotten so bad with not calling travels with shuffling feet and changing pivot feet in the post. Marquette had two last night in the first half where players in plain sight absolutely traveled under the basket to get off shots. Refs staring right at that and swallowing the whistle. Nothing you can do on defense if refs are gonna let offensive players do whatever they want with their feet in the paint.

Reaction Score
IDK on Smart. He got a taste of the "big time" at Texas. I think he may be okay staying at Marquette where he can still get those 4 year program guys and develop his teams. You go to Marquette, stay in the top 20 year in and year out and make an occasional deep run in the NCAA and you have job security for life.

He's 45-years-old. Probably has another 20 years in the coaching ranks. I'd be shocked if he didn't take a stab at a blue blood program (or the league) at some point. Gtcam was right... Shaka is proving he's much more than his Havoc press this time around.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’m really hoping they can keep him around for good. But the next Texas level program will probably be to enticing.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
He's a basketball coach coaching a basketball team at a basketball school big big difference from Texas where football rules

Reaction Score
12F6C991-A32C-4F16-8D21-4B664C1F1DE4.jpeg

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's close to home (he's from Wisconsin), he's seen what it's like with a payday job where everything is overly scrutinized and expectations are usually unrealistic (Texas) and I imagine he does draw a reasonable salary.

I'd wager that he would think long and hard before moving elsewhere.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's close to home (he's from Wisconsin), he's seen what it's like with a payday job where everything is overly scrutinized and expectations are usually unrealistic (Texas) and I imagine he does draw a reasonable salary.

I'd wager that he would think long and hard before moving elsewhere.
Except perhaps to Wisconsin.

Reaction Score
Shaka great coach, but if I ever see him near the three point line on the same end that a live possession is happening again were gonna have issues.

Reaction Score
It's said that Shaka really wanted the UConn job when we transitioned to Ollie. He can probably coach at Marquette as long as he wants. But he will need a little luck to build a true national program there. It not a tough place to win. But it is a tough place to build a monster. There are a lot of B10 schools who compete for the top basketball players in his natural recruiting area.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Take away from Shaka - nothing we can do if UConn plays like they did tonight (and Marquette is supposedly a top 10 team).
Not "supposedly"; they ARE a Top 10 team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol Alleyne, Hawkins and Newton are charismatic kids

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny

Top Bottom