Marinatto's New Mission | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Marinatto's New Mission

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Marinatto should have been on the phone with anyone and everyone trying to get the B12 to accept Cincy and UL.

"Rescuing" them for the Big East did those schools no favors and have relatively little benefit for the hoop schools.
You may get your wish. WV is pushing really hard to leave for next season and I maintain it is because the B12 only takes WV if it can get out of the BE next season. If the BE plays hardball with WV then the B12 will threaten to take Ville and Cincy unless the conference changes its stance on WV.

I would call the bluff if I were the BE. Either one of two things happen. WV still is in the BE or your wish is fulfilled. My guess is if the BE holds WV to the 27 months, the B12 goes to BYU. Texas is running things and they don't want the B12 to be more than ten teams. My suspicion is they want the conference to be just strong enough for six years to give the LHN network time and then Texas goes independent. And when they go independent they do not want a strong B12 conference in their backyard.

Reaction Score
What is the Big East office supposed to do to get UConn into the ACC that UConn can't do itself?
Waive the white flag. No sense in pretending they are still a competitor of the ACC.

I still can't believe Marinatto was having meetings with Swofford about doing things the right way. He should have been warning his schools about the wolf in sheep's clothing and letting them know that he was going to try and split them, leaving some of them in some precarious state.

Reaction Score
I would call the bluff if I were the BE. Either one of two things happen. WV still is in the BE or your wish is fulfilled. My guess is if the BE holds WV to the 27 months, the B12 goes to BYU. Texas is running things and they don't want the B12 to be more than ten teams. My suspicion is they want the conference to be just strong enough for six years to give the LHN network time and then Texas goes independent. And when they go independent they do not want a strong B12 conference in their backyard.

I think a 9 member B12 in Texas' backyard isn't enough to really make a difference either way. That league could easily add BYU or Louisville in the future. I don't see this as strong motivation for Texas.

I think it's more about the bottom line: $$$.

I just don't see why Texas is concerned about the loss of $1 million more a year per school when they make a huge amount a money.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I think a 9 member B12 in Texas' backyard isn't enough to really make a difference either way. That league could easily add BYU or Louisville in the future. I don't see this as strong motivation for Texas.

I just don't see why Texas is concerned about the loss of $1 million more a year per school when they make a huge amount a money.
Exactly. It isn't about the current loss of money. It is about Texas' plans six years down the road. Texas is still in alliance with the B12 because the LHN network is just starting. Texas believes it needs six years to get sufficient content and connections to cable and satellites. So they are sticking with the B12 for convenience.

Continued:

ctchamps

Reaction Score

But the B12 can be a major competitor to Texas if it becomes strong. That is why, imo, Texas only wants a 10 member league, and why OU wants a 12 member league. A 10 member league can be vulnerable six years from now if Texas goes independent and other conferences gobble up the best of the rest. If the B12 goes to 12 now with some decent teams that may not be available in six years, it has a chance of surviving when Texas goes independent. And that survival would reduce the leverage Texas would have to command revenues for its LHN network in the midwest region, because it would be competing with a viable B12 network.

Reaction Score
The idea is that the ACC cannot leave UConn to wither and die at this point. I don't know what you do about USF, but the Big12 should be prodded at this point to take on Louisville and perhaps Cincy.

Conferences need to be convinced that a future of litigation is not in anyone's interests.

I don't think the ACC cares enough about UConn to worry about its future. As far as Marinatto finding a soft landing in the Big 12 for WVU amd Louisville, what would be the landing place for UConn? CUSA or A10? The ACC is not looking to take UConn, at least not right now.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

And if it takes longer than six years, Texas can just opt to stay in the B12 and keep it going until or if the LHN network reaches the status Texas wants.

Reaction Score
I don't think the ACC cares enough about UConn to worry about its future. As far as Marinatto finding a soft landing in the Big 12 for WVU amd Louisville, what would be the landing place for UConn? CUSA or A10? The ACC is not looking to take UConn, at least not right now.

It goes back to the two points I made earlier.

1. Litigation
2. Not being blamed for killing off the BE and purposely destroying one particular school.

If you give UConn absolutely nothing to lose in filing a lawsuit, you'll end up in court.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Marinatto may have been pushing for Nova all along. At least that's the impression of some boneyarders, I can't recall anything on record specifically indicating that. We do know Pitt was against it - either generally , or at least specifically about the Philadelphia Union stadium.

Apparently, after inviting TCU, it was decided that BEHQ would wait around for the Wildcats to decide what they wanted to do, rather than being proactive by inviting other schools like Houston, who is currently undefeated and ranked No. 17 in the BCS standings. They could have been doing that as a Big East member. If Houston and Boise had been invited long before the recent cluster duckk of musical chairs, they would have accepted in a heartbeat. Now they're not so sure, and can anyone blame them?

Waiting around for Villanova is apparently what pissed off Pitt's president, to the point where he was willing to explore other options. That year or more that was wasted waiting for Villanova's decision is what's going to kill the Big East, and it was another classic example of letting the basketball onlies dictate the agenda.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that it was continually giving Nova more time while also refusing to look at anyone else (Houston for one) was what pissed off the schools that ended Nova's bid this past spring. Garbage like that could only happen in this conference.

Reaction Score
The relative quiet from Louisville tells me they were told not to worry. If the Big 12 gets BYU, Louisville will be next. BYU is to Louisville in the Big 12 what ND is to UConn in the ACC.

Reaction Score
The relative quiet from Louisville tells me they were told not to worry. If the Big 12 gets BYU, Louisville will be next. BYU is to Louisville in the Big 12 what ND is to UConn in the ACC.

The Pac-10 sort of blew things by not taking the Big12 schools, because instead of a move to 4 superconferences, we're looking at a move to 5 superconferences when the Texas and Oklahoma schools leave the Big12 in 7 years.

The league will still be viable with 8 teams, and they'll be looking to add Cincy and USF at that time (assuming UConn and Rutgers have already found a landing spot). After that, they'll be looking for other viable schools but I'm not sure schools like Houston and SMU will have upgraded enough to be considered.

Reaction Score
Outsmarted once. Not twice. We had another Commish at the time.

If we're not goint to let people simply make up facts in order to blame others for the predicament, we might as well close down the board. (Of course, with the character volume limit we sort of have.)

Reaction Score
Biz & Upstater - so are you both defending Marinatto? Don't want to put words in your mouth but appears that's the case Hard to believe if that's your position. He was around in 2004 and was asleep at the switch in 2011. That's my opinion.

Reaction Score
Biz & Upstater - so are you both defending Marinatto? Don't want to put words in your mouth but appears that's the case Hard to believe if that's your position. He was around in 2004 and was asleep at the switch in 2011. That's my opinion.

How am I defending him by saying he wasn't the commissioner in 2004?

Reaction Score

I have said repeatedly, I don't think he is up to the job. But many of the attacks on him are factually incorrrect and at times border on the absurd. I know that on this board defending someone from spurious attacks means you are defending what he has done, but in the real world that is not the case.

Reaction Score
Then AD, Ted Aceto cast deciding vote to deny Penn State membership;. citing too many concessions. He will later approve special concessions for ND and vote to approve ND’s membership void of its football program.
Then bball coach Rollie Massimino along with JT2 and Carnasecca, claims too difficult of a BE schedule to continue playing BE/ACC Challenge
Then bball coach Massimino claims too difficult of a BE schedule prevents Nova from continue playing round robin BIG 5 schedule.
Then prez rejects opportunity to upgrade football program in order to protect basketball program. Then AD, Gene DeFelippo cites this decision as his reason for leaving for BC.
After one year of so called due diligence, it submits a Romper Room, Captain Kangaroo proposal for admission as a football member
On September 17, 2011 the day ‘Cuse and Pitt to ACC was announced, football team loses 20-9 at home to Monmouth.
On a recent expansion call it allegedly “bashed Temple as a potential full member rather than making a strong case for the
conference to consider the Wildcats’ potential in football.”

Reaction Score
Marinatto's other big mission is to find the perfect microwaveable lasagna.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom