Marketing question: When was the last time...? | The Boneyard

Marketing question: When was the last time...?

Reaction Score
That an electronic billboard promoted Husky football?
We used to be inundated with these ads in the Hartford, New Britain & Waterbury areas on I-84 & in Meriden off I-691. This week is Senior Day with a Top 25 opponent & bowl eligibility at stake. It's a perfect time for "Last Chance to see YOUR Huskies at the RENT this season" type of ads. Visual reminders are important to ticket sales. I can remember Army Football ads in Waterbury a couple of seasons ago. The Cadets thought enough of this marketing approach to promote Army football deep in the Nutmeg State.

Much has been made of the significant increase in RENT attendance the last two games. From my perspective, the numbers were padded by fans of close-by regional opponents, In Section 103, many seats that formerly were packed in Husky Blue were either sold of donated to fans of the Thunder Chickens & Minutemen. This week's game will be a truer gauge of whether or not Husky fans are being lured back to the dog pound. UConn marketing should use every opportunity to promote this matchup.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
We used to be inundated with these ads in the Hartford, New Britain & Waterbury areas on I-84 & in Meriden off I-691. This week is Senior Day with a Top 25 opponent & bowl eligibility at stake. It's a perfect time for "Last Chance to see YOUR Huskies at the RENT this season" type of ads. Visual reminders are important to ticket sales. I can remember Army Football ads in Waterbury a couple of seasons ago. The Cadets thought enough of this marketing approach to promote Army football deep in the Nutmeg State.

Much has been made of the significant increase in RENT attendance the last two games. From my perspective, the numbers were padded by fans of close-by regional opponents, In Section 103, many seats that formerly were packed in Husky Blue were either sold of donated to fans of the Thunder Chickens & Minutemen. This week's game will be a truer gauge of whether or not Husky fans are being lured back to the dog pound. UConn marketing should use every opportunity to promote this matchup.
I didn't think there were many UMass fans at the Rent. Heck, they don't even go to games at McGuirk! I also didn't think the Thunder Chickens brought half as many fans as Syracuse or even Purdue last year.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Much has been made of the significant increase in RENT attendance the last two games. From my perspective, the numbers were padded by fans of close-by regional opponents, In Section 103, many seats that formerly were packed in Husky Blue were either sold of donated to fans of the Thunder Chickens & Minutemen.

Um, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there. From my seats, BC and UMass fans were few and far between. Cuse fans were all over the place (and annoying).

Reaction Score
We had 4 solid rows in front of ours filled with BCU & UMass fans. That's why I said section 103. As a matter of fact, last Friday night,people 3 rows in front were calling their fellow UMass fans seated in other sections to come over & fill in empty gap seating.

Reaction Score
I didn't think there were many UMass fans at the Rent. Heck, they don't even go to games at McGuirk! I also didn't think the Thunder Chickens brought half as many fans as Syracuse or even Purdue last year.
Totally agree.

Reaction Score
We had 4 solid rows in front of ours filled with BCU & UMass fans. That's why I said section 103. As a matter of fact, last Friday night,people 3 rows in front were calling their fellow UMass fans seated in other sections to come over & fill in empty gap seating.
I would be surprised if there were 500 UMass fans there Friday night. Marketing probably won’t help ticket sales with the possibility of heavy rain for Saturday. I for one hope the rain passes through before game time Saturday.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
See them all the time.

Reaction Score
Billboards are no longer an effective marketing tool…waste of money. All the value is in social media and digital marketing now, especially with a lot of people still working from home and not commuting.

Reaction Score
You can't track attrition with billboards. Sure, you, the UConn Football fan might like to see a billboard, but its more-so for awareness than anything else. You use billboards to keep known brands top of mind. Verizon, Coca Cola, Budweiser - brands that you know. You don't use billboards for acquisition - or in this case - ticket purchases. You use social media, website, email marketing, OLA, OLV for that type of stuff because you can track performance in real time and optimize based on the results.

Should we see more banner ads or targeted social media posts across all UConn sports? Absolutely. But billboards, not so much.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Near as I can tell, they never stopped.

I see them every time through.

Reaction Score
You can't track attrition with billboards. Sure, you, the UConn Football fan might like to see a billboard, but its more-so for awareness than anything else. You use billboards to keep known brands top of mind. Verizon, Coca Cola, Budweiser - brands that you know. You don't use billboards for acquisition - or in this case - ticket purchases. You use social media, website, email marketing, OLA, OLV for that type of stuff because you can track performance in real time and optimize based on the results.

Should we see more banner ads or targeted social media posts across all UConn sports? Absolutely. But billboards, not so much.
Agreed - only one small thing is that with electronic billboards today you can purchase billboard ads much more economically now (and arguably less impressions, too - hence the lower cost). But, yes, billboards are certainly more about halo effect.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom