Marist enters Uconn showdown on low note | The Boneyard

Marist enters Uconn showdown on low note

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
True, but Marist has beaten Princeton and Vermont, neither exactly pushovers and has a good chance against Wake, tomorrow.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I would think tonites game would be overwhelming. I like the Marist program and what theyve done. Tonite there will be no let up.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I like Marist. Just a rebuilding year for them.

I think the match up with Purdue is going to be a fun one!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When does Hartley get back into the starting lineup, or does she? If so, who will not be a starter? I cannot imagine putting Stewart back on the bench with the stats that she has already. She should be a four year starter.

Reaction Score
While I think UConn will eventually establish a starting 5 and rotation pattern, it would be difficult for opponents to prepare if they had to be ready for any of 8 players as starters. With most teams the preparation would be limited to scouting 2 or 3 players who make the bulk of the plays for a team. The way things are with UConn right now an opposing coach needs to prepare for several scenarios, a big and physical UConn team that will pound the paint, a "small" but quick team that can all shoot 3's and press fullcourt and everything in between. Stanford, for one, will face this when they play Tenn at TBA and then have only a few days till they play UConn at home.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
When does Hartley get back into the starting lineup, or does she? If so, who will not be a starter? I cannot imagine putting Stewart back on the bench with the stats that she has already. She should be a four year starter.
I think it's clear at this point that the combination of Dolson and Stewart works really, really well and gives UConn a 4/5 tandem that everyone, possibly even Baylor, is going to have problems with. I also think it's a given Bria eventually makes it back into the starting lineup. Kelly is going to start. That means you would either have Caroline come in off the bench as a steadying hand alongside some of the younger players or you have KML come off the bench for instant offense. I think Bria-KML-Kelly-Breanna-Stef is absolutely devastating and should be how UConn kicks off every half.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Geno is going to have a talk with his guards. Bria and Caroline will alternate playtime and that could mean starting one game and not the other etc. I dont know how Geno is going to keep BB out of the lineup either. She is a killer on defense and can score inside and out. She is so quick. Package BB with MJ or Bria and the defense is so suffacating and so devastating its going to be tuff for any team to break it. One thing with this team is you never have to worry about getting beat because there is always someone there to back you up.

Reaction Score
Tony are you suggesting that Hartley and Doty will alternate starts when Hartley is completely healthy? I love your enthusiasm Tony but there is absolutly zero chance of Hartley not starting when healthy.{Maybe senior night but I would bet Stewie would sit not Hartley]

Reaction Score
Stefanie-Breanna is a fantastic tandem and they get UConn off to a great start.

Kelly will absolutely start; she's a senior and arguably our best all-around player.

Bria is an All-American and a steady presence on both ends of the floor.

That leaves Caroline and Kaleena for the fifth spot. I think it's got to be KML; she is off to a great start and is even better than last year. She is a better defender than she was and is working even harder to improve her all-around game.

Unfortunately, we have six starters for only five spots. Caroline is a steady presence and looks much better than last year, but she's probably the 6th best of the six players most likely to start. I think that leaves her as a bench player, which is tough, but the best option for the team.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
What people are discounting is that starting is more prestige than anything else. They're also ignoring Auriemma's loyalty to his players. Typically on UConn teams a starting position is a reward, not only for performance but also for seniority. Has anyone seen anything from senior Doty that could possibly cause her to lose her starting job? Maybe bench senior Faris in favor of Stewart? Yeah, that's probably what Auriemma will do. :rolleyes:

When Hartley is ready, she will start and so will Doty, Dolson, Mosqueda-Lewis and Faris. Stewart, Tuck, and Jefferson will get lots of minutes as will Banks and Stokes.
I expect that Stewart will get lots more minutes than Doty and probably more than Hartley - but they won't be from the opening tip.

Auriemma must be loving his "minutes" dilemma.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I think Caroline will start and she will get 15 - 20 minutes depending on the game. Not all bad having either KML or Stewie coming off the bench at the first time-out.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
They may not have to wait that long until the next most lopsided defeat.
Agree- I'd see a 26 point loss to UConn as a moral victory, honestly.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it's clear at this point that the combination of Dolson and Stewart works really, really well and gives UConn a 4/5 tandem that everyone, possibly even Baylor, is going to have problems with. I also think it's a given Bria eventually makes it back into the starting lineup. Kelly is going to start. That means you would either have Caroline come in off the bench as a steadying hand alongside some of the younger players or you have KML come off the bench for instant offense. I think Bria-KML-Kelly-Breanna-Stef is absolutely devastating and should be how UConn kicks off every half.

I have to agree completely. That is an incredible starting five...then Doty and Tuck off the bench.

I am hearing very little about Stokes. Is she looking at limited time this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom